What caliber for BOBCATS??

Wa_Coyote_Hunter

I am trying to decide on a caliber !! and bullet for bobcats that will put them down. And have no exit or a small exit hole.
What do you guys prefer???
I am getting one of the new Savages in 22-250. Would the 40 grain white box everyone talks about on here work? for cat?
I am getting the 22-250 for coyotes, but would like to use it for cats. But i don't want to over damage the fur.
So would it be better to get a different rifle for cat hunting?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
And will it work on cougar?? Because they are also in the same area!!

Last edited:
I have shot Bobcats with most popular 22 centerfires, and a 221 loaded to moderate speeds with a 50 grain SP will reward good center mass shooting with a small exit every time.

223 Remington with Blue Dot loads keeps the veloctity and carnage down on cats and fox as well.

Fast ballistic tips can work fantastic or pound some big holes...........very inconsistant on cats.

I have no 204 experience to offer up, but a Fireball is tailor made for cats.

I had a friend who killed alot of bobcats and his two favorites were .22 magnum & .22 hornet. If I had to use my .22-250 the 55 grain pointed soft point would be my first try. Then maybe try a 40 gr vmax. First you got to find the cat.

Quote:
35 gr berger in the 204.

+1 in my limited experience on cats. But, hey, IS there anything besdes a .204 with 35 gr Bergers? (I might be a little biased!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cats are thin skinned and not hard to kill, stupid too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Learn how to sew, then shot em with anything you want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:
Heck others may disagree but if you get the cat into 100 yards or less you could take it with a .17HMR and be alright cjg_beef from this site has shot a yote before with his and killed it, if I am not mistaken.

yeah, I think that the .17 HMR would fit the bill. It should be very fur friendly and head shots out to 100 yds wouldn't be a problem. Plus it has no recoil. it's a little light for coyotes but I did kill a coyote with mine at 175 yds this year. Only walked about 10 yds and fell over dead. Didn't even twitch.

well i got a 22 magnum so maybe i will give it a try. But I think maybe the 204. just because there is couger around.

Thanks for the info guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

It'll work, but .22 centerfire is the minimum for cougar here. Not that a .204 won't work, my choice for cougar is .22-250.

just got one of the 17 fireballs cant wait to use it should work wonders but i have used to 204 and they work perfect on bobcats nocks the snot out of them.

I have had excellent results with both the .243 using 58 grain Hornady v-max factory loads (most did not exit) and the 55 grain Sierra game king(Fed. vital shok factory loads) out of my D-tech (either no exit or small exit hole)

tripod3

ya i know a 22 centerfire is minumum, for cougar!

I have not seen anything on a minumum for Bobcats! Do you know or can we use a 22 magnum???? Ya the big trick is to find a place here in washington where there is any bobcats.
A guy i work with his friend lives up by the canadian border and he has shot some off road kill this year. So I will have to find out for sure the area.

Yellowhammer

I always thought any round from the 243 would do major damage! I will try those rounds you suggest with my 243 on coyote this winter. Thanks for the info!!

This next season will be my first season trying to save the pelts. So that is why I am asking all the questions.

That is what i love about this forum. Always people on here willing to give advice, and send us newby's down the right track!! Thanks everyone!!

Last edited:
The 243 will do what you need especially if you’re doing your own loading. That being said it’s always fun to buy a new rifle. The only bobcat I shot with one had an exit hole the size of a half-dollar. That was with a 100-gr bullet. I was expecting coyotes and got a surprise. I have some 60 bullets I will load up for next season. The exit hole sowed up fine and the cat made a nice rug but if I were selling the fur it would have lost value.

Cats are hard to kill because of their small vital area, so accuracy is much more important than knock down. If you miss the front shoulder or head of a cat it will run off everytime.

22 Mag will do the job but it exits and runners are common
unless placement is perfect.
223 and 22-250 work very good even on smaller framed females
if you accept a small exit. I use handloads with Sierra 55gr
Game King soft points #1365. They always work good for me.
My favorite has been my 6x47 with 58gr V-Max. I have nailed
10 to 20 with it so far with no exits and no splashes.
I'm knocking on wood right now.....don't want to jinx it.
17 and 204 maybe prfect but I dont have one.
17HMR is best left to smaller animals.
Will it kill one.....yes.
Is it reliable on 20+lbs animals......no.
Do you really want to shoot predators to see them
run off injured ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Not me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Don't want to start a flame just my .02

P.S. The white box worked good in 223 but in 22-250 it
spashed with large surface wounds on several occasions.
547812_16_full.jpg

Last edited:
Back