Hornady Amax vs Vmax

sleddogg

I know we covered this before, but I can't search it out.

Anyone know the difference (if any) in construction?

Thanks, Sleddogg

AMax's are designed to perform on targets (Accuracy, hence the "A") and reports are they perform adequately on big game.

V-Maxes are lightly constructed "varmint" bullets, designed to disintegrate upon impact with darn near anything. While they almost invariably ensure a quick kill on varmints, their main reason for existance is the greatly reduced chance of ricochets after contacting the target or the ground.

Mike

OK then, I love the accuracy of the Vmaxes in my 223's, but to be honest I have lost my confidence in them on coyotes.

Is the Amax simply a tougher V?

Anyone shooting coyotes with Amaxes???

Quote:
OK then, I love the accuracy of the Vmaxes in my 223's, but to be honest I have lost my confidence in them on coyotes.

What happened Brian? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Have you tried the 60-65gr bullets?

There was a post a while back that Byron South made that also addressed VMaxs and some problems he had witnessed in the lighter (under60gr) choices.

Here's the discussion if you missed it: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...ue#Post52435232

EDIT/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gifSORRY. I just looked back at that thread...you were involved in the discussion. Oh Well.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:
I have not personally used any AMaxes. I do know a hunter or two that swears by them on deer sized game. Take my opinion with a grain of salt (like I said, I've no personal experience with the AMax), but I'm thinking its terminal performance would be about the same as a CoreLokt, except the polymer tip should help out some with the BC and yield better accuracy.

What chambering are you shooting?

Mike

If you have lost faith in the V-max I would stray from the A-max. The v-max is a rapid expansion/fragmentation projectile. I have yet to loose a yote with a v-max round, most are bang flops. I know there are alot of diehard v-max fans (like myself). Dont kill me for saying this but I would check other things before changing my bullet. The A-max is basically a match round. Super ballistics, but from personal experience they dont carry the expansion properties needed for big game (Ive only shot one yote w/ the amax). Ive quit the a-max alltogether for hunting purpose's, but will vouch for the hornady sp for hunting......

My $.02

hello...i have..zero..experiance with the a-max...i thought that the difference between the v-max & a-max was that the a-max was a match bullet with a polymer tip ?? i could only guess & say it's not tougher than a v-max ???

In the 224 caliber, the two (A-Max and V-Max) are the same bullet - same jacket thickness, same core, same point.

In the larger calibers, the V-Maxs are lighter, and the A-Maxs are heaver... but the same jacket thickness and same tips.

(... the above from Hornady.)

The A-max isn't any tougher than the V-max and works great on yotes. In fact I have had them surface splash on shoulder shots on yotes though they did the deed. I'd be curious as to why you have lost faith in the V-max.
Alot of vermin bullets will work great on deer as well on broad side through the rib cage, head, and neck shots. Doesn't make it a good choice in my book just because it can work exceptionally well when everything is perfect and just as easily perform dismally when things aren't.
I'd be curious as to why you have lost faith in the V-max.
The Noler NBT's are a little tougher as they have a tapered jacket but usually V-max has the accuracy edge IME.

I have not shot any 'yotes with the Amax. However, I have shot quite a few woodchucks, and a couple whitetails with the 75Amax out of a 22-250. The Amax works perfectly fine on the 'chucks, not as explosive as the Vmax though. I have to agree with the above post, I would take a CNS poke with one, but would try my hardest to stay away from bone. Now on wt's it was a friggin' grenade in my experiences. I shot 2 with them last year, farther one was 250yds. It worked and I got a bang-flop but hardly any penetration. I would not use the Amax on a deer sized critter again, at least in the 22-250. There are much better choices in deer bullets but I had to try it for myself.

I have used the vmax's and in the last 2 years have only had to finish off a coyote once. I think I only had one or two run off and die {30 yards max.} All but the ones mentioned earlier have droped in their tracks without even a kick or twitch. A guy that buys furs said he cut one open and it looked like a bomb went off inside, everything had damage. I do want to try the amax's to see what they do.

Quote:
I'd be curious as to why you have lost faith in the V-max.

Chuck...... The Vmax is simply the most accurate 224 caliber bullet I've ever shot. Thats in multiple 223 Remingtons.

However, folks must understand that in the East, I'm faced with shots on coyotes that can literally be double the size folks have in the West.

The 40 and 50, even the 55 grain V's have left me with tracking jobs and the need for follow up shots less common with SP's and HP's.

Conversely the Vmax has killed coyotes before they hit the ground for me. Just very unrepeatable performance.

I think part of the problem besides body size is most shots are under 150 yards, and the V is super explosive at close range.

The very few coyotes I've triggered with the Vmax way out there have delivered excellent performance.

But I love the Vmax accuracy, and many times have to thread the needle through tiny holes in the forest. The Vmax has consistantly ( by a wide margin ) delivered the best accuracy in my 224 bores.

So I was hoping for a little tougher Vmax.

Maybe the 60 grain Vmax will help, and I will try it in the fall.

But probably on a 50 pounder quartering in the only help is a bigger round. I realize this.

Guess there is no free lunch in killing power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for the info guys!

sleddogg,

I know where you are coming from. I don't get shots at 100 yotes a year and hate to pass on one because of a bad angle. I have been working a 53gr. TSX load for deer this fall with the 223AI. I am really considering giving the TSX's a shot (no pun intended) this winter on yotes. Cost is no concern for me, I would rather have the performance I am looking for. I know they are not going to come apart on odd angle shots and I will have exits every time. I just don't know what will happen when I hit bones. Only one way to find out though.

Sleddog,
Try the 60 grain Vmax and let us know how it does on big eastern dogs. I've been wanting to try them for a couple years now and never gotten around to it. Better yet, try the 75 grain amax and give me a reason to want to put together a fast twist 22/250.

Aside from soft points, I've had good luck with 55 grain balistic tips on Iowa dogs which can get fairly large. Another bullet that has worked well for me is the 68 grain hornady match hollow point but I've only shot a couple yotes with them so...

On a side note, the guys in my agency out here in California that work in condor range have had to go to lead free bullets. They are getting some great groups with the Barnes 53 grain triple shoks but hate the performance they are getting on coyotes. Luckily I don't work in condor range and get issued 50 grain balistic tips which work fine on these small S. Cal dogs.

Snip'
Quote:
Sleddog,
Better yet, try the 75 grain amax and give me a reason to want to put together a fast twist 22/250.

Snip'

Brother, you don't need a reason. But just for conversation...I have an 8 twist 22-250. It will push the the 75Amax to ~3300 with a 22" tube. Plug that bullet's BC (.435) and speed into your ballistic software with a 250yd. zero. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It won't leave you wanting much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It is the bottom one in the picture.

100_1492.jpg

I would have to think a 60gr V-Max should do the trick. I have never lost a yote to the 55 V-Max and have killed 42-lb yotes with my .17 Rem using 30gr bullets. However, I don't try them at 2 to 300 yds.

Back