.17 cal bullets

Berger makes a 37gr VLD that is the "cats meow" for 1000 yard shooting. The downside is that it works best in a 6" twist barrel that is good for 600 rounds at best. If you are only shooting predators or game, that is not a problem. If you will be shooting targets or colony varmints, the barrel life is too short.

Jack

Wildcat Bullets www.wildcatbullets.com makes a 47.5 gr. 17, that's quite something to see. D.L. Unmussig back east i think may still make his 37 grainer, but the most practical big 17's are probably gonna be Genco's 32 grainer (www.saubier.com), and Todd Kindler's 30 Gold, tho i'm not really sure they're considered VLD's. The BC is relatively higher tho.

Jack-- i believe Berger's no longer making that bullet anymore.

Last edited:
I like the Hammett 30gr BTHP for hunting. Kindler Gold is a great bullet as well but jacket is not as thick as the Hammett and I have seen signs of it trying to splash upon entry. However, it still killed everything it hit with no runners!

Quote:
I like the Hammett 30gr BTHP for hunting. Kindler Gold is a great bullet as well but jacket is not as thick as the Hammett and I have seen signs of it trying to splash upon entry. However, it still killed everything it hit with no runners!

Steve

Does Hammett have a web site? Who handles the bullets?

Thanx

Bill

Bill, it seems that none of these guys have websites. Guess they don't need it as they can sell all the bullets they make. Kindler is www.woodchuckden.com I think. You have to call all these guys. I think one of the .17 Rem Fireball posts has all these bullet folks with phone number posted on a thread.

Hammett is a great guy to talk too. If you don't find the post let me know. I will look for it.

When I talked to Mr. Hammett last summer I wanted to order some of his 30.8 gr. bullets. He told me that he was not making them any more. So, I wound up ordering his 27.8 gr. BT HP bullets. They are super accurate in my super match grade Pac-Nor .17 Rem barrel with 3 grooves and a 1 in 9" twist.

Back