Benchrests

coyotestalker

I was just wondering what type of rest you all use at the range. I am just using a makeshift one and it is not very steady. I need something real steady, so that I can get a true accurate group for my loads and rifles.

coyotestalker

I use a set of home made sand bags. They actually work really well. The only hang up is that I have to work the gun into the bags and keep monkeying with them to get the gun at a steady rest. Once it's settled all I have to do is grip it and rip it. I to would like to have a really nice and strong rest for stability but for now the sand bags work fine.

I use a Sinclair or Caldwell front rest, with a Protektor rear bag. The Caldwell will be a little bit more pocket friendly, about 80 bucks while the Sinclair rests will run over 200 bucks.

The rear bag you can pick up for 20-25 bucks. It depends on how serious you are about shooting at the bench. A good set of bags can make a world of difference in enhanceing your accuracy and shrinking those groups. It is also easier to get the gun in the same place with every shot.

-MP

On our last pdog hunt I took a foldable sawhorse that I bought at Menards. Attached a 1 X 6 pine board to the top and had plenty of room for a rear rabbit ear rest. My front rest was home made using a sissors jack from Sears. Light, easy to carry and very sturdy. Carry your gear in a five gallon bucket and then sit on the bucket while shooting.

In between Mike P.'s suggestions lay the Hart and Wichita (sp) Rests. These are cast iron like the Sinclair, a little extra weight doesn't hurt, and they will accept any of the popular upgrades for the Bald Eagle and Sinclair rests. A little side note, Sinclair hasn't always made their own rests. They would use the Hart pedistal and attach their own goodies to it.

Monies and points of reference

Caldwell = ~$80.00 - Midway, Midsouth, a few others
Wichita = ~$130.00 - Lock Stock & Barrel, Midway [on the internet, not in their catalog]
Hart = ~$170.00 - About the only place I've found them is on the Hart Website
Sinclair - ~$175.00-$400.00 Sinclair Internetional Website/Catalog depending on options
Bald Eagle - ~$175.00-$400.00 Bald Eagle Website depending on options

These prices are approximate and it should be noted that many many options are available and will quickly drive the prices up. Also these prices do not include the bag, Good baggs run about $30.00.

I agree with the Hart rest, having used one for many years. Sinclair makes various tops for them in case you wish to try something different. It'll run you about $200. I guess. For another $30. you can get a decent set of bags. You can send away for the Hart and Sinclair catalog right from their internet sites. That way you'll have your own little wish book, and good ones at that.
Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

I've just purchased this bag and though I havent made it to the range yet, I have shot around the house a little. This bag holds the rifle super steady and it is definitely one you ought to check out. Here's the website:

http://dog-gone-good.com/

GB

I use a regular front bag/rear bag I got from Cabellas a while ago. One thing I found out with the bag rests: If you fill them with sand they will be heavy (duh!) and more than likely the handle will tear at the stiching causing a leak. Mine has been patched with duct tape for some time now. Ideally, I'll stitch it up and fill the bag with some old tumbler media since it is much lighter than sand.

The bag works great for my regular bolt guns, but the AR-15, with its protruding magazine well needs to have the front bag proped up (staple gun case works well) to create adequate height to clear the magazine and pistol grip.

A Sinclair rest has been on my want list...but I opted to save some $$ and just picked up a Caldwell front rest with a Protektor rear bag. I am happy with this setup...granted it doesnt have all the bells & whistles, it fully served its purpose for a good price. This setup was MUCH better then the Sharp Shooter rest I had been using.

The hot setup at the benchrest matches is a steerable front rest. I can't remember who makes it but I think it is about $600. Most shooters are also using extra heavy sand to fill at least the rear bag. Sinclair sells it and claims it takes 15 pounds for a rear bag.

Jack

I am also looking for a new benchrest and I know somebody who has a Hart rest and loves it. I am hoping to find out some more info about Hart. What is there website? Thanks for the help.

I don't have Harts web adress handy right now but jump onto google and type in Hart and maybe ome adders like bench rest or even rifle barrels. The site sill pop right up with several others. The site is not as handy to use as some others but useable non-the-less. Cost wise top quality Hart rests end up at close to what some of the other no extras rests start. One thing to note. Sinclair rests use an iron that is less brittle than some of the others. This will ensure that the rest will bounce rather that break ifropped.

Other than weight (and remember weight is good), the Caldwell rest is very attractive. It has the same foot print as the more expensive rests and will take all the upgrade goodies available for the others as well. So when it comes time for a windage top, hardened feet and a speed screw, no problem the Caldwell rest will get the job done very nicely with a very reasonable investment.

I can't remember the website, but there is an ad in Varmint Hunter magazine for national match rifle rests that looks really nice but expensive. I think the basic model is $300.

Back