calling bears

DPM223

This fall I would like to go to Minnesota bear hunting and would appreciate any information I could get on the best places to go and any tips on calling bears. Thanks!

I guided bear hunters in MN for 6 yrs,send me a PM and I will try to help you out.I will be hunting there this coming fall on my old hunting grounds.

Don't know places to go in Minnesota but have called several bears in the western US and in Canada, blacks and grizzlies. They seem nose dominant, so set up to see downwind. I've used my mainstay of raspy jack rabbit hand call, which sounds a lot like a fawn. I know most people say to call non-stop but I called all of mine with ten to 30 seconds of calling with a minute or so of silence, sometimes longer silence. Non-stop may work even better, never tried it.

I've called most of them in the woods, sometimes with an overgrown road to work with, sometimes semi-open forest and underbrush, sometimes pretty thick woods with max of 30 yards visibility. Called one in a clearcut within rifle range. The only ones I know about that didn't come when called were bears above timberline, in wide open country feeding on Fall berries. Have called several when I was within 400 yards of a guide's bait station, that he was no longer using. Most of mine have been spec calling in an area of heavy bear sign, though I have called a few that we spotted first and then set up to call.

We've had sows with cubs come in. It can be hard to judge the size of a bear that approaches in brush or grass.

Back