Which .204 AR Rifle ???

SAGERATTER

Hey Guys first post! It's a great Forum and just signed up.

I'm looking to get a .204 in either a AR platform or maybe the new Volquartsen Evolution. My targets are Coyotes and of course Sage Rats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

What brand would you reccomend for the AR Rifle?? I was looking at the Les Bauer .204, Bushmaster either a complete gun or just an upper for my Colt 6700, and now that I saw D Tech maybe one of his?

I would love to hear back from any of you guys on what AR brand in .204 you or your buddies are shooting and how they like it, how was the accuracy etc etc?

Can you see impact with the AR in .204 with out a Compensator?

I'm also considering the Volquartsen Evolution in .204 I have a Volquartsen in 17HMR and it is one of the most accurate guns out of the box I own. I'll try and post some pics it's a deadly accurate rifle. Have any of you shot or have any feed back on the Evolution??

Last edited:
For a factory gun, the DPMS is very nice. The only one I ever shot would group 35 grain Bergers in less than 1/2" 3 shot groups. I took a look inside the barrel with my borescope and it had a good chambering job for a factory gun.

Hi Guys,
I have a 204 Ruger as in Ausie we are no longer able semi autos. Shoots like a trojan with remington and winchester factory ammo. Question is could some of you guys tell me some loads in projectiles and powders as I have all the gear to load as I shoot target long range 308 at the Port lincoln rifle club South Ausie. The 204 for foxes outstanding and just quietly it doesn't do a bad job on roos out to 300yds. I am new to your site and you can take it from me it is not to shabby. I look forward in chatting with you guys.
Cheers Michael

Don't even think about it twice Dtech is the man when it comes to AR's you won't find a better deal for all you get in a custom AR and Mike Milli at Dtech is first rate and he gives you a lifetime warranty on his rifles.

Sagrratter: Welcome to the board. (You too trapdoor.)

What part of sage rat heaven are you from? Man would I love to do some 'rats in with an .204 AR! Good luck with your project and let us know how it comes out. tt

First , welcome guys...

I have a .204 from Dtech and it is all they say....top quality work , warrenty , shoots very well . I have the comp so don't know how it would shoot with out one. My barrel is 23 inches and then the comp so it has no tendacy to jump.I haven't had a critter in the scope yet but have it shooting 35 bergers well so I am ready for a chuck , soon and hope to call in a yote this fall. Getting a cheap priced , high quality , well made rifle aren't going to happen so get the gun you want and pay the price .....the gun will pay back all the extra you spent. SM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
march07194.jpg

Welcome to the boards guys!

I have a .223 Dtech and a second upper in .17 Remington. They are all everyone says they are and more. You will not go wrong with Dtech. Mike is very helpful and will do a fine job for you. My next addition with be a .204 Dtech upper.

Hey guys keep the info coming I really appreciate it!!!

I'm in Oregon the Land of Sage Rats and too many Liberals!! one is wayyy tooo many /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
Well considering I did not know about dtech at the time I purchased the dpms in 204. It will shoot half inch groups all day with 32 grain blitzkings. I have shot 1/4inch 3 shot groups with it on a good day. I shot a 10 shot group the other day that I would post but I dont know how. That was one ragged hole that you could cover with a dime. The only thing bad is the trigger. I have only heard good things about dtech. The good thing is I paid alot less for my dpms 799.00 on sale here in Ohio. You will be happy with either one.

SAGERATTER
My Ar in 204 is a Rock River EOP- with DPMS 26" SS fluted barrel, lower has a Timney trigger.
Seeing impact with this rifle will be best done with lighter than max loads. If trying to push the upper 3k's, it'll push back and bounce. Of course seeing impact can be also related to magnification of scope and distance to target as well as other things.
I'm currently working with the 35 berger and the 34 DT from Midway. They shoot relativly close with some loads. For instance 21.8 IMR 4198 5 shot 34 DT at .730 and same load with 35 berger 1.123 with one pulled by yours truly with the other four at .753. All nine of the closer shots would have been inside 1.100 inch if shot at the same target. Just opposite sides of the target!!
Best 3 shot group to date is .403 with 28.4 Blc2 & 35 Berger. D T did 1.061 with the 28.4 Blc2. Again all six would have been inside 1.100" if on the same target. Haven't backed that load up with a five shotter for confirmation yet..
All loads are using new Winchester brass trimmed to specks, neck turned minimally to cleaned it up,(actually I misplaced my chamfering tool so I used the neck turner to take off the trimming burr outside plus a little in spots) flash holes uniformed and cases weighed to be within 1.2 grains spread. Primers are CCI 450's.. O A L is around 2.270 or longest to fit in magazine..
I'm sure a DTech is a fine rifle and could be made to out shoot my lowly $750.00 AR RRA, but my extra $ go to Berger and Sierria and Hornady, and Nosler ETC ETC.. Almost forgot IMR Hodgen and so on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
I also shoot Mini 14's , Ruger M77,s and Remingtons as well, so I'm not in to first class rifles, Just accurate ones, or ones I just happen to like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Later
DF2

Last edited:
Back