AR 15 Primer /Slamfire?

hm1996

Staff member
I plan to buy a several thousand primers for my AR and thought about maybe getting the #41 NATO primers as a bit of extra insurance against possible slam fires.

I often load the same round repeatedly when hunting and, of course, the floating firing pin pecks the primer every time the bolt slams shut. So far have had no problems, but this brings up a couple of questions:

Does anyone use CCI #41 NATO spec primers in your AR's?

Anyone had a slam fire with your AR?

Regards,
hm

I HIGHLY reccomend Remington #7 1/2 primers. It is a small rifle bench rest primer. It has the toughest primer cup of all the commercial small rifle primers ( equal cup strength to the nato) but far more conisitent (accurate) ignition. Plus I have loaded laods 1.5 grains over max in my rifle [never do that, you;ll blow your face off!] and never even had much of a crater, much less a puncture. The best part is that they are readily availible (not special order like the Nato) and just as cheap as any other ol' primer.

I've been using Winchester small rifle and have not had a slam fire yet.

You can always ease the bolt forward and use the forward assist.

Im sorry to go a bit off topic but are slam fires a frequent occurance in Ar's? Asking cause I just got my first AR and have neverheard issue of this.

I'm not saying a slam fire in the AR can't happen but i will say that is'nt very likely to happen. The Rem 7 1/2 is one of the best small rifle primer on the market. I have never tried the Nato #41 primer. The #41's are cheaper than the other brands and i may get around to trying them one day . Widener's Reloading in Johnson City, TN has a bunch of them in stock the last time i checked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Tresmon: I HIGHLY reccomend Remington #7 1/2 primers.

Quote:
bea175: I'm not saying a slam fire in the AR can't happen but i will say that isn't very likely to happen. The Rem 7 1/2 is one of the best small rifle primer on the market.

bea; Agree that it is highly unlikely, it is also unlikely in the Garand. I have probably put at least 30,000 rounds downrange thru a Garand and never had a slamfire myself, but I have witnessed one in a Garand and one in an M14. Both fired out of battery; not a pretty sight!

Haven't tried Rem. 7 1/2's in over 50 years. No particular reason, just not available locally. May have to give them a whirl.

Quote:
locobombero: Im sorry to go a bit off topic but are slam fires a frequent occurance in Ar's? Asking cause I just got my first AR and have neverheard issue of this.

Hey, Crazy fireman, not off topic a bit. I think I will add "slamfire" to title, may draw a few more replies to that question, as that was one of my questions. I am much more familiar with the Garand/M14 type gas guns; new to AR's. All three have floating firing pins which strike the primer when bolt slams home.

Mike @ Dtech pointed out that the bolt is extended until the carrier slams home, making firing pin too short to reach the primer until bolt is in battery. This can prevent firing out of battery, but I still do not want a slam fire, even if bolt is locked! Thus my query, as to whether anyone has experienced a slam fire with an AR/M16.

Quote:
xcrider: You can always ease the bolt forward and use the forward assist

Ya, but it's sure hard to teach an old dog new tricks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Regards,
hm

Never even heard a rumor of a slam fire with an AR.

And the very very rare reports of M1 M14 ones are not clear as to cause.

Bottom line is that unless you loose sleep about being struck by lightning, you shouldn't worry about slam fires. They are a lot less likely. You are probably more likely to get struck by a meteor.

Besides anytime you work the action it is pointed in a safe direction. So a slam fire is nothing but a wasted round even if it does do that one in a 100 million thing.

Jack

Quote:Jack Roberts: Never even heard a rumor of a slam fire with an AR.

And the very very rare reports of M1 M14 ones are not clear as to cause.

That's what I hoped to hear in reference to the AR.

I realize that slam fires are rare with any semi-auto, but not unheard of. As for slam fires in M1/M14, I have personally seen two; admittedly, have spent a great deal of time on ranges shooting competition w/M1 & M14/M1A. .

One such event involved a close friend who is a very experienced reloader and highpower competitor and reloader who wrecked his match grade M1 Garand using the same handloads he has used for years when the rifle slam fired out of battery. Bent his op-rod, blew extractor/ejector out of bolt and rounded the receiver locking lug recess about 1/8" showing the bolt lug had barely entered the recess and was not in battery at the time the slamfire occured. He received a cut on the forehead and had a little problem with his trigger control for a while afterwards. His trigger control suffered serious damage for a while, but fortunately, the rifle, and his shooting ability were not beyond repair.

Upon examination of the remaining lot of ammo, we found that the rounds did not have sufficient headspace (clearance) in his snug (match) chamber. He had loaded this batch of ammo using the same die setting as always and other lots measured OK. The problem stemmed from the fact that this particular lot of brass had been fired quite a few times and had work hardened and his dies had been set to give proper headspace with once fired brass. The harder brass springs back more than softer brass after sizing, thus the hardened brass were too large to chamber completely in his rifle.

I never heard what was determined to be the cause of the M14 slam fire and have never witnessed a slam fire with an AR/M16, but the AR's were not yet being used as extensively when I last shot competition.

Regards,
hm

I use a Primer Pocket uni-former on all my AR ammo. The primers are then set deeper,into the case head,and the firing pin dosen't hit the primer as hard when the bolt slams home. I use WSR primers and have never had a slam fire.
PrimmerSeating.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have carried an M4 at work for the past 9 years, M16A1 3 years before that and have had an AR personally for the past 14 years. I've been an NRA Select-fire instructor for the past 8 years and have NEVER seen a slam-fire to this date. I am sure it can happen, but I've never seen it and I have been around many, many AR type rifles many, many times. And yes, I've seen lots of cartridges with primer dents but no bang so far. I am still careful about loading in a safe direction and teach the same, it just has to happen once.

Back