Choosing twist rate in 22 250 caliber

Logan

Hello everyone, This is my first post. I currently don't own any firearms and havent hunted or used any firearms in a decade or so. I am getting ready to purchase a scope and soon after a 22 250 rifle. Im pretty much decided on either a Savage Model 12 BVSS or more than likely the Model 12 Long Range Precision Varmint. I have seen websites where they offer the LRPV in either 9" or 12" twist rates. I have a friend who will do some reloading for me. He is going to bring me some load data to help me decide on a twist rate. I would like to hear your pros and cons as well. At the moment my main interest is in target shooting (up too about 500 yds) more so than hunting, that may very well change though, when hunting I will be interested mostly in Coyote, Bobcat and Fox. For a scope Im seriously considering the Nikon 6.5 x 20 44 illuminated mil dot.

The 1 in 9 will shoot the 40 and 50 Gr. bullets just fine. I'd go with the faster twist if you are doing targets mostly. That would allow you to shoot 68 and 69 Gr bullets no problem.

Last edited:
I second what Jay has said about twist. The faster twist barrels will normally shoot the lighter "varmint" style bullets just fine, but the slower twist barrels dont handle the heavy "long range" bullets as well. The 1:9 twist sounds like it would suit you much better.

BANDIT

I used to be stuck with the idea that any 22 center fire should have a 1&14 twist barrel. I now believe that any center fire 22 should have nothing less than the 1&9 and prefer the 1&8 . I will never build another 22 with a barrel twist over 1&9, reguardless of cal . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Well for someone who just bought a ruger mark II I am dissapointe now after hearing that mine has a 1-14 twist......DAMN

Quote:
I used to be stuck with the idea that any 22 center fire should have a 1&14 twist barrel. I now believe that any center fire 22 should have nothing less than the 1&9 and prefer the 1&8 . I will never build another 22 with a barrel twist over 1&9, reguardless of cal . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

+10 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I think a 1:8 is the only way to go, my last 2 have been 8 twists and I couldn't be happier. They will still shoot the light bullets and it gives you alot of options with the heavy bullets. It doesn't make sense to me to limit yourself to light bullets if you dont have to; if you are building a specific rifle to do one thing and one thing only with the light bullets is the only exception I could think of.

Just for the heck of it I'll take the other side of this equation. I spent more than 25 years plunking bullets downrange with a 22-250 and had excellent accuracy with bullets in the 50 to 60 grain range, especially the 55 grainer out to 500 yards and sometimes beyond.

This 50 to 60 grain size is the most popular weight range along with also being the most economical bullet to shoot in the .224 bore. When you stop buying bulk .224 and start buying the heavy for the caliber bullets a hundred at a time your cost of shooting goes up. They also make the best of the velocity capabilities of the 22-250 which is often the reason we go to the bigger case of the 22-250 instead of the .223.

Thats not the best reason either that I would consider a 1 in 10 or a 1 in 12 twist 22-250. The best reason is simple barrel life. A 1 in 9 or 1 in 8 .224 barrel pushing a .224 bore diameter bullet at 3500 to 3700 fps won't give you the barrel life that a slower twist will.

If you don't mind replacing the barrel every 1500 to 2000 rounds think about that lower twist rate. Every 22-250 I have owned grouped well under an inch at a hundred yards and a 1 in 10 was the fastest twist I ever ran and several of those 22-250 went well past 4 and 5000 rounds before needing a new barrel..

In over 25 years of shooting the heaviest bullet out of those guns was the 55 grainer and lots of shots were made out to 500 yards and some longer. Need more range than that you might want to consider a 243.

Bottom line is if it's strictly a coyote gun where you don't shoot more than a couple of hundred rounds a year and you never venture into the squirrel fields where often 200 rounds a day is the norm you will never notice the difference for a bunch of years.

If this is a dual purpose gun where your going to shoot a thousand rounds a year or better then put some thought to one of the slower twist guns. I'd bet a dollar to a donut that more 50 and 55 grain bullets are sold and shot by most 22-250 users and the costs of changing out a barrel should figure into your equation.

I disagree with most of the opinions given reason is, 1:8 and 1:9 twists are for 223's the problem with putting that fast a twist in rifles like the 22-250 is you are likely to get blow ups by over spinning lighter bullets like the 50grn size, with those really fast twists you are stuck with shooting bullets 60grns and up, why do you think noone chambers 22-250s with that fast a twist?? Besides if you shoot a 22-250 imo with bullets over 55grns you ruin what the 22-250 was designed for, and that is lazer flat shooting to 350+ yards, heavier bullets will work well at longer distances but the range better be well established as you are going to have a much more rainbow like trajectory, all this is fine when shooting at the range, in actual field conditions heavy bullets are much harder to work with, that is why I think its stupid to shoot 69 grn and heavier bullets from a 223, those are for HP shooters shooting at KNOWN ranges so hold over is not an issue, If long range is what you are looking for don't try to put 50#'s in a 40# sack, step up to a 243 or 6mm, and shoot heavier bullets that will get the job done way out there, while having enough velocity to be flat shooting.

the 22-250 or swift for that matter are taylor made for 50grn bullets, anything bigger than that just get a 243 or 6mm,

I'll splash some cold water on this one too.

The "standard: twist for a 22-250 has always been 1:14, and it seems to be ideally suited to 55gr bullets. I have hit p-dogs at 700yds with that combo, though not with first shot capability and only with zero wind.

The longer/heavier VLD bullets will extend the effective range some, and of course help tremendously in wind, but they require a faster twist to stabilize them. A faster twist is a two edged sword though.

I had a 1:8 twist 250 barrel that shot like a house afire...for the 800-1000 rounds it took to burn the barrel out. I had to "download" the lighter bullets, or have them blow up before they reached the target. Shooting light weight bullets very fast from a fast twist barrel increases barrel wear considerably too.

I wouldn't recommend a 1:9 twist unless you only plan on shooting VLD bullets, and don't mind replacing a barrel after a few weekends of p-dog shooting, or a couple of months of target shooting. Shooting VLD bullets will likely give you less accuracy at "normal" hunting ranges too. They often don't start showing their accuracy potential until 250-300 yds.

A 1:9 22-250 is going to be a great 300-600yd varmint gun, but from a practical standpoint it will be a dedicated long-range rifle with a very short relative barrel life, and for really long range, there are much better chamberings than a 22-250.

"Up to about 500yds" a "normal" 1:14 twist and 55gr bullets would actually work pretty well. I'd prefer a 1:12 twist to be able to shoot bullets up to (maybe) the 70gr range to help buck light winds, but I wouldn't have another 1:8 (or 1:9) twist 250 barrel.

As far as hunting coyote bobcat and fox, an 22-250 is a great coyote round, not a bad bobcat round, and a terrible fox round (will turn them inside out), but again a fast twist will hurt here more than help. Unless you are specifically setting up for long range, almost all shots will be at less than 250yds with the majority at 100yds or less, and the VLDs out of a fast twist 250 will probably be less accurate at those ranges. For that same reason (shorter ranges) your choice of scope would be a hindrance for predator hunting too. A 6.5 X 20 is great for long range p-dogs or targets (probably don't need the illuminated reticle though), but is too much magnification for the coyote that appears 40yds from you. A 3 X 9 (or less) would serve better for that purpose.

If you are really set on shooting VLD bullets, you might also consider a fast twist (1:7 or 1:8) .223. It will be almost as good as the 250 at long range with VLDs (the winners in National Match competition prove it's long range capabilities every year). It won't be (quite) so destructive on fox, will shoot lighter as well as heavier bullets without appreciably increasing barrel wear, and it will have many times the barrel life of even a "normal" twist 22-250.

Quote:

The "standard: twist for a 22-250 has always been 1:14, and it seems to be ideally suited to 55gr bullets. I have hit p-dogs at 700yds with that combo, though not with first shot capability and only with zero wind.

The longer/heavier VLD bullets will extend the effective range some, and of course help tremendously in wind, but they require a faster twist to stabilize them. A faster twist is a two edged sword though.

I had a 1:8 twist 250 barrel that shot like a house afire...for the 800-1000 rounds it took to burn the barrel out. I had to "download" the lighter bullets, or have them blow up before they reached the target. Shooting light weight bullets very fast from a fast twist barrel increases barrel wear considerably too.

I wouldn't recommend a 1:9 twist unless you only plan on shooting VLD bullets, and don't mind replacing a barrel after a few weekends of p-dog shooting, or a couple of months of target shooting. Shooting VLD bullets will likely give you less accuracy at "normal" hunting ranges too. They often don't start showing their accuracy potential until 250-300 yds.

A 1:9 22-250 is going to be a great 300-600yd varmint gun, but from a practical standpoint it will be a dedicated long-range rifle with a very short relative barrel life, and for really long range, there are much better chamberings than a 22-250.

"Up to about 500yds" a "normal" 1:14 twist and 55gr bullets would actually work pretty well. I'd prefer a 1:12 twist to be able to shoot bullets up to (maybe) the 70gr range to help buck light winds, but I wouldn't have another 1:8 (or 1:9) twist 250 barrel.

As far as hunting coyote bobcat and fox, an 22-250 is a great coyote round, not a bad bobcat round, and a terrible fox round (will turn them inside out), but again a fast twist will hurt here more than help. Unless you are specifically setting up for long range, almost all shots will be at less than 250yds with the majority at 100yds or less, and the VLDs out of a fast twist 250 will probably be less accurate at those ranges. For that same reason (shorter ranges) your choice of scope would be a hindrance for predator hunting too. A 6.5 X 20 is great for long range p-dogs or targets (probably don't need the illuminated reticle though), but is too much magnification for the coyote that appears 40yds from you. A 3 X 9 (or less) would serve better for that purpose.

If you are really set on shooting VLD bullets, you might also consider a fast twist (1:7 or 1:8) .223. It will be almost as good as the 250 at long range with VLDs (the winners in National Match competition prove it's long range capabilities every year). It won't be (quite) so destructive on fox, will shoot lighter as well as heavier bullets without appreciably increasing barrel wear, and it will have many times the barrel life of even a "normal" twist 22-250.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Logan
I have a LRPV 22-250 with the 1-12 twist and it will shoot 50gr on up to the 64gr Bergers extreamly well but I haven't had much luck getting anything longer to shoot well. If I were going to get another LRPV it would be the 1-7 .223 plus if you don't reload their is some decent factory stuff out their and cheaper than the 22-250 ammo

Quote:
I disagree with most of the opinions given reason is, 1:8 and 1:9 twists are for 223's the problem with putting that fast a twist in rifles like the 22-250 is you are likely to get blow ups by over spinning lighter bullets like the 50grn size, with those really fast twists you are stuck with shooting bullets 60grns and up, why do you think noone chambers 22-250s with that fast a twist?? Besides if you shoot a 22-250 imo with bullets over 55grns you ruin what the 22-250 was designed for, and that is lazer flat shooting to 350+ yards, heavier bullets will work well at longer distances but the range better be well established as you are going to have a much more rainbow like trajectory, all this is fine when shooting at the range, in actual field conditions heavy bullets are much harder to work with, that is why I think its stupid to shoot 69 grn and heavier bullets from a 223, those are for HP shooters shooting at KNOWN ranges so hold over is not an issue, If long range is what you are looking for don't try to put 50#'s in a 40# sack, step up to a 243 or 6mm, and shoot heavier bullets that will get the job done way out there, while having enough velocity to be flat shooting.

the 22-250 or swift for that matter are taylor made for 50grn bullets, anything bigger than that just get a 243 or 6mm,

I'm backing this candidate...

I've actually had this very frustrating experience of spinning the lighter bullets too fast. Keyholes were commonplace.

I'd go with the conventional wisdom on the topic that says fast twist for the heavier (62-80 gr.)bullets, and slower twist for the lighter weights (40-55). 1:12 will probably be a very good compromise. If you're blasting varmints, there probably will never be a reason to shoot anything outside the 40-55 grain range.

Wow great pros an cons everyone. It's great to see both sides of the subject. Im leaning towards a 12" twist for barrel life mainly at the moment. As far as the scope goes I realize it will be a big hinderance under 50 yds. I may consider a slightly lower power say 4-16x, but I really like the idea of having high power for the target range. The illuminated mil dot is adjustable brightness both red and green or can be turned off for regular mil dot reticle. I like that idea and so far thats about the only scope ive seen in the power im looking for in that price range. I plan on getting a foxpro remote caller and setting it out quite aways so Im thinking for the most part the high power will work well, im sure there will still be times though when the yote comes through closer than 50 yds and ill wish I had less power. Anyhow, Thanks alot for all your input everyone!

Quote:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif--------------------- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Here is my story; I am on a yr+ waiting list for a custom 22-250. While going over the details I asked about deviating from the conventional 1-14 twist in the 22-250. The conversation went the way of several previous posters with a guy I consider very knowledgeable on the subject(gunsmith). He steered me to the conventional 1-14 for the 22-250. I plan to shoot mostly 50-55 grain bullets. I have 2 223's with a 1-9 & I think that is fine but for barrel life & the speed of the bullet I think 1-14 or maybe 1-12 is fine in the 22-250.

It looks like we have defined the reason that nearly every major gun maker offers the .22-250 with 1 in 14 twist. I think one or two offer 1 in 12. So I was a little surprised that savage offered it in 1 in 9, I thought that was for the .223. Good Post

Back