58g. .243 through a 1-10 twist.

MPFD

I'm having trouble getting any 55-58 grain bullets to form small groups. I know that a 1-12 twist would be ideal, but what can I possible do to make them shoot better through my gun with a 1-10, I am going to try down loading a little bit. Any suggestions on how low to drop my powder. I am currently running a 58 g. Vmax with 44 grains of IMR 4064. I was thinking of going to 40 grains of Varget. But I would love some other opinions.

Thanks, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I've heard some guys say that they couldn't get the light bullets to shoot very well either but I've also heard the other side too. You could just try a different weight bullet. I've been working on a load for my .243 with 75 gr v-max and have done fairly well.

I also shoot 75 g vmax. They are very accurate, But the 58g are way easier on pelts in my experience. That's why I wanna try to make em work. 75 grain vmax with 40 grains Varget will produce one hole groups in my .243

Last edited:
The 58 grain work well in my Rem. 788, but I don't know what the twist is. They worked real well in the NEF too (agian, I don't recall the twist rate).

Different seating depths and different powders, Yes. I generally try to seat it to the specific gun. That has givin the best results, maybe I'm wrong in that approach. I'm trying to get an opinion on a down graded charge. I personally believe the the twist does make a difference, from lessons learned when loading for my brothers and my own .223's. The differing twist's there were 1-9 in his and 1-12 in mine, but they were both the same brand and model. They will not shoot the same batch of bullets consistantly. When I found out that in the last year the company changed their twist rates I went to a heavier bullet for his gun, problem solved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

If you have a magic bullet in a 55 grain, for a 1-10 twist please share your specs. That is the kind of help I was looking for, thanks

Last edited:
Twist doesn't have anything to do with bullet weight. The twist needed to stabilize a bullet is direct relation to the length of the bullet. Try to find a bullet that is longer in the lighter weights and they may stabilize in your 10" twist.

You'll probably ignore this, but I'll post it anyway... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Try 39.8 grains of IMR 3031, and seat the bullet DEEP into the case... for an OAL of 2.595", case head to tip of bullet.

Then let us know how things go.

Dan

So the weight of a bullet and the RPM it's spinning coming out of the muzzle has nothing to do with it's ability to stabilize? Well then does anybody know who makes the longest light weight bullets? From my comparisons between nosler 55's and Hornady 58's, the Hornady has a longer distance between the base and the ogive. Whould it be better to shoot a non boat-tail to have more surface area?

Thanks for the spec's Dan I will give it some consideration.

Last edited:
Quote:
So the weight of a bullet and the RPM it's spinning coming out of the muzzle has nothing to do with it's ability to stabilize? Well then does anybody know who makes the longest light weight bullets? From my comparisons between nosler 55's and Hornady 58's, the Hornady has a longer distance between the base and the ogive. Whould it be better to shoot a non boat-tail to have more surface area?

Thanks for the spec's Dan I will give it some consideration.

I had the same issue with my .243 and the Hornady 58grn Vmax. Best i could get was 1.5-2.00 inches at 100. I'm thinking a custom barrel on this dedicated P-dog gun. So I'm very interested in this thread. Thanks for posting it.

I had similar problems with light bullets in my Savage .243. The Nosler 70 grain BT's shoot just fine, but the lightest weight VMax that showed any promise was the 87 grain. I had identical experiences with another .243 and a 6mm Rem. I suspect a 1 in 12 twist might be a better choice if you want to use that light of a bullet.

But, since I have a .220 Swift, I figure I don't need to shoot light bullets in the .243, that it's better to use the bullets which give me better long range knock down power in that caliber.

Quote:
From my comparisons between nosler 55's and Hornady 58's, the Hornady has a longer distance between the base and the ogive. Whould it be better to shoot a non boat-tail to have more surface area?

It is the overall length of the bullet NOT the bearing surface that touchs the lands!

Back