22-250 70 grain bullet load

ACE-MAN

Should receive my new Savage LRPV with the 1in9 twist in a couple weeks. I have purchased 70 grain Berger VLD's and I'm open for input? Thanks

I am pushing the 75Amax at 3300+ from a 22" 8 twist 22-250. You should be able to push the 70's faster than that with your barrel length. I hope you like the rifle, I shot a 204 and 223 LRPV that belongs to a friend and they are really nice rifles.

Thanks brdeano. Several other sources like this powder as well. I have heard not to pay attention to your 100 yard groups. Pay attention to 200 and 300 yard groups instead. Do you give this thinking any credance?

I'm not brdeano, but I'll take a shot at that question...

While it's not possible for a rifle to shoot a physically smaller group (excluding "operator error", of course), it isn't at all unusual for some rifle to print smaller MOA groups at longer range.

I've had several loads in several rifles that would print only 1" (1 MOA) at 100, but open up to only 1.25" (.625 MOA) at 200.

The type of bullet you shoot can make a difference, also. Normally, flat base bullets stabilize quicker, hence their popularity among 100 & 200 yard BR shooters. They do not, however, hold up at long range as well as a boat tail, which takes a little more distance to stabilize, but holds on better at longer ranges. Hence the preference for boat tail bullets among long range benchrest shooters.

While I'm naturally interested in what my pdog loads do at 100 yards, I really consider the 200 yard and 300 yard groups much more important and informative.

Mike

Like you Linefinder. I am pdog shooter. Last year I got the long range BUG. So this year I have added two dedicated long range rifles to the collecion. The other rifle I'm speaking of is a 22-243 Winchester. My barrel maker and gunsmith is a long-range pdog shooter. He stated that the 100 yard group is not important. But rather the two and three hundred groups with emphasis on the three hundred yard group. His words were the bullet settles down at around three hundred yards.
In both calibers I will chosen Berger VLD's. 70's for the 250 and 80's for the 22-243. I have not received either of these rifles yet although I do have all the components ready to go. Thanks for posting.

It is very typical of the VLD bullets to shoot smaller MOA at the longer range. I have seen 1 MOA groups at 100 shoot 1/2 MOA at 300.

Jack

It is not logical to think in this manner. Bullet dispersion at 100 yards should be three times that at 300 yards. Actually more, due to more atmospheric conditions coming into play IE(Wind & air density). Explain the science Jack Roberts?

It is observed results, not intuitive logic.
Plenty of ballesticians have been explaining it for years. It is a bit hard to follow but you just can't argue with results. Many bullets, especially the VLDs definitely shoot smaller MOA at longer range.
The reason can be discussed forever but the fact it happens is no doubt.

Jack

I hope this isn't getting of topic, but why wouldn't a person choose a 243 to shoot 70gr pills rather than a 22-250. I'm new to all this, but other than to be different (and that is a reasonable answer) I can only see a 243 doing a better job than a 22-250.

I have only seen a couple of heavy barrel .243 Winchesters, but they didn't shoot as accurately as did similar .22-250 Rem. chambered guns. About 1/2 MOA was the best they could do. Also, the recoil was heavier, bullet cost is higher as is the muzzle blast. A 70 grain .224" bullet should shoot flatter than a 70 grain .243" if both have the same MV, and that means a greater margin for error in judging distance for the .224" bullet shooter.

The downside is that most long .224" bullets I have seen have had a greater tendency to richochet, at ranges under 500 yards, as compared to a bullet like the 70 grain Nosler BT.

B.C. rules at distance. There is no way around that. You have to compare like B.C.'s in different calibers not just bullet weight. You cant fairly compare a .22 centerfire shooting a 75 Amax with a bc of .435 to a 243 shooting a 75 Vmax with a bc of .300. I have been getting into long range shooting and custom rifles the last couple years, and I have also learned that sometimes I was happier when I shot junk rifles with crappy optics, factory ammo, was happy with 2MOA groups, still killed deer and yotes and didn't know any better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .

CDR, Good call on the richochets. I often shoot around cows when pdog shooting. Your reminder will be ever present as I shoot in a couple months. If any of us bust a cow it's a thousand bucks in the ranchers pocket. I have a rare heavy barrel 243 Sako L579. This rifles barrel is at the end of it's service life. The 243 is fun and will throw a pdog into the air like few rifles. The down side is recoil and the rifle gets hot quickly. It's also rare you get to see the hit. You sure hear it though.

Back