Reloader-25 temp. changes

ACE-MAN

I'm reloading in a cool damp area and will be traveling to a warm dry area. Has anyone had issues with reloader-25 due to temperature changes? Will I flatten primers with a 40 degree temp. change?

I use Rel 25 in my 264 Win Mag and have never had any trouble with it when shooting in hot weather or cold using the same load. With any powder no matter if it is the extreme or standard, if you work up to a max load in really cold weather then you should use caution when using the same load in really hot weather. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bea175,
I'm working up a load in my 22-243. Reloader 25 is new to me. I shoot allot of Varget and have never had issues. I'm familiar with the basic concept of pressure increases due to warmer temps. My question is, is reloader 25 especially sensitive to these conditions. H414 is a very sensitive Powder. It's my hope reloader 25 is at the other end of the spectrum.

I have worked up some pretty hot loads for my Remington 8MM Mag with RL 25 and shot them in 40 degree weather to test the loads then again at over 80 degrees with no problem. These were with 220 Gr Sierra's. They went through the screens at 3006 fps from a 24" barrel. If anything was going to show a problem these should have been the loads. Not a problem. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks Jay. What you stated is exactly what I wanted to hear. This is my first time ever loading RL-25. I'm very impressed initially. I have a four shot group at 200 yards that that you can completely cover with a dime. This group is with less then 50 bullets out the barrel. I'm pushing 80 grain VLD's. The 22-243 Winchester is stacking up to be everything I heard and more.

Sounds pretty awsome. If your going for PD you could get a lot more than 40 degree temp change. One day before Memorial Day we had an over 95 degree day to shoot but we didn't have problems. Later could be over a hundred in some places pretty easy.

But I really like the RL powders. RL 15 works great in my .220 Swift.

I like Varget because it's so stable whatever the temp. I tried Varget in the 22-243 with great accuracy. Problem was, Varget is to fast of a powder and I could not get any kind of decent velocity. I Microloned the barrel today and hope this will extend the life of the barrel.

Last edited:
Back