A few more Swedish Reds

Arcticfox

As usual the calling is picking up towards the later part of the season. The deep soft snow has started melting together and freeze at nights up here. Further south they have already lost the snow.

I went down to hunt with a buddy in Central Sweden about a week ago. It was the last days of the season down there, ends March 15.
It was a bit too windy for my taste, but we were down there and were convinced there were plenty of foxes. Still we called the whole first morning without seeing a single fox. In the evening I called in two. For a change I got mine and my buddy missed his.
The second morning we had a sneaker show himself well downwind of my buddy, but he didn't get a shot. In the evening I had one suddenly pop up at 50 yards straight to my right. It was gone before I could get my sights on it.
The third days was our big day with 7 foxes called in and 3 shot.

Here is my buddy P-A with the first of the morning. A female that came out on a forest edge out of sight and downwind from me. She caught my wind, but after she took off over a field she made one last stop before entering the woods 200 yards from P-A, and down she went.
P-Amedrav.jpg

Here is P-A watching my back on the following stand.
RavpassareUppland01.jpg

And here is the big old fox he killed. (Just as I spotted it at the forest edge staring at the Predator Enticer in the field in front of me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif)
RavhaneBenstod.jpg

This is the four foxes that actually got shot out of the 11 I called in down there. We got two each, all good-sized adults.
ULm4Upplandsravar.jpg

And this is the first I have managed to hit since I got back up north. I have called in 4 in three mornings and one evening (plus 2 showing outside range). I will not reveal the exact number of shots fired as I can see no good come out of that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Stor-Bodtrasktiken.jpg

Excellent work. Good story and some good pictures too. I really like the picture of your stand setup. He's pretty well hidden in that pic.

Congrats on those nice reds! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Awesome pictures. Good lucking fox and country.

Good stand photo with the shooter laying prone amongst the rocks in the shade. Blends in quite well and I think it's neat using the, what appears to be a reindeer hide, as your mat.

Thanks for sharing.

P-A is on a reindeer hide alright! I'm impressed, Tony! (Called in a few with the production cow tips, BTW! Will try to remember posting a pic next time!)

Randy, most of them are a little bit rubbed now. It's one of those things I just have to learn to live with! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif They haven't really started coming seriously to the call until now. It's no big deal though, with fur prices being what they are I am still best off just selling the whole carcass to a nationwide veterinary survey for about $30 apiece, regardless of fur condition...

Cweeks, we have mostly been taking big foxes during the last couple of weeks. Maybe because I am such a sucker for deep gravelly calls!? The biggest of those was 20 pounds and we have taken a few more males in the 18-20 pound class. P-A weighs them all, so for a change I know. And you're right, no coyotes here! (Plenty of trappers, though, at least up here in the north!)

Had a tough night last night and this morning. I called four stands and saw nothing, P-A called four stands and killed three good sized males in the first three stands... Then I got skunked on three straight stands tonight. I need to go out tomorrow morning to break this dry spell before I finally get myself one good nights sleep!

That is awesome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I always enjoy seeing your posts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Looks like you had great time down there....congrats to the foxes....for me the season is over for fox now i was out this weekend had some problem getting them interested. Called in two but the distance made me choose not to shoot, my goal this season after reading Articfox article in a huntingmagazine was to learn how to call and take down at least one fox and that goal is completed. Cant wait until next season now im setting my sights on beaver (the animal) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the season is open until May 15.

bird dog 3, I'm still out and about for sure. Hope you had a good season and that those pointers got inte some birds for you! Mine is working now but you need not be a birddog professional to see that she is still nowhere near the same league as those shorthairs of yours!

JohnP - might be back next January! Things are still only in the planning, but I might be going to Shot Show for the magazine next year and then I might just go to the PM hunt in Globe before that. That would leave me in the southwest for a week between Globe and Shot Show. I'll keep you posted!

Lenneskog - can't help but promote this: This morning I called in a fox for Mitt i Naturen, a nature show on Swedish National Television. It will become a 4 minute clip and be sent on April 25, if things go as planned. Well, actually you can't see the fox coming in, only going out after it spotted the cameraman turning his head. (There were very few chances for any fox to come in without spotting that, I am afraid.)

Thats really cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif I wont miss it and i can see what you mean having a cameraman lurking in the bush hehe, are you up for any beaver hunts before the season ends?
I hope for better luck this season last season i got nothing, i only hunt them in the spring so it gets pretty tight with time now as the fox ends two weeks before the beaver.

Back