Homemade stakes

Don't use stakes anymore but when I did I used scrap re-bar that you can get from constuction site dumpsters. Cut to what ever length you like and weld a washer or nut at one end....and there you have a stake.

chris from nv.

I use rebar 1/2" for my snares. Earth anchors for traps, on coyotes. A building center will have new rebar, use a chop saw to cut it to length. Or cut it half to 2/3rds through and break it the rest of the way by bending it.T.20

I made my own cable stakes last year. I patterned them after the pogo anchers. I used nuts instead of cable ferrules. It worked great. I forgot how much it cost but it was WAY less than rebar. You do need a driver for cable stakes but I made my own too.

I always used re-bar with a hex nut welded to the top. A washer will end up getting beat up pretty bad when hammering in the stake. I would go with at least 18 inch stakes. 3/8 re-bar should be plenty big.

When I use rebar it is for my snares only now. I use a homemade earth anchor for trapping. Here a 24" X1/2" stake is just asking for trouble, sooner or later you will get one pumped out. The earth anchor gives you nearly 300 degrees of swiveling action, a stake will only allow it to go round and round. If the ground is hard as a rock and no rain, a stake may work better.T.20

A guy in town does it that way he has lost a couple, I see no need to carry twice the weight to make one set. You can carry a hundred earth anchors in one hand. Stakes would also be too much weight on the atv, as many traps as I set out when out west and at home. T.20

I like washers on my stakes but you have to put them down about 3/8 to keep from getting hammered up. 18 in. is fine up to and inclueding fox but cable stakes for me for the yotes.

Here in the UK i have been using 1" angle iron at about 18" lengths for attatching snares to, but am interested in what you fellas are using. New ideas from across the water etc. Please can somebody send me some info and maybe pictures or links. Regards Nightwalker.

Go to the trapping section and then the disposable stakes. I use the Berkshire....These guys will ship usually the same day your order is placed, if not the next day. Lenons Fox All Call and Coyote All Call are great lures. STINKY!!!

http://www.fntpost.com/

Last edited:
Here's a picture:

sorry, I deleted the picture from my Photobucket album, and I guess it deletes it from the post.

Last edited:
I personally haven't used the pogos but I know guys who love them. He has a video on youtube showing exactly how it works. He then hooks a horse to it and slaps it on the tail. Horse didn't budge it! Check it out.

I make my own pogo stakes and caught 126 coyotes last year and never had a problem. I used 15" 3/32 cable and 1 1/2" fender washers and made my own drivers. They work great and wouldn't use any other stake. They cost about .18 apiece.

Back