52 grain BTHP Match bullet

Pack_Wolf

Is there any reason that a 52 grain BTHP would not make a good hunting bullet?
I had some bad blow ups last winter on coyote using 50 gr V max. I am looking for another bullet, and bought several hundred of the Hornady BTHP match, and then saw somewhere, (can't find it now) that they did not make a good hunting bullet.

Thanks,

Pack

They work great in my rifles. Dead dogs/furfriendly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The manufacturers usually say not to use match bullets for hunting because the jacket may not open consistently. Alot of hunters use them because they are very accurate, and most rifles shoot them well. With the velocity of typical varmint rounds I dont think it is as big of an issue as with a heavier big game type of match bullet. Varmints will die with a well placed shot whether the bullet opens up or not.

When I first started reloading for my 22-250 I loaded the 52 gr HPBT Sierra Match bullet. Then I read in the Sierra reloading manual that they thought reloading match bullets for hunting was not a good idea. I started reloading the Sierra 55 gr HPBT hunting bullet and it did drop coyotes much better. I had many more exit holes and coyotes running off and dieing with the match bullets. I am now using 55 gr V-Max in the 22-250 and 75 gr V-Max for my 243 and don't get very many exit holes.

when i was useing the 55 gr i had more walking wounded at under 100 yrds the bullit held together to well when i went to the 52 gr that problem was solved
i was useing a 220 swift and it poked threw coyotes to fast at under 100 yrds the 55's never opened up pinhole in and out some coyotes ran 600 yrds before they tipped over.
the 52's started dumpping them right there.
had hundreds of kills with the swift and the 52 clearly out killed the 55

Which brand?? Theres only about 10 different 52g hpbt bullets on the market...I"m assuming your talking about either sierras or hornadys though. Only shot 1 coyote with the 52g SMK out of a 22-250 at around 300 yards. It did the job alright. Put the bullet where it needs to go, and you'll have your coyote..

I will agree with the others. They are great coyote bullets from a 223 through a 22-250 in my experiences. Never had a failure with them.

I use the Sierra version of that bullet, and have killed a ton of coyotes with it, along with maybe a dozen deer and one antelope,several javelinas and a truck load of P-dogs and jackrabbits.

Sierra 52gr match hp. It is the only bullet I use any more in my 22-250's and the 220 swift. Don't care what the loads books say about not using them for hunting they work great for coyotes.

52bthp hornady all the way. That is all I use in my 223, 22-250's and also my brother and uncle use them exclusively. Very accurate and little fur damage, not to mention very good killing power.Try using 35 grains of H380 with that bullet, or IMR 4895 in you 223. Good luck.

From what I have heard, all Sierra bullets are technically "match" bullets. Their blitzking is basically a match hp with a plastic tip.

The only experience I have with 52 gr. MHP on coyotes was not a good one. I was shooting Black Hills 52 gr. MHP. I called a coyote in at 100 yards, first shot spined her leaving a 2"+ exit. Then put a finishing shot in its lungs and again a 2"+ exit.

I like the 52 gr SMK bullet and 55 SSP for both Ar and bolt guns. They work pretty good on coyotes if you want the pelt.
Hornady calls their varmint bullets V max. Varmints are typically blown to little bits with a lot of red mist. The bullet that does that to a prairie dog won't hold together on a full size predator. Splash on a rib or shoulder bone is not uncommon with varmint bullets. I shoot thousands of V Max bullets every year and love the way the work on varmints.
I shoot a 17 MK4 with 25 grain Bergers on coyotes when the pelts are to be kept. In the summer months, I only hunt the indian reservations and use a big 25 (257 STW) caliber with Speer 100 grain hollow points that will turn one inside out. If it didn't kick so hard, I'll bet there is some red mist to be seen.

Wow, I was going to post this very topic this evening. Then I saw this one. I have been working with a new T3 22-250 and it seems to LOVE 52 gr bullets. Especially Sierra HP Match. I was worried that I wasn't going to get a 55gr to shoot as well. I figured the 52 was on the light side for yotes. I guess I was wrong. Sounds like it has a good following among yotie whackers. It shoots 52gr AMax very very well also. How does it compare to the conventional HP Match? Anyone ever whack yotes with the AMax?

Quote:
Wow, I was going to post this very topic this evening. Then I saw this one. I have been working with a new T3 22-250 and it seems to LOVE 52 gr bullets. Especially Sierra HP Match.

What load are you using ? I also shoot a T3 22-250.

Back