AR15 1x8 twist

69beers

I'm in the market for an AR15 and understand the 1x8 is more for heavier rounds. How well does it shoot 55 grains? The reason I ask is that the gun I'm leaning towards has the 1x8 and factory ammo is readily available in 55 gr vmax.

I will eventually handload, but the over-the-counter ammo is pretty convenient. Thanks.

ok, here is a 3 shot group out of my RRA 1/8 24" varminter with the cheapest reman 55 gr sp's I can find, I'd say it does ok, ya think? the 69 smk's are a tad better
RRA1-8223wylde.jpg

RR

I own a couple of 1X8 barreled AR's and they shoot 52 and 53 gr. match bullets real well and up to 70 gr. even better.
It is hard to over stabilize a bullet, but real easy to under stabilize one.

Quote:
You can't "overstabilize" a bullet.

Well I guess you can't "overstabilize" but 1/8" with like 40's can make them tumble to cause keyholing or break apart.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but if you go too light in a too fast of a twist it = trouble for the bullet and accuracy.

But to answer your question yes 1/8" will be just fine for 55's.

The gun that I have that shoots 55's the best though is 1/12".

Here's the first 8 shots through my DTech fluted 20" 1:8 twist to sight in scope after mounting. I was shooting Hornady 55gr V-Max. 4th shot I pulled...Last group of three is at the top right, 1/2" high which is where I wanted it. I don't know what you'll be shoot'n but that last group would shoot the eye out of a squirrel at 100 yds. Good'nuff for me and the girls I go with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
LD

IMG_0006.jpg

Quote:
if you go too light in a too fast of a twist it = trouble for the bullet and accuracy.

You can spin a very light-jacketed bullet so fast it disintegrates from centrifugal force, but I don't think you'll get that kind of velocity out of a .223. I believe TNT's were experiencing this in 22-250's and some wildcat cartridges at around 4000+ fps. Up until they disintegrated, though, they were quite stable and accurate.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks guys. As always, a wealth of information.

I'm looking at getting a RRA Predator Pursuit, and with it I'll be, well, pursuing predators.

After spending a couple days turkey hunting at Land Between the Lakes I've been inspired to get a new coyote rifle and help balance nature!

My brother, best friend and I just ordered the predator pursuit from Dan Carey. He is awesome to deal with and you really can't beat his prices. Contact him and get him to flute the barrel!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I don't know if this is your 1st AR but if it is it won't be your last. This one will be my #4, can't get enough of them, never can have to many! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

In order to prove a point and help sell my neighbor on a RRA 1-8" 24" varmint, I loaded some 40 grain v-maxes with 26 gr. of BL-C(2) and CCI 450 primers. He had concerns about it stabilizing the bullets. He had already seen one hole groups in 50 and 55 gr. v-max loads from the same gun. He kept talking about a 1-12" to be able to shoot the 40's. I gave him 5 rounds with the above load and my rifle and told him to basically shut up and shoot. He returned with the rifle about 30 minutes later with a blank expression. I asked him, what do you think. He said he was going home to order a copy of my rifle that morning,then he began to grin from ear to ear. He shot about a 3/4" group at 100 yds. with my rifle never having shot it before. The funny part was, that was the first load I had tried with the 40 gr. V-max. I still think the heavier bullets rule at longer distances, but out to about 200 yds, I think they will work fine.

If you plan to shoot only 50 to 60gr. bullets what would be the best rate of twist. I was thinking a 1/10 for that bullet weight range.

Quote:
If you plan to shoot only 50 to 60gr. bullets what would be the best rate of twist. I was thinking a 1/10 for that bullet weight range.

1:10 would be fine, you could even go 1:12 for those bullet weights.

I got the 1:8 twist on my AR because it's so darn versatile. I've shot 40-77gr bullets well under MOA in my rifle, but it's a DTech so that's not very impressive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 in 8 is the only twist to have in a AR in my experience. I have several and they will all shoot well with 40 gr bullets and up. Don't fall in that fast twist heavy bullet only thing!

Back