Who Makes A Bolt Action .220 Swift

One bit of cautionary information concerning a magazine fed .220 Swift in a short actioned rifle. The only magazine fed Swift I have seen was a Ruger a friend owned. It was very accurate, but the magazine box was too short for him to put more than one cartridge in it, when the bullets were seated out for enough to deliver the best accuracy with the 55 grain Nosler Bt's he was using. It's been long enough ago that I can't recall if it was possible to lengthen the magazine box, as I had to do with my Ruger .22-250. But I don't believe it could be done, at least not as easily as I did with my .22-250. With my .22-250 Ruger I just removed the baffle and installed a plastic one further back in the magazine box to permit loading and feeding of the slightly longer cartridges (about 1/10" longer, if I remember correctly).

You must have bought your rifle awhile ago cause there is no plug in the newer ruger m77's.(at least mine there isn't)
I have had no trouble with the length of my bullets and have found that the o/a is best (in my outfit)at or perhaps slightly less than listed o/a in my manuals.Never any feed issues in my rifle....The only rifle that I ever had issues with was Browning A-Bolts.Seems as though they have a standard size that they make work for everything...
You will love the swift it is a great cal..best wishes

Quote:
You must have bought your rifle awhile ago cause there is no plug in the newer ruger m77's.(at least mine there isn't)
I have had no trouble with the length of my bullets and have found that the o/a is best (in my outfit)at or perhaps slightly less than listed o/a in my manuals.Never any feed issues in my rifle....The only rifle that I ever had issues with was Browning A-Bolts.Seems as though they have a standard size that they make work for everything...
You will love the swift it is a great cal..best wishes

My Ruger .22-250 was the matte stainless, laminated stock, target version, probably purchased about 10+ years ago, within a year or two of when they first came on the market. It had a sheet steel block spot welded at the back side of the magazine, which I driled out and replaced with a piece of plastic moved further to the rear to provide more room in the magazine for longer shells.

My friend's Swift was the blued steel Mark I? version, with the tang safety. It had a slightly angled piece of sheet steel at the back of magazine box, which appeared to be intended to force the rim of the upper cartridge forward of the shell immediately below it. It could have been removed, but then you might have had to deal with the problem of the rim of the top round having to ride over the rim of the round below it. Perhaps causing feeding problems. So, we never attempted the modification.

His Swift required the bullets seated out beyond that which would go into the magazine to deliver the best accuracy. If I remember correctly, there was about 1/4" difference at 100 yard grouping between the accuracy of the two loads, based on seating depth.

Ruger makes the mkII target in 220 swift i have one of the earlier models with the blued action and a stainless barrel. it shoots amazing and loves the 52gr berger bullets. and even the 36gr varmint grenades...

Back