gopher whistles

I have an all clear whistle loaded on my foxpro. Kind of sounds like a short sharp whistle that you can make by blowing across the top of a 22 lr shell.

Thanks Guys. Lance I'm looking for a hand call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Donny ! welcome to the board. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I've had a lot of guys looking for them at the gunshows, but I can't find a supplier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I'm with you, more ammo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'd rather be shooting than whistling in the wind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
Are you gonna be at the calgary show this weekend?

I use one that is the whistle out of a dog toy... Had to punch a small hole and make a makeshift lanyard out of fishing mono..

It's loud and hands free..

Google Tenterfield Fox Whistle. They make Fox calling whistles in Australia. The site has a bit of whistle sounds that work very well on fox. BUT, you can easily make something similar and make all kinds of whistle type sounds with it including chuck whistles or sounds very much like Hayden's squirrel whistles. I've made a bunch out of tin can lids with various holes drilled in them and spent time on the sound possibility. All the way from squeaky like to shrill & loud. I use mine for calling young tree squirrels down for a SHOT!

i'll be there friday, i've been here for a while but my old name died so i'm using my name from other gunboards
will you have a table or just walking around...

Donny, I'll have a table. Stop by. I'll be in a ghillie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif so you may not be able to see me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I heard tell if you take a .243 brass and cut it off and insert into the south end of a PD ,If you give it a good huff, it makes an exellent call ........down side is the tail gets in your face.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I hope you found one. I used to use one when I was younger when a pellet gun and then .22 was my arsenal. When I was young I spent alot of time trying to get them out of there holes because sometimes I would spook them trying to get close enough for a gun that would only should 495 fps. Anyhow I picked one up at Peavy Mart and they seem to help on days when it windy and they are easier to spook. But know I mostly use 17hmr and keep my distance. I must ask though where is your favorite area to gopher hunt? I used to live in Regina, Saskatchewan but now live in Canmore, Alberta and it can be a bit of a drive to get out of the mountians to find some gophers.

Cheers

Redfrog, I have one that my father in law gave me, called a K.C. Gopher Call. It is hand held and comes from Lockhart Industries, Ltd 3308 67th St. Camrose Alberta T4V 3N8. I hope this helps. Hot Pursuit

Redfrog I have the above call it works like a charm, especially usefull at rimfire sorts of ranges. The science (from a U of Lethbridge site) is that gopher (richardson ground squirels) have two basic warning calls one for aerial predators (shorter and variable pitch) and one for ground predators (longer single pitch). Thier reaction is different for the two calls the short one they take cover (aerial attacks are fast) with the long call there tendency is to stand up and look for the threat. Which exposes them to be shot.

Typical routine with me is to :
find an area that has them
sit down
shoot the ones dumb enough to not hide
shoot the ones dumb enough to come out to see what all the shooting is about
start caling
shoot the ones dumb enough to come out to see where the trouble is.

Move to the next likly spot and repeat.

The furthest I have had them stand up is 200ish, weather they stood because of the call at that range it is hard to prove, but under 100 it is really obvious that it works.

It is so worth the 20$ don't leave home without it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I use a throat end of a .223 case to get sod poodles to stand up, just blow into the neck. A little practice helps to detrmine the angle to hold it on your lips.

Back