CAN YOU SHORTEN A SYNTHETIC STOCK?

spy231

I have decided to get my wife a .243 and I think I have decided on the Savage Stevens (poll in different post lead to this decision). Can you shorten a synthetic stock? She basically needs a youth model and I do not want to have to buy another stock. Thanks guys.

Yes you can shorten it. You will either have to regrind your recoil pad, get a slip over pad, or a different aftermarket grind to fit pad. Shortening the stock will make the stock a little bit shorter from heel to toe, also, sometimes a little bit narrower, at the point the pad goes on. Get her a slip over Sims Vibration Lab pad, or a grind to fit Sims or HiViz Xcoil pad. If you have never put one on, you probably should have a gunsmith fit a grind to fit pad. Even with the little recoil a .243 has, either of those three will make shooting it a more pleasant experience for her.

You can get a Sims slip over pad from Wal Mart for about $20. I put two on my shotguns (3.5" 12ga. and 10ga.) and they made a world of difference in felt recoil.

Spy231,

See my post under your first post regarding which gun to buy, Stevens of NEF.

I would bet that the Stevens stock will be hollow with tabs molded in at the butt to accept the screws that hold on the recoil pad. Cut down that synthetic stock and you will probably lose much, if not all of the tabs that holds the butt plate screws in place.

Quote:
Spy231, Cut down that synthetic stock and you will probably lose much, if not all of the tabs that holds the butt plate screws in place.

I've shortened a couple of synthetic stocks. After I cut the stock I shaped two pieces of hardwood to fit the bottom and top of the inside of the stock. After they were shaped I glued them in place with epoxy. I screwed the pads to the wood blocks and then ground them.

BTW some stocks are foam filled. Make sure the area between the wood blocks and the stock are clean and free of foam so that the adhesive holds.

I have shortened many of them and the best way I have found, 1: remove factory hard no good son of a pad and throw away. 2: cut stock to lenght (normally remove half inch) 3: fill stock with expanding foam let set til fully sets up 4: remove a half inch of foam and rough of the insides of the stock and fill with glass bed compound or JB weld let set for 48 hours 5: sand flat and install new pad. I use a lot of Hunter pads from Lock Stock and Barrel. for under 10 dollars the respond like pacmayer pad that cost three times as much.

A stevens is hollow with a piece of styrofoam in it. I cut it down and put a slip on pad (sims) and it works just fine for my 12 yr old.. As he grows I will replace the stock.

You an check here

www.savageshooters.com

in the classified, I have found pull off youth stocks for about $50 in the past.

Back