Predator hunting.....this is a hoot!

Can you say RABBIT is whats for dinner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

As a wildlife biologist myself, I cannot believe that any competent wildlife biologist would not have considered the immediate and cumulative effects of predation on this endangered pygmy rabbit. If this is indeed a multi-million $$$ project, then someone needs their @#$ canned. I read an opinion paper the other day that my profession is being overrun with bunny huggers and eco-freaks, and I suspect that one of them was in charge of this project. They probably thought the bunnies "would live in harmony with nature." Makes me want to barf.

If they were eaten then couldn't they track them from the gps collars they were wearing? At the very least they should be able to find some scat.

It is nice to see that multimillion "dumb*ss-projects" is going on in other countries than sweden.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

This is very close to home and is at times comical. However it is a very nice area that I have grown up both working and hunting. I have worked for companies that have run cattle grazing it into the dirt, even trying to hide the cattle in draws for days to pass a check. Since they have stopped grazing this area has rebounded to a pristine hunting area. I have posted photos here with plenty of Wow's. What ties the rabbits to a multi million dollar deal is the purchase of so many thousands of acres of land on both sides of the Columbia river as game habitat. It appears that they have some aware & responsible cattleman lined up for limited grazing but there are some lawsuits lined up from Idaho to stop it. There is another local area with nearly the same story that was donated by a retired cattleman to sportsman many years ago. Although it to has rebounded the game dept has fiddled with millions foolishly like tilling to plant grass that raised some huge weeds for many years. These are popular calling areas for many members here on the board from both sides of the state. I expect this story to grow for many years but hope we all get to hunt it for that time. http://www.westernwatersheds.org/news_media/newsmedia_2007/wwpnr_3_26_07.shtml

Those little rabbits are neat. I think I saw one once in WY. I am pretty sure that I did see one when sage grouse hunting.

Tripod,

I gues if the project actually yeilded good huntign lands for you and other sportsman, it not such a waste. The rabbits sound to be a side investment on the over all plan. I am hoping to go back out and see if I kind that area where I saw the rabbit once.

Quote:
If they were eaten then couldn't they track them from the gps collars they were wearing? At the very least they should be able to find some scat.

Scat, with a collar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif If there was more than one collar, would it be a covey of scat ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

well i'm not against them doing this rabbit project. But you guys got to know this is a Democrat state. So the game department is dumber then @!$#. All the other rabbit species have almost dissapeared. So I don't know how they thought these little guys were going to come from captivity with no danger and be tossed out to the dogs and think they would servive. The reson most of the small game has dissapeared is because of the coyotes. and that is happening everywhere.
So you guys back east wanting your populaions to pick up. Say goodbye to your small game.

It didnt say exactly how many millions were spent, it mentioned multi million dollar project, so lets say the project was 2 million dollars, each rabbit is worth 100,000
each, i would have to say the the coyotes are eating expensive meals! seems like kind of a big waste of moola to me.

I know it makes me feel MUCH better knowing my hard earned tax dollars are going to fund 'well thought-out' projects like this ! Have I ever told you how much I dislike "Libs".

Back