Study: Shotguns not safer for deer hunting

OMG this thread is like watching a train wreck,ya can`t turn away,ya have to watch teh carnage...

O O O wait someone PLEASE POST this over at AR15.com....
now that would be funnny to see what comes of that,I bet 12pages of carnage!!!!

As a resident of ohio we are only allowed to use shotgun slugs,muzzleloaders,and pistols chambered for straight walled cartridges.I think that we should have shotgun only counties and some where a rifle can be used. Ohio like most states I have seen,offers areas vastly different when it comes to types of terrain,and population density.But having said that I would prefer the county I live in (Darke co)to stay shotgun/muzzleloader/handgun only.It has far too few trees or hills to catch an errant shot.As for shotguns slugs traveling as far as stated in the study I guess these guys must be shooting them from helicopters to get them to go that far.I bet these are the same guys who tell us a .22lr travels a mile and a half.

Hunting Southeastern MN with rifles would be great but I don't want to die trying. There is a lot of deer and a lot of real smart monster bucks who stand in the middle of a bean or corn field. They are 1/2 mile out. I have seen people try to push the deer off the field but he knows he can go any direction and see your every move so he waits YOU out. The problem is for every safety conscience, intelligent hunter like most of us, they is probably 2 idiots who would take out a big magnum and start blasting away. I have seen it with shotguns. We have little woodlots, mostly flat open fields with farmhouses cattle and barns mixed in. It would be catastrophic if we in SE MN had rifles as an option. I think the stats aren't really as usefully as a whole because terrain type Woods, plowed fields, swamps, etc are all going to riccochet a projectile differently. Tests in a controlled environment and the real world don't coorelate as well as they say. Slugs kind of save us from ourselves.

I guess I question how many rifles (common calibers) have a trajectory as arched as a slug. Slugs run out of gas FAST!!

KH

Back