Bolt vs Single?

BAMF

I am having troubles deciding which is better for a coyote gun action; bolt or single shot? I am interested in either the ruger no 1 varminter in 223, or a cz 527 american in 223. The only concern is what is the accuracy from the ruger? Which action is better, and since i don't know of many single shots does anybody know of other companies?

Based on weight alone, I'd get the CZ. If I'm not mistaken the Ruger Varmint model has at least a 24 inch heavy barrel. Not ideal for callin.

Most of the coyotes I get are killed on the first shot, so I wouldn't let a single shot bother me. The ones I miss a thousand shots wouldn't have helped............

CZ is a bit over 6 pounds, and has a good reputation for accuracy. Plus the trigger is a doule set style. The standard trigger is VERY adjustable and will make you forget about the set feature once you dial it in.

Only negative I can think of on the CZ is a backwards safety. I owned a CZ for a bit, and it was generally a good callin' gun.

Maybe some fellas can fill you in on the Ruger..........

I've never hunted there, but from what I've seen you have a lot of wide open country in Alberta. I'd think that would give you some long shots with opportunities for multiples. I'd get a repeater, and for me I'd get a heavy barrel (more stable/accurate for distance) but then I'm not weight sensitive and almost all my rifles are heavy barreled.

One of the nice things about a single is you get rid of the actions length so you can get a longer barrel and still keep the overall length down. I can get an added LOP on the stock a full 24” barrel and it’s still as short as some bolt action sporters. I’ve learned to load the second round about as quickly as a bolt gun with practice.

Thompson Center makes a nice single with the added bonus of being able to switch barrels and offers a wide variety of wildcats too.

IMGP0789.jpg

My Encore in .256 Win-Mag is sitting on the tailgate of the truck. With action open.

Picture018.jpg

Same rifle a year earlier closed up resting in my sticks.

Blaze

I have both. I have been shooting a Ruger #1B in 243 with a 26 inch bbl. for several years for coyotes and ground squirrels. With practice it's pretty fast for a second or third shot. This gun shoots one inch or under hundred yard five shot groups and I've done nothing to it but adjust the trigger.

I also have several bolt guns, both Remington and CZ. I have to say that the CZ Varmint in 204 Ruger is the most accurate gun I've owned since I got out of Bench Rest competition. It regularly shoots 1/2 inch groups off the bench. It's just a tad heavier than 8 pounds and is a joy to shoot.

Both the bolt actions and the Ruger #1 are excellent rifles and your choice will probably depend on how each feels when you put them to your shoulder. I'd have to say for the uses your talking about I'd probably go with the CZ 527. Think about the 204 it adds another hundred yards to your effective range with no more recoil than the 223.

Get'em both. Then you know you got the right one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I use both (not at the same time). My #1 in .22-250 is very accurate and for me, reloading time is not an issue with me for coyotes. If I miss the first shot, I might as well roll on the ground laughing because I won't get them on the second. Too much cover here and the disappear in 1/100th of a second. For a bolt gun, the Rem Model 7 in .223 is my favorite because it shoots good and is very light in weight. I hunt some very rugged mountains and weight conservation is a real issue for me (60). Each has its advantages and disadvantages, so, like I said, get'em both, you will eventually anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Get'em both. Then you know you got the right one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I use both (not at the same time). My #1 in .22-250 is very accurate and for me, reloading time is not an issue with me for coyotes. If I miss the first shot, I might as well roll on the ground laughing because I won't get them on the second. Too much cover here and the disappear in 1/100th of a second. For a bolt gun, the Rem Model 7 in .223 is my favorite because it shoots good and is very light in weight. I hunt some very rugged mountains and weight conservation is a real issue for me (60). Each has its advantages and disadvantages, so, like I said, get'em both, you will eventually anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I like your style, When in doubt, I will always go with option C: All of the Above! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The Ruger has a wt of over 9 LBS with scope at least that was what my 308 weighed As I recall it came in at 9.6 loaded with scope and bipod mounted. It was a very accurate rifle and flat dusted PD's (for real) it knocked yout over at long range real well also. The debate about Single Shots Vs Bolt action accuracy has been going on since Mauser first had an idea. Mechanicly the single shot should be more accurate at least logic would tell you that. but the fact is that there is no measurable differance in fact just about any modern rifle no matter what the action type is going to be intrinsicly more accurate than you are. So what it boils down to is what suits you better? your shooting style ect. The single shot as has been noted can have a longer barrel in the same length over all or even shorter than the bolt action. That can be an advantage, the single shot is usually a bit lighter, that also can be an advantage depending on the chambering of the rifle. I am not familiar with the CZ but I have heard a lot of good things about them. I have owned several Ruger Varment rifles in the Model 77 and No1 My first was a 22-250 the old model 77V I got a 77 V Mk2 a few years back in 308 while I did not find either of them to heavy for a calling rifle others may have differing opinions I also had a No 1 V in 223. I got rid orf both the .22 bores because they didn't have the long range capability I wanted, the 308 I lost due to a house fire and just have not replaced yet. I have since gotten more into the AR platform and have been doing that. 243 WSSM AR is the project I am doing now.

NEVER OWN A SINGLE SHOT FOR HUNTING.......WHY DO YOU THINK TC (the biggest single Manf) is going to a bolt this June. I dont care how good of a shot you are. Why not have some quick backup??? Plus I hate the look of a SIngle.

NEVER OWN A SINGLE SHOT FOR HUNTING...thats a pretty bold statement.
How many times have you needed a second shot??

Nothing wrong with a single shot I own a few. I also own bolt guns and an AR. For calling, shoot what you like the most...it only takes ONE shot.
Backup shots, if needed, aren't that hard to do, practice is all it takes. My buddy hunts with a VERY accurate H&R 243 and I normally carry the shotgun.
I've killed a TON of deer with my muzzleloader.
I think T/C is going to a bolt because they make a great product and they decided to expand. Its NOT because they make bad product or because of a lack of followers. Even GAP jumped in and helped with developing the action...TC must be doing something right. I bet thats why S&W wanted in, they wanted into the bolt game also.
I love the looks of a Single. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
NEVER OWN A SINGLE SHOT FOR HUNTING.......WHY DO YOU THINK TC (the biggest single Manf) is going to a bolt this June. I dont care how good of a shot you are. Why not have some quick backup??? Plus I hate the look of a SIngle.

Hmmm, don't know about that. I think TC went to a bolt gun because they wanted to widen their selection, and make more money like any company, not because the bolt action is "better". To each his own, but I think the Ruger #1 is one of the best looking rifles out there, hands down.

I'd think you could go with either action and not be disappointed either way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

A old time local gunsmith (who was very good) told me my Browning falling block would never be as accurate as a bolt gun. His reason was a 2 piece stock. I would buy a single shot varmint rifle, but never a two piece stock for varmints.
Jim

The most accurate action is a single shot bolt action, Period. No way anybody can argue with that. When was the last time you saw anything else being shot in a Benchrest match???? Yes, I know, hunter and factory classes excluded.

To date nobody has made any action more accurate than a solid bottom turnbolt.

Jack

I give a thumbs up to BigJake. I have a Ruger No. 1 Tropical in .458. Think it is a very handsome rifle, not saying that bolts aren't good looking as well.

Either bolt or single shot will shoot better than 99% of the users but I'd agree with those that say that the ultimate accuracy champ will be a tuned, single shot magazineless bolt like Mr. Roberts said. Don

Hmmm, don't know about that. I think TC went to a bolt gun because they wanted to widen their selection, and make more money like any company, not because the bolt action is "better". To each his own, but I think the Ruger #1 is one of the best looking rifles out there, hands down.

I'd think you could go with either action and not be disappointed either way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

+1 100% /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I have killed a couple of doubles using my TC and never felt as though I was handicaped by the single action...

Well, maybe once there was a time when I might have been able to pull a triple but was certainly the exception not the norm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as the looks, that's in the eye of the beholder. I personally don't think my TC is very attractive but it's purpose built and that gives it its own charisma. If follow up shots were that common for me then I think I would pass on both single shots and bolt rifles and go straight to an AR or a semi. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blaze

Never owned a Ruger No 1, but one thing I used to read about in the past concerning them was accuracy problems in some of the varmint guns due to the way the forend was attached on them. I know there was a few articles written on how to correct this problem, but it has been quite a few years since I read them. So, I don't know if the more recently produced guns have had that rectified in redesign.

Since your question was which is better and not which is "benchrest accurate" I guess you should expect all kinds of answers. The difference between the two for hunting purposes is very very small in the accuracy department. I like a single shot but I own several of both and the only way I would feel handicapped would be if I were being attacked.

Ruger is finally installing "quality barrels " on their #1 rifles. The Ruger #1 is easier to tune than the T/C Encore/pro hunter. With the Ruger #1 free floating the fore-end and tuning the fore-end screw to find the "sweet spot" of barrel harmonics is a easy process and thats only if the rifle needs it. The T/C fore-end either works screwed to the barrel or free floated. Both rifles are capable of sub-MOA groups which is more than adequate for predator hunting.

The problem with both rifles is vertical stringing of shots which may be condusive to the 2 piece stocks as the barrel heats up. I am convinced that a 2 piece stocked single shot rifle needs barrel support at the fore-end...or at least most of them do.

Every rifle is one into itself and accuracy solutions for each of these single shots will very from rifle to rifle.

I use both the #1 and T/C encore/Pro hunter and have never felt limited by having one shot by either.

One over looked area of single shot rifles is they "HEADSPACE" differently and cases but be sized to
allow for the set-back after firing. This set-back can be as little as .001 to point .004 in head space.

I have to agree with skb there aint much difference
As far as hunting goes having a single shot makes you think about the first shot and having a second (quick) is really no handicap unless there are more targets but then again you have to leave a little seed
My Ruger #1 is in 25-06 cal and I have not had to do anything to make it more accurate than finding what it likes to shoot....

Probably about the biggest advantage of the bolt action varmint rifle, for most shooters, is that it's relatively easy to find an inexpensive bolt action that will shoot accurately ..... perhaps with a minimum of work ......... usually trigger and/or bedding.

That's not true with the single shot rifles. Except for the NEF, which is inexpensive and has it's own unique quirks, the others are relatively more expensive, and/or can require a more sophisticated owner/shooter to give them the tuning that gets them to perform to their capabilities. Generally, they're finished externally to a better condition than the lower priced bolt actions, of course. But, you have to decide what your priorities are: Looks? Accuracy? Uniqueness? Fast reloading? Price?

Being cheap, with a desire to have an accurate rifle capable of quick second or third shots, keeps me coming back to Savages and their "Tupperwear" stocks.

Back