Just ordered a pup

svalko

Hey guys, I just bought a pup, running walker/Bluetick.
Hey will be coming home the end of april. I want to make him the ultimate coyote dog. I want some inquire from you guys on how to prepare this dog to be real good right from him being so young.
Thanks

Svalko
First off welcome to the world of hounds
Find yourself a roadkill coyote or a yote that you dont care for the fresher the better. tie a bungie cosrd to it and tease the heck out of that pup let him get a little and put it away. after you do this for a while tie the bungie up so the pup has to jump or try hard to get it let him play for a half hour or so. This is what I did with my pup and it has worked well.
Right from the start get him on a lead and teach him that when you are just walking to walk behind you.
Take him to the wods and let him play and discover water, down trees and berry brush. This helps him get ofer the fear as a pup so when you start turning him and the older dogs cross a creek or whatever he dont get lost.
If he starts chaseing anything it is time to stop as he may develop bad habits.
Now its time to start in the pen.

I did all of this with my Hank pup and he is 7-8 mo. old 2 weekends ago he came through 2 sections and was there with a cought coyote and was face barking the yote wanting to pull some hair. Last weekend I was walking him on a lead in the woods and one of the guys said they saw a yote on the feilds edge so I walked him over to where they figured it came out, as I was walking down the area where the track was , on dry ground, he was nose down then he opened and pullin hard.

great advice, that will create a bit of a cold nose for him also? how do you feel about the breed I picked, there is grit bred into him and I was hoping that bluetick nose will also be an acception.

Most coon hound lines, IMO, are more gritty than the running walkers. The nose should be natural for the bluetick. The thing to rember with hounds is that they take much longer to teach than, say, a lab. The guy I got my Hank pup from trains coon hounds and high end bird dogs he has been the biggest help in the world. Most of what I have done is straight from his mouth.
With hounds you don't nessiarly train them, you help them to get all that is locked in their head out. Most stuff that they will do is genetics not to be tought. most wont heal and sit like labs but lost of encuragement and patiance will go a long ways. The running walker line is a soft dog if you are to rough on them they may laydown and cower, where as a coon hound doesn't get phased from a whoopin. My female lays down if I am in the yard hollarin at my lab.

I hope things go that way, I will do everything in my power to have that kind of a dog. This hound might be hunting lots by himself as we can only take one dog for now.

Not too far from you actually. I'm in Essex County, about 30 mins South of Windsor. Only about 2.5 hours away from you.

Successful year for yote hunting?

ya not to bad, I shot only 2 coyote's off the dogs due mostly because I couldnt get out enough. I also do some calling, and sell primo's game calls. I really take a shine to the hounds, tp here them run is just awesome.

Back