Crying baby call?

coyotewillie

I've read in magazines before of people using a crying baby recording to call coyotes. Well, I've got my first grandchild, and after listening to her cry, think this might just work! Anyone else use this, and how did you record it? Thanks. Greg

This one unsettles me a bit.

Undoubtedly the baby cry will call dogs. But I'd rather not condition coyotes to respond to baby crys.

With the magnatude of sounds available electronically today, why not pick something else thats rare.

I live in an area with a low coyote density, and have killed hundreds over the years with a simple rabbit sound. I've used a pup distress, and woodpecker on a handcall with success, so it seems all you really need is a willing coyote that is unaware of your presense.

Concentrate on set-up, and keep coyotes comomg to natural distress in the wild.

Sorry, but I can't share your concern on "conditioning" coyotes. Coyotes are already genetically conditioned to come to a distress call. Now, you you can further condition them by missing your shots and training them that it's not always a good idea to come in unwarily. Or, don't miss, and they're dead! I understand that there are more and more instances of urban attacks by displaced? coyotes looking for a meal. But the only way their conditioning would be rewarded is by attacking and killing an infant time and again. This doesn't happen and I can't feel that it will. Not impossible, but not probable. As far as conditioning, I've used the pup distress also over the years with success. But I haven't heard of an increase (actually any at all) of any dogs/pups being killed by coyotes because of me or other callers using the pup distress either. Greg

Willie - I respect your veiw and you are probably right ......... I realize the attack on an infant is a long shot. My point was however, using an infant sound is unneeded with so many other sounds available.

Attacks happen in the East

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=52543990

Quote:
I've used the pup distress also over the years with success. But I haven't heard of an increase (actually any at all) of any dogs/pups being killed by coyotes because of me or other callers using the pup distress either.

In Massachusettes the coyotes pluck the little dogs right of their ties around here, and there are virtually no outdoor cats left. 3 human attacks last year.

So my thinking was based on my area, and I believe it is a moot point in the big country of Nebraska. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You're right there Sleddogg, I think too that the region makes a lot of difference. Out here you don't hear of attacks like we see sometimes in the east/west higher populated areas. And while theres a lot of calls I haven't tried yet, its just the idea of something new and really different. I read about this before and it really made an impression on me when I heard my granddaughter cry the first time. Just seemed like it had to be a sure winner. Thanks for the replies, its been an interesting discussion! Greg

Quote:
I've read in magazines before of people using a crying baby recording to call coyotes. Well, I've got my first grandchild, and after listening to her cry, think this might just work! Anyone else use this, and how did you record it? Thanks. Greg

Well, I tried it back when I was younger and... (you may fill in the blank as you choose.) My first born, a girl, sounded like a superb predator call when she cried. I thought her cry might call critters. Within a week however her cry had changed too much to sound like a good call so I didn't record her.

With our second child, a son, I was more ready and got a cassette tape of him crying when he was three days old. Already his cry was changing from the ideal of a newborn, to my ear anyway. I plugged a mic in the small tape recorder/player which was the high tech of the day, and held it over his bassinette. I'd record 10-20 seconds, fast forward a guesstimate of a minute, record another 15 seconds, etc. till I had about 20 minutes worth. My wife was mildly horrified but she agreed that we were going to let him cry a bit anyway right then.

First time out it called in a coyote. I did it just to see if it would work and have never used it since. Still have the tape of my now strapping son crying.

If you are going to record a baby, do it as soon as possible after he or she is born for the best sound to my ear.

Quote:

Undoubtedly the baby cry will call dogs. But I'd rather not condition coyotes to respond to baby crys.

It seems to me that a baby cry may in the long run deter a coyote attack. If the dog comes in and busts the hunter or gets shot at, he is ultimately educated. The next time he hears that sound he act like a typical educated dog and be very hesitant about committing to coming to that sound.

So for the safety of the children, use the crying baby sound!

I had never heard of using the crying baby sound to call in Coyotes but it makes darn good sense. A few years back, I worked at an archery outfitter. For the 5 seasons I worked there, the same guy came in every year to check in bear that he had killed with his bow. On the third year we asked him what his secret was, and he told us. A tape recording of his youngest daughter crying when she was approximately 3 months old. He said that it sounded EXACTLY like a baby bear in distress, and any bear (boar or sow) within 2 miles would come running. We thought he was full of it, and then he brought the tape in and played it in the shop. I think he was on to something then, and it is bound to work on coyotes if it works on bear.

-BANDIT

Back