Ruger Hawkeye .22/250 any good????

kshuntercb

Hey guys, I am still shopping for a .22/250. Tonight I saw a Ruger Hawkeye blued walnut stock in .22/250. I had not given much thought to Ruger but liked this gun for a walk and stalk coyote gun, it has a 22" barrel. Anyone have experience with the Ruger Mark II which I believe the Hawkeye is replacing? I hear Remington and Savage talked about alot but not Ruger. Anyone have a Hawkeye or have any impressions on the Ruger bolt actions? I am interested in accuracy and dependability. Thanks

I have always had good luck with Rugers, they are good guns and are usually very accurate. The main difference is suppose to be the new and improved trigger. The main gripe everyone had with markII was the trigger, and some had decent triggers. The overall quality of Ruger is normally outstanding. Ask Hidalgo about the Ruger m77VT's he has for accuracy, but those are heavy barrel guns. If the gun is in the $475-$525 range you will not beat the gun for the $. Rugers have in my opinion always been as good, or better than Remington, and Savages. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have a Ruger 204 M77 Mark II & loved everything except for the trigger. I had a Timmney trigger put in it & it is deadly accurate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif. I have read that the Ruger Hawkeye LCR6 tirgger is much improved. I will probably buy a Hawkeye Ruger on my next gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Great info guys, thanks! Bass Pro the Hawkeye for $579 here in KC. Either the walnut or black synthetic version. I may have to try one. I justed wanted to make sure I wasnt getting a mini 14 with a bolt even though i like my mini, just not for things i want to hit!

Rugers have been plenty accurate enough for me. And they're very reliable. Up here, they're real popular mainly due to the reliability. And Ruger has good customer service. I currently own several Rugers, a Remington, and a CZ. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ruger.

They're not the prettiest guns, but I'm not afraid to take them out and get them dirty, either. The old trigger can be fixed up real good by a competent gunsmith. Haven't had a chance to try out the new trigger yet.

Quote:
The old trigger can be fixed up real good by a competent gunsmith. Haven't had a chance to try out the new trigger yet.

This is very, very true.

If you do a bit of research and footwork, you might find that a lot of shops are selling the MarkII rifles at discounted prices so they can go ahead and put the Hawkeyes on the shelves. From what I can tell, you aren't gaining anything with the Hawkeye except the new trigger. A little more pleasant woodwork, but that's about it. Our local Sportsmans Whse is selling their MarkII rifles for $60-$120 off regular prices. FWIW, I wouldn't move any of my older Rugers out just for the sake of replacing them with the new rifles. As far as Ruger accuracy, their reputation is still taking a beating from years past. The newer models (2001-up) are shooters. Any of my 5 VT models will shoot WAY better than I am capable of shooting them. I just worked up a load for a 2002 vintage VT in .223 that put 3 of 5 in the same hole. Don't be afraid of Ruger's old reputation. They are very capable rifles. JMO.

I've got the MKII in 22-250. Walnut and blue, it's one of my most acccurate rifles. Last time I shot it for groups, it put 3 shot under 3/4" at 200 yards. Action has been bedded, and the trigger is a Timney. The M77s I've bought since have had the trigger reworked, takes about half a hour and ususally turns out great with a bit of patience.

I have an old Ruger 77 ultra light 243 with a trigger I did myself. Easy. Its as good as any Remington, CZ or Savage I own.

Rugers have been bashed by folks here, but the simple fact is they are good, solid, dependable hunting rifles. Mine shoots 1 and a half inch groups every day I shoot it at the range for the last 20 some odd years...........hundreds of coyotes killed. Not bad for a pencil barrel 6 pound gun.

A hunter will not go wrong with a Ruger, as they shoulder and point well. The only thing I wish they didn't "improve" was the old tang safety. The new style 3 position safety is a bit clunky. Savage and Remington have the most effortless safeties now.

Ruger action is my favorite over Remington, CZ, Savage to name a few. Only action I've found as slick is a Browning "A" bolt. Ruger is good stuff man.

The NEW Ruger Hawkeye model that stands out for the coyoteman is the 223, with a 1 in 9 twist, and of course a matte barrel and upgraded trigger. All you will need in a callin' gun.

Sadly the 22-250 is still a 14 Twist with the Hawkeye, and a more modern 12 twist such as Savage would have given the 22-250 shooter the option of a bit heavier bullet.

The Hawkeye came in under the radar screen, but you would be wise to look them over.

Hey guys, I went back and bought the Hawkeye today. I got the .22/250 version. I really like it, it has a nice looking walnut stock and the weight and handling feels great, I cant wait to shoot it. Now I've got to buy another scope first. I'll be sure to post a range report as soon as I get some results. Thanks again for the input on Rugers.

Let us know what you think of the trigger. I am interested to know how many lbs it is set at? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Back