220 swift problems getting a group

trailhound

Just purchased a new 220 swift barrel for my Encore. Can't seem to get a bullet to group with this barrel. Using IMR 4064 and H-380 for powders. Tried 50 & 55 grain V-max, 55 grain nosler balistic tips, and some plain jane 55 grain lead flat base. Best group so far is with 55 plain jane and 37.0 grains of 4064. Bullets are seated to spec. Thats about the only thing I haven't messed with is seating depth. Problem is usually shoots 4 good ones and then a flyer. Any suggestions?? I've tried from 39-41.5 with h-380 and from 37-39 with 4064. Going slower tommorrow when it get light.

I know your problem, I've seen it lots of times. The problem is that it's a 220 swift, you shoulda got a 22-250 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a 220 swift that likes 4064 and Serria 52-53 frain match king bullets. It's a Shilen DGA with a Shilen select match 1-14 twist SS barrel,and will put 5 in a 1/4"

My swift liked 38g IMR-4064 w/55g NBT's...Shot 3925fps and was hell on coyotes. Was .5" or under out of my Ruger Target at 100 yards. All I ever shot was 4064 w/the heavier bullets. I tried H380 and RL-15 w/the 40g bullets only to see what kinda smoking velocity I could get. 40g VLC's over a stiff charge of H380 would do 4550fps and shoot .5"!! 40g NBT's were pushed to 4400fps!

If your getting 4 in and 1 out, chances are its seating depth...Try doing .2g increments to fine tune powder charge, then go to .005-.010" in seating depth to fine tune. 4 in and 1 out isn't to horribly bad for hunting anyways...

Swift is just as accurate as any 22-250, dont let anyone tell you different...

Trailhound,

Kyotekiller25 is right......For what ever reason some T/C barrels prefer the bullets seated darn near touching the lands. Not sure what you seating depth is but try his suggestion.

Have you floated the fore-arm???

I just finished working with a T/C pro hunter 25-06 barrel.
I needed to "float" the fore-arm twice. The fore-arm was pivoting on the barrel at the front screw stud. A dremel tool and sandpaper cured that. The fore-end tip after the relieving of the stud almost contacted the barrel.

Off to the range I went with some new 25-06 loads with the Hornady 120HP. The first 3 groups were 1 1/2+ inches. Frustrated, I placed a folded match book cover under the fore-arm tip to increase the fore-end pressure on the barrel.

The next several 3 shot groups went into .589 and 558.

Who knew!!!

Are you properly setting headspace for your barrel???

DocCoyote, I own four different 22-250's right now so I know how they shoot. Plus a number of other calibers. Some of which will out shoot all my 250's.................

Quote:
"DocCoyote" why do you have to be like that???

I hope y'all know I was joking. This heat here makin' me feel saucy.

When we used H380 in our .22-250's and a friend's Swift, we got markedly better performance using a CCI Mag. primer than a standard primer. We had to drop back 1/2 grain from our previously worked up loads, but the accuracy was definitely improved by the primer change. However, we found H380 to be sensitive to drops in temperature and gave large velocity variations when chronographed at around 25 degrees. We ended up switching to SR4064.

I though everyone knew that old comment/joke---let it pass. It's nice to know someone read your post.

Trailhound--You didn't give much detail about your group size or whether the flyer is first, last or in middle somewhere, nor did you say whether your shooting off a solid machine rest or over a rolled coat, but
I've seen a lot of guys go to the range and clean the barrel between every group. That's a certain way to throw a flyer per group.
If the other shots are good, it's probably not the primer, powder or projectile. It's more likely range technique; like breathing, trigger pull, stress on the stock, concentration, barrel heat and length of time the loaded cartridge is left in the warm barrel before firing. Etc., Etc., Etc.

I'm shooting off a rock solid rest. And no it's not me it's the barrel. I'm sighting in and messing around with a 204,22-250,220swift all Encore barrels and a 22-250 Ruger target. The only one with flyers is the swift barrel.
Yesterday loaded up some loads not so fast and got a very good group with h-380 and 38.5 grains. Not a barn burner by any means but its going on a prairie dog mission so it will not get as hot so quick. Tried moving the bullet towards the lands more helped some and am waiting for the wind to quit blowing to do some more testing. The flyer usually comes on the 3rd or 4th round of a 5 shot group. And no, I'm not wasting my time cleaning between groups or even 20 rounds. This gun is going to shoot prairie dogs all day without a cleaning and it will have to shoot all day without a cleaning just like all my others except the 204. Which does foul the barrel after about 125 rounds.

I'd suspect making changes to the velocity may make more difference than making distance-to-lands variations, but it sounds like you have a plan in mind for making changes to your loads to minimize any barrel issues. Good luck.

If the winds die down today around here, I too hope to go test some loads.

Back