110 gr .300 win mag.?

ohioguyshakes

Does this bullet really exist? I've searched and searched for it but cannot find it anywhere. I've only found them for .270, 6.8mm, .308, and 30-06. If anyone knows where I can find a 110 grain v-max for my .300 win mag, please let me know. I'd love to shoot them if there is such a thing. Thanks.

I’ve always heard that the 110gr bullet is unstable at high speeds because of the short bullet length compared to its diameter. This was usually said about using the 110’s in a 30-06 and I guess it would relate to the 300 mag. If that is not true I’d be tempted to load some 110s for my 300.

I’ve always heard that the 110gr bullet is unstable at high speeds because of the short bullet length compared to its diameter.
===========================================================
They stabilize just fine if you have the right twist. There are some Bedford county boys that made some groundhog hunting video's that use a 300WSM loaded with the light 30 cal. bullets out to 700 yds. and beyond. Splat factor is pretty good!! I think they settled on the 125 NBT, but he's used the 110's as well, at over 4100 fps.

http://www.richardscustomrifles.com/huntingvideos.htm
F1

Last edited:
I have had some experience with the 110 gr. 30 cals. My 14 yr shoots his 30-06 Stevens at ab out 3100 fps and has been able to put 8 into a 3/4 hole. My Marlin 336 30-30 does about the same at (I believe) 2800 fps. It makes the Marlin a 1 or 2 shot gun, but it serves well as a loaner/ back up gun that way. We are looking at warming the 06 up a bit now that my son is bigger than I am. Hornady book says they will go up to 3500 with IMR 4895. Should b e interesting.
Ganderman

I don't think there is a factory loading. So you have to reload. I was given 200 110gr speer softpoints and found good accuracy while fire forming new brass. I think the load was 75.0gr h414 @ 3650fps.

I did extensive reloading with my 300 Win Mag... One of my friends who shoots a 30-06 told me years ago (1989) to try the Sierra Varminter 110gr hollow point. I was reluctant to try it for deer. So, I looked in my reloading manual, found a load that was 3,600 FSP, loaded it and went to sight it in. Using my Rugar MK-II Left handed bolt action, and adjusting my 4X12 scope after each shot, I hit the exact center of the target on the 3rd shot@ 100 yards. Having shot rifles all my life, I made a bet with my friend Lee that I could put a bullit through the bullit hole for $20.00. Hi bit on it, and after I took the shot while he was spotting, he said, "You missed". I said now way. He said you hit nothing..I said, the bullit went through the same hole. He said, your nuts!!! So, I said, ok then, how about I drive the nail holding the target? He said ok. My bullit hit the nail dead center and the fragments cut a perfect circle around the target. The nail was burried in the dead tree...
That was the only rifle I have ever owned that shot perfect... Anyway, I've used the 110HP on many, many deer and NEVER have I had one get up and run since changing to this load. It might do some damage, but I don't like to walk for miles looking for a Buck anymore... The exit whole is usually 4~6 inches... They just die...Best shot was 350 yards. Buck standing on a hill top, in the rain, and I was standing on the ground telling Lee to shoot.. He didn't, I did. Cross hairs level with the top of his back next to his shoulders. The bullit dropped 3 inches and took out his spine... Good eatin...
This is a nasty load for ground hogs... 30 cal in, exploads the entire back out... Nasty!!!! I love it!

I thought about loading some of the hornady 110,s for my 300 RSAUM and my 06 but I was worried about the pressure. Anyone know what type of pressure these loads are putting out ? Man I bet they are smokin !!!

I have ran into some crazy dudes shooting the 125's with really amazing accuracy and speed in the 300 win mag, but
never the 110's until ByronC!

The 125's in the 300 Win Mag are unreal accurate and fast!

Maybe if you send ByronC a PM, he will give you his secret recipe!

Good luck!

At closer ranges (under 300 yards) they should shoot quite flat and turn woodchucks into an unaffiliated plasma of electrons, neutrons, and protons.

If you want to shoot much further (past 400 all the way out to 1000), you might want to use a much heavier bullet, as the light ones run out of steam fairly quickly and the wind will blow them all over the map.

i will be reloading some serria 125 grain spitzer bullets in a 300wsm. i will let you know how they work. I will be using Varget powder.

Ohio,
In the 60's my brother and I didn't have a varmint rifle caliber so I tried loading 110 Gr. in my O6' and they did not shoot very well, however when I switched to 125 Gr. they shot very good and accurate. The 110 is like the other guys said, its too short for the dia. and just don't shoot tight. They still make them. Sierra makes a 110 HP and a 125 Spitzer. I would go with the 125 gr/ Also Hornady makes a 110 v-max and then jumps to a 130 gr. Hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Originally Posted By: peterjcOhio,
In the 60's my brother and I didn't have a varmint rifle caliber so I tried loading 110 Gr. in my O6' and they did not shoot very well, however when I switched to 125 Gr. they shot very good and accurate. The 110 is like the other guys said, its too short for the dia. and just don't shoot tight. They still make them. Sierra makes a 110 HP and a 125 Spitzer. I would go with the 125 gr/ Also Hornady makes a 110 v-max and then jumps to a 130 gr. Hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

What kind of fps did you get eith the 125's?

Picked up a Remington 700 Sendaro afew years ago in 300win. I ran 100-120 rounds of 110 V-max for Prarie dogs with rather entertaining results. My chrono was picking them up right at 3750fps. Recoil was rather pleasand and the report for the impact was impressive. I threaded my Sendaro and ran the Shadow XL TI.

Back