.224 bullets in .223 barrel ?

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I just picked up an old Savage 219 in 22 Hornet. I believe it to be an early model because it has no serial number. Because of it's age I suspect that it has a .223 barrel.

Can .224 bullets be used in the .223 barrel? Are factory shell loaded with .223 bullets so they can be fired in all the old Hornets still around? I haven't fiddled around with a Hornet since my EX had an old Savage 23 for fox hunting in the 70's.

Thamks
AWS

I would gather that no factory loads for a Hornet will still be around in .223 dia. Would think that .224 Hornet loads will shoot in the .223 dia barrel. We have shot .357 jacketed bullets in our .356 .38 Super barrels for years in matches with no problems.

I suggest you make a lead slug and slug the barrel this will tell you the true diameter. I also have some factory 22 hornet 224 dia loads and the dies if you are Interested in them I will sell them cheap or I would consider a trade for other bullets.

AWS, if it is found to have a 223 barrel, send me a PM, I got a couple boxes of .223 Sierra hornet bullets I can send your way to try.

There have been many millions of .224 bullets shot through .223 barrels with the only effect being an occasional increase in accuracy.

Jack

Howdy,
Just some great info : All the new CZ 527 22hornet rifles have a .223 bore & I have had no problem with using .224 reloads, in fact I have better accuracy in the CZ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif than in my 77/22 ruger hornet that has a .224 bore.
That`s my 2 cents.

Wiskers

Quote:
There have been many millions of .224 bullets shot through .223 barrels with the only effect being an occasional increase in accuracy.

Jack

Yep!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks guys I feel a little better about touching off some modern ammo in the oldie. Sorry this Thankyou took so long I was out of town and couldn't remember my password or access my e-mail.

AWS

From what I understand, Harvey Donaldson favored using slightly oversize bullets and a grease patch underneath them. The theory was that the oversize bullets sealed the bore better allowing the use of lighter powder charges for more efficient use of the powder at higher velocities. However, he used a more gradual lead than often found now, which would reduce pressures somewhat when using the over size bullets.

So, just make certain that you work up a load specifically for the oversized bullets. Don't just substitute the bullets and use data prepared for the use of the .223" bullets.

My little CZ 527 Hornet, is bored .223, but it happily digests .224 bullets, and puts them into tiny little goups, as well as killing a bunch of coyotes for the last two winters.

Back