Sage Rats, and Bend, Oregon????

Chris Crawford

I will be spending the week of May 7th to the 11th in Bend, and I was wondering if there is any rat shooting near by? (50 miles or so)Also are there any 4 wheeler trails around the area? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Thank You
Chris Crawford

I live in Bend... personally I have never seen a sage rat, then again, I only just started hunting and have never looked for them.

I hear they are everywhere East of town. Just head out Highway 20 East, the terrain out there is rolling hills full of sage brush and grasses... thats where I hunt rabbits. Also, there are a ton of OHV trails out that same way, Highway 20 East about 22 miles out of town is the Millican trail complex, hundreds of miles of trails.

Most of the rat shooting in the C.O. area is on private agricultural land. There are a few in the area imprezagm4 mentioned but not many (I've shot em all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. If I were you I would head down to Fort Rock (~65 miles S.E. of Bend). If you time it right and can get on a circle field before the crops get too tall you’ll have not shortage of targets.

John

Please forgive the slightest tiny little hi-jack here.

imprezagm4,

I was in Bend OR about 25 years ago, and was struck at the time at what a beautiful town it was. I remember a georgeous river(s), or runoff canals going right thru town.

So the question I have been wondering for the past 25 years, is Bend really that beautiful, or did I just get caught up with a change of scenery while on vacation?

Hi-jack over, and please forgive me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Quote:
If I were you I would head down to Fort Rock (~65 miles S.E. of Bend). If you time it right and can get on a circle field before the crops get too tall you’ll have not shortage of targets.

That's good advice. The area between Fort Rock and Christmas Valley is crawling with rats and you'll have non-stop shooting until the alfalfa crop gets so high you can't see them. I'd say from past experience, it would be good right now (middle of April). It's been a cold spring, though, maybe you can stretch that out a little this year.

I dont know about sage rats in Bend, those are the little guys, but I know for a fact Bend has some big ol fat rock chucks. They failed to tell ya that!!! Uh huh, trying to save them all for themselves.

There everywhere down there. Even out in right field, no seriously!! When I was in HS and played baseball, we went to bend and Mt view and we had them rock chucks running all over the outfield. I couldn't take it, I was going nuts!! They were as big as house cats. Oh yah, I was envisioning the 25-06 w/85g NBT's at 3600fps, ha ha.

I"m pretty sure all the good chuck shooting is on private land though. So good luck trying to get on it unless you know someone...As with anywhere.

All the good rockchuck shooting IS IN Bend. Doubt you'll be received warmly on the HS campus this week with your "sniper" rifle. Sure does get the trigger finger itchy though doesn't it!

Back