Does anyone know the H&K Model 770 Semi-auto?

rainshadow1

Custom Call Maker
I just got one in 308 from a benevolent Uncle. Deciding whether to keep it, or use it to get myself into other guns I'm hoping to end up with.

It's the Pre(?)muzzle brake/flash hider model. Quick release scope mount. Iron sights installed too.

Anyone had one, played with one, or know about them? Does it shoot? Reliable? High or low maintenance? etc?

Thanks!

Is it the H-K 770? If so, I've had one as my main hunting rifle for 20 years. Look like this?

HK-770

Quote:
Does it shoot? Reliable? High or low maintenance?

Mine shoots about 1.5 MOA with factory loads, totally reliable, no maintenance. If you don't mind the funky position of the safety and the fact that the bolt doesn't stay open on the last round, it makes a great hunting rifle. If you decide to sell it, do some research, because I've seen those magazines go for over $100 and I'd bet the rifle would fetch $1000+.

That's the one. I meant to say 770.

They're $1500 to $2000 on GunsAmerica. The more I clean and polish on it the more I like it! I'm itching for a couple other calibers, and I like bolts and singleshots, but this is a really cool weapon. Still on the fence.

Thanks for the input, Lurker.

More input is welcomed.

Good lead, yotecallr. Thanks! had to hunt a little but got a good quote off the Crit-r-call website on it...

"Lots of calibers work, from .222 to 7 mm mag. After shooting nearly everything at coyotes, I recommend and use a Heckler and Koch, semi-automatic M-770 Sporter Type in .308 with a 10-shot clip. I have a sling on it. The gun is fabulous with small recoil and a muzzle-brake that keeps the barrel from jumping with the recoil. Accuracy is superb; consistency is excellent. I load the clips with 8 rounds to insure proper feeding. Maintenance is simple: check all of the screws, scope mount tightness, no obstructions in the barrel and it is ready to go. H&K M-770's cost between $850 and $1500 from dealers out of Shotgun News and the Gun List magazines. They haven't been imported since 1986 so are getting hard to find. Browning BAR's are great too." - - Major Boddiker

Mine doesn't have the muzzle brake, and I am waiting for my Uncle to produce a promised 10 round clip (it has a 3 round that fits flush) but I'm starting to grow fond of this thing!

Quote:
and I am waiting for my Uncle to produce a promised 10 round clip

I think you'll find it's a 9 round clip, it's stamped right on the follower of mine. Ready for this? I bought mine brand new in 1984 for $440 with one clip. That was from an FFL dealer I knew and included a 10% markup. The scope mount was $125. Now it's $1500? Heh..heh.
Do you have the original owners manual for it? If you can't find it on-line I have one I could scan and E-mail you.
The bolt assembles with a left-hand rotation, it took me about 15 minutes to figure that one out the first time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
Don't let anyone stand to your right when you fire that puppy, the brass is moving at the speed of heat when it ejects and goes a good 30 feet. I love the violence of that action. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Actually $440 1984 dollars were worth more than $1500 today.
Good buy if you have enjoyed it, but certainly not a great investment.

Jack

True, Jack. But, for instance, my 300 win mag Weatherby Vanguard and Leupy scope cost $800 bucks that took most of my 13th year to earn. That was 22+ years ago. Probably not worth more than that now... But I sure wouldn't have wanted to be without it for those years! To have the tried and true hunting partner AND to have it triple in value... that'd be a happy thing!

I would be selling it. I don't know about that excellent accuracy statement. It all depends on what one would consider excellent accuracy.

Quote:
I would be selling it.

If I was in NW Washington and intended to do any elk or deer hunting, I would be keeping it. That's about the best rifle you can have in that type of brushy, wet conditions. If I was looking for a dedicated predator or target rifle, there are better choices available. You won't be killing many Roosevelt elk with a .223 or 22-250, however, and that H-K will stack em up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have a LOT of confidence in mine, it ain't going out the door for any price, because there's still not a semi-auto hunting rifle sold that does a better job in the conditions I hunt in. People that hunt the rainforest in Washington and Oregon will know what I mean.

I still dunno.

It's a very unique and obviously very high quality gun. On that hand, I'd like to keep it. But on the other, it's a semi- which I don't love in hunting situations because it tends to make me less careful about my shots. (I love to shoot semi-autos, but prefer not to hunt with them because they make ME less careful about shot placement.) And it's a 308, which I don't really need between my 7-30 Waters and 300 Win Mag.

I'm sure it's a super quality gun, I mean I can tell, it's plain to see. And for a big game caliber semi-auto it's probably very accurate.

I'll sit on it for a time, but I still dunno.

Got the big mag today, so now I have the 3 and the 9. Would be fun to hang on to it, but I'd like to sell it and get two bolt guns too! Still dunno. Gonna shoot it soon here!

If you already have a .300 Win. Mag. that's a shooter, I don't see why you want a .308 either. If you've got the opportunity to make $1500 off a free rifle, that would be tempting, no matter how it shoots. Post the groups you shoot with it, I'd be interested to see that.

you can buy new bolt actions and single shots everyday. You someday will wish you held onto it if you part with it. I know from experience. 2 yrs ago I sold a jc higgins bolt action 16gauge that my cousin gave me for my 16 bday present. I kick myself everytime I think about it. Sure is what not worth much but it was a gift and not many people go around giving you guns.

good luck with what you choose. I say you owe it to him and yourself to kill atleast one animal with it before you part.

Yeah, that's true je4. It's really a neat gun.

I'll post a pic after I shoot it. EL. Hopefully Friday. (I'm gonna keep the 338 Win Mag Ruger M77 he gave me. Might sell the 1959 Win Model 12 shotgun. Might sell the 38 LadySmith which was my late aunt's, my wife doesn't want it. Probably keep the derringer for a pocket gun. And my cousin wants the Officer's Model Colt Mark IV back, he gave it to my Uncle years ago and said he wanted to inherit it, so I'll get that back to him!)

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

Back