New Henry in the stable - any others out there using tang sights?

SDVmnt

I've been eyeballing this thing for a while now and finally broke down. Picked up a Henry 22 Lever with the Octagon barrel tonight. Immediately took it out to shoot a few rounds of course. VERY fun to shoot and accurate as can be with the iron sights. Fully realized that I'm going blind and should look at getting a tang site or similar for it though. Don't think I want to put a scope on this one. Any of you have this setup and some suggestions for me?

Thanks!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Edit - My bad, I said it was a marlin, but meant a henry. Don't think Marlin makes an octagon barrel version. WISH it was a marlin but they're almost twice the money.

Last edited:
I have a Marlin .44mag and a Browning .22L/A both with buckhorn rear sights and I've been thinking about replacing the rear sights with ghost rings.

I don't want scopes on either one of them either. It's a lot more fun to take them out with the iron sights, especially in brushy areas.

I've been toying with getting a Lyman tang sight for my 39A. I, like you, have passed into the the age of needing reading glasses, and my front sights are real fuzzy for some reason! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Like OldTurtle, I like using the little 39 with open sights, it's just so dang fun to shoot.

Tim

Quality tang sights are pretty costly. Tang sights are good, however, they are a little more cumbersome and finicky to deal with. I don't like them because they mess up the way I hold my thumb on the wrist of the stock. Good aperture (peep) sights are not expensive and are accurate, lightweight, rugged, retain the natural balance of a sweet handling carbine or rifle. I've got several aperture sighted rifles and love them. The XS Sight Systems Ghost Ring is top quality, compact, and all steel. The Williams FoolProof is another decent sight for the money.

Howdy, I have a Marbles tang sight on my Marlin 45-70 cowboy action rifle.

What GC said on grip plus I have to remove the sight stem from the sight base to remove the bolt for cleaning from the breech. Probably only applicable to long bolts like 45-70.

All that said you can't discount STYLE POINTS, IMHO.

Back