Yearly average

yotehunter74

ok guys for most of you the yote season is or has wound down... lets hear how many you harvested, state, and if you have some pics please show them off....

I ended up with 15 this year in central washington. My calling partner got 21. He ended up with more because I'm always the driver so he gets most of the "drive bys". I don't have any photos mainly because neither one of us remembers a camera (or neither one of us wants any excess weight in our backpacks as most of our calling is on walks 6-10mi long and our rifles weigh in at 14.5lbs)

Can I show off some old pics back when was young 30 or so years ago?
Then a few pics of the last couple years showing the old man still killing a few coyotes?
I'm no a young buck, but I still dust 35/45 a year on an average.
Sorry but I've never harvested anything in my life to my knowledge, I've always killed em.

i kill about 30 a year these days back in the 90's i averaged around 60 with a all time best of 158
when i was a kid i harvisted 60 acres of wheat and 30 ares of alfalfa every year.plus helped the neighbors with more farming.
milked alot of cows and built alot of fence too. raised quorter horses and some beef and sheep.
i do wish i rode horses as much as i did as a teenager nowdays i'm not good at it anymore. i'd rather ride a horse then a fourwheeler unfortunatly i don't have either now.

WesPictures008.jpg

This picture is my son with four coyotes. Three of these were taken with a shotgun. This last season we got 20 coyotes the year before we got 42 coyotes.

I took less this year than I have in any other year since I started calling. I had more fun than all those years combined. I had visiting hunters from 5 different states came here and all got shots. Took several newbies and they got shots. I hunted Texas, New Mexico, Arizona twice, and Oklahoma. this was by far my most enjoyable. I met some fine folks.

We killed 114 coyotes, 5 bobcat, and 6 fox. I didn't venture out West this season. We stayed in the "Tornado Alley" and hunted Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma (twice), and Texas.

Tony

Well, for me this year was disappointing. I only hunted about 1/4 of the days I usually do, due to low finances/poor fuel mileage in my old truck.

Hunted 16 days
Made 72 stands
Had 42 dry stands
Called 35 coyotes, 18 of which I took. My son only hit 1 coyote, but it was a glancing blow & he got away.
Also took 2 "drive-by" coyotes
Called 6 bobcats, took 1
Called 1 red fox & although many don't believe it, I called 1 cougar.

My best year was 2005/2006...
Hunted 60 days
Called 117 coyotes
Took 81

My worst year, to date, was my first...'95/'96.
Hunted 14 days
Called 16 coyotes & only took 6

I started out strong on the journal, but then ended up letting it slide. My numbers include various other hunters who were with me for the most part (elks, acuna metata, et al.). Between October 1, 2006 and March 1, 2007, we saw 118 coyotes while in a hunting situation (includes big game hunting), of which we called 78. We shot at 68 and killed 29 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif (I personally shot at 38 and killed 18). We called 142 stands on 21 days and had 56 positive stands. I hunted mostly in Wyoming this winter with just a couple of days in Colorado.

07-1-2WillowCreekRim.jpg

Here is one of our better days with five down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif We also had a day where we saw 20. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif We also got a couple of badgers this year, one of which we called in.

Knapper

Tony, how many stands do you think you would average in a day of calling? I average two stands per hour counting driving and walking time to the stands.

derby:
You averaged 2 stands per hour including driving & walking? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'd be curious to know how long you stay on stand & how far from the truck you set up? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
I'm just curious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Heck, personally I average about 7-8 stands in a full day [before sun-up until sundown].
But that's partly due to walking from 200 yds-3/4 mile from the truck to set up on most stands; sometimes drive 5+ miles between stands; & I stay on stand up to 45 minutes, depending on terrain/sign. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
The shortest I've ever stayed was 10 minutes [had 2 down by then] & the longest was 75 minutes trying to work in a pair I glassed over a mile away.
[It wasn't legally possible to get any closer, so it was either sit & work 'em, or let 'em be. With patience I put both in my truck after calling them to within 50 yds. That was work.] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I too, average about two stands per hour, with driving and walking thrown in the mix. With lunch breaks and snooze time thrown in from 11-2, if I hunt a full day rather than just a morning hunt, I probably get in 8 or 9 stands.
I seldom walk more than 3-400 yards from my truck, many times far less. depending on the terrain and situation.
I usually spend 15 minutes on stand, sometimes less, far fewer times more. In my particular area,and my particular technique, 15 minutes is optimum.

Man you guys keep such good records. Time on the stand? In a good area I well do about four stands an hour including driving time. thats about a 10 minute stand and move about a 1/2 mile. In an area not as good, I still do 10 minute stands, the only difference being I may move a mile or so. Things may change because of the area I'm hunting in. I hunt Nevada different then I do Arizona and California, but I hunt New Mexico like I do Arizona. Don't make any sense dose it lol.

Quite often I walk less than 200 yards from my truck to call. On some of the ridge tops I will park my truck 20 yards from the peak, then walk about 40 yards up and over the ridge and set up and start calling. Nothing can see my truck because it is on the backside of the ridge. I hardly ever call more than 15 minutes at a stand. I have erased about 10 seconds of sound on all of my tapes at 15 minutes so I know how long I have been calling. I also put a delay of 60 seconds on the start of the tapes so I can set the caller and start it, then I have one minute to get ready. When I am calling by myself I use a shotgun most of the time. I can find a good shotgun calling spot much faster than I can find a good rifle calling spot.

This is some of the ones Mason Jarr and I got 2006/2007. The Hunting Journal, page 2 has our total for this past season. Was a good year, and hope to get more this fall.

P1020175Small.jpg

P1020167Small.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Mason Jarr & GENE'O

I ended up with 29 between October and February. All daytime calling on weekends and a week vacation. No spotlighting allowed in my area at night.
I've had better years where I killed over 40 and maybe over 50. Here are a few of them from this last season that I got pictures of. Ron

100_0575.jpg

100_0623.jpg

100_0637.jpg

Back