Winchester SX3 vs SX2

M70

I was in my local Gander Mountain last night looking at new shotguns. They had three SX2s and one SX3. Does anyone know the difference in these guns? The SX2 had stamped on them, "FN" so I guess they are made my FN in Belgium. I couldn't see anything on the SX3.

Also, I have heard that the Browning Gold is the same as the SX2, can someone confirm this. How about the Gold Fusion, what is this now?

Thanks guys,

M70

I am not real familiar on them so I can't personally help you but will at least make a suggestion. Try looking up the winchester site and see if it explains the differences on there.

The SX2/SX3 is a re-design of the origional Winchester SX-Model 1 shot gun. FN/Browning aquired the rights to the shotgun after aquision of the U. S. Repaating Arms company. John Rosiaou(sp) re-designed the shotgun for
Browning Arms company to make it cheaper to manufacture.

Browning introduced it as the Browning Gold and then the Winchester Super X-2 2 years later. Browning desperatly needed a gas operated shotgun that would work and obtaining patent rights enabled them to market a gas operated shotgun
that would last in the market place more than 2 years.

The origional Winchester super-X model 1 was the "best"
gas operated shotgun ever built in the USA. It was over engineered and expensive to build, would cost about $2,000
in todays market. John Saterwhite shot SX-1 before Benelli
picked him up because it had the fastest load and eject time of any shotgun available and still does.

The basic difference between the SX2 /SX3 is "weight" plus a few gas system changes.

The Browning Gold version has a faster cycle time than the Winchester... but at the speeds of these guns, it's a moot point.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Both the Gold and the SX2 are very close in price. The new SX3 is about $50.00 more. I like the wieght of the SX3 but I can not find it in anything other than black. I am an avid Dove hunter, currently using a Browning A-5, but wanted to move in to something a bit newer. The SX2 caught my eye but there seems to be concern about this gun cycling light loads. I generally shoot 1 1/8 ounce loads, not extremely light but on the ligher side. Does anyone have real experience shooting these loads form these guns? Jaming is not something I can tolerate.

M70

I've had a Super X2 since 2000 and have fired thousands of rounds through it. I used it shooting skeet until I bought my Citori. I have never had a problem shooting 1 1/8 oz. loads through it. It has taken everything from doves to giant canadas to mini clays. It has handled the stoutest 3.5" turkey loads to the 1 1/8 oz. target loads. If you get one, you will not be disappointed.

Back