anyone got a load for a 700 vssf 22-250

My Savage model 12 bbl likes the 50gr Vmax over 35gr varget. My boys Savage model 11 sporter likes 50gr Vmax over 34.8gr varget. I tried some H335 and 40gr Vmax that the model 12 liked, but couldn't find a load for the model 11. I like Varget due to it's temperature stability.

Chose a bullet weight and style that appeals to the hunting you do. Then get back to us. There is a plethora of .224 bullets out there and each can shoot differently. Personally in the 22-250 I like 55 grain bullets for the higher BC. If you are looking for spall you may want a lighter more frangible bullet that will do the trick.

I had a heck of a time with my 700 lv sf until i shot h-380 and ran the 52 gr sierra hpbt down the tube now it shoots great if you reload start with 53 gr bullet and go down

Ya can't hardly go wrong with 38 to 39 grains of H-380 with a 52 to 55 grain bullet. As mentioned by yotedog, a 52gr hpbt is super accurate out of most rifles.

Used H380 for years and it was accurate however it never would achieve the velocities in the load manuals. I wanted something fast so I looked around and in Nosler 4 the most accurate powder tested was IMR 4895 with a much better speed listrf which the load achieved. It is also more accurate than my old H380 load.

I continued looking and ran across a Benchmark load on the Hodgdon site it said 3900 fps they weren't kidding and it is nearly as accurate as the IMR 4895 one.

So now IMR 4895 and Benchmark are my go to powders with my 22-250 and 50 Gr. boolits.

Last edited:
I bought a 700 VSSF a couple of years ago with the intent of making a sub 1/2 inch rifle. I loaded and loaded and loaded..... I had the rifle pillar bedded--no change. The last load before ordering a new barrel was a 52 gr Berger with Varget powder. Shoots in the four's. Best group was .39 (4 in about 1/4"). This is the ONLY load it likes. I'm seating the bullets .01" off the lands with no improvement by varying the depth. This is the pickiest rifle I've ever loaded for but it sure is sweet when it finally comes together. And, I only need one load!

Hope this helps.

I have 700 vssf ll The action is bedded and a jewel trigger. I spent a lot of time plaing and finnally found the right load. 37 grains of varget.. fed 210m primers...Sierra 52 BTHP...and Nosler Brass... that about 3850 fps. I tried differant seating depth's and what works for this gun is .224 deep. That Dim. is form the bottom of the bullet into the case. Thats about .060 off the lands if I remember right. It shoots .375 groups or less if I do my part.

Good luck

Back