Difference between Remington 40X and 700 VS?

Bluedeacon

Ok guys, what's the big difference? Does the 40X shoot that much better? There is a thousand dollars difference in the price but I don't mind paying for the accuracy, The reason I compare these two is I'm looking for a heavy bolt action in left-hand.

My understanding is that if you were going to shoot a single shot the single shot 40X is stronger and will not flex like a 700 action. However, if you don't want a single shot the 700 action will be fine.

As far as diffenences between the rifles the 40X has been squared and lapped and all the stuff competition shooters look for. I'm not sure about the barrels.

For my money I would call GA Precision http://www.gaprecision.net/indexr.html and have them build me a custom rifle. The 40X is in the neighborhood of $1600. For $2100 I can have a

"G.A. Precision Base Tactical Rifle

G. A. Precision Base Rifle is built around a brand new factory fresh Remington 700 BDL action. The rifle will hold 1/2 MOA accuracy. Rifle specs: The action is completely trued. The action threads are trued. The action bolt lugs are trued. Badger Ordnance precision ground heavy recoil lug installed. The bolt face is trued. The bolt lugs are trued. A true hand lapped match grade barrel is hand fitted to the action. The chamber is cut to true minimum specifications. The barrel is crowned with a recessed target crown. The barrel is bead blasted and finished in black oxide. The rifle is nested into McMillan M40A1/HTG stock. The rifle assembly is custom pillar bedded with contoured Aluminum pillars. A recoil pad is affixed to the stock. Two sling studs are affixed to the stock. One on the fore stock, one on the butt stock."

There are a lot of the big dogs shooting these rifles and loveing them.

If you just want something to hunt and shoot some targets or shoot informal competition with the 700 VS would be fine with a few upgrades like bedding the action and lapping the bolt. The trigger is decent after you spend some time adjusting it. I opted for a Jewell for my 700 LTR. JARD also makes a drop in trigger and sear that uses your existing trigger assembly that is amazing for about $50.

Cheers!

The biggest advantage to the 40X is that you can get it in a single shot. You can also get a repeater if you are shooting across-the-course matches. The repeater is clip slotted for stripper clips. The 40X stock is pretty nice. You get a heavy stainless match barrel on the 40X, which is better than the regular Remington barrels, but not as good as a top quality custom barrel. THEY ARE NOT TRUED OR LAPPED. I have blueprinted a lot of Remington actions and some of the crookedest ones have been 40Xs.

The single shot action is the only real advantage. You still need to have the action blueprinted, a match trigger, and maybe a new barrel.

Unless you just have to have a single shot, start with the ADL and save a lot of money. Or, find a single shot XP100 and convert it into a rifle.

Jack

The 40X is an overpriced M700 that has to shoot 1/2" moa before it leaves the factory. It is NOT squared and trued. You can spend less and get more if you buy a used ADL and have it squared/trued and rebarreled with a top quality barrel.

Gordy Gritters wrote an article on trueing 2 40Xs for factory competition in this quarters VHM. They were way out. The bolt handle broke off of one when he was taking it apart. If you are not a member and want to see the article Sinclair has them for about 6 bucks. It explains in detail how he trues everything.

Greetings,
I own a Remington 40XBBR in .222Rem. It's a single shot with a 20" SS barrel that shoots .250" regularly. The rifle has had no work at all done to it, no new trigger, bedding or anything since I bought it new in 1973. I understand these older 40X's are actually better than the ones currently being made. If I were you I'd contact Bob White, former president of International Benchrest Shooters. He has a shop in NJ, and is one of the most knowledgeable persons around, and a nice guy to boot. He's also one of the nations largest dealers in accuracy equipment. His website is: www.benchrest.com. His phone number is: 973 663-5159, EMAIL: shootcnr@optonline,net Give his website a browse, lots of great stuff there.
Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Thanks guys, Jack, I knew you would come through for me. Thanks again everybody. I will have to take a look at the 2100.00 jobbie, hmmmmm.

Back