Experiences with AR chambered in .204 Ruger?

NimrodRx

I have bolt rifles in .223, .204, and .22-250. Love them all, but the past two years the .204 has gravitated to the front of the safe.

So… I’m in the position to add an AR to the stable. I’ve never really considered an AR in anything other than .223 Rem. But the more I think about it and the closer this project comes to being a reality, I’m really thinking of opting for the .204.

Help me make the right call guys. Primary usage will be as a call rifle for coyotes and the occasional red fox.

99.9% of my shots are less than 200 yrds, 70% are less than 100 yards. So why do I need the ballistics of the .204. At those ranges the .223 will get me there without even any hold over. Then again, there is the occasional woodchuck that I take a long poke at.

I am a hand loader. Currently I’m using the 35gr Berger .204 and the 52gr Speer MHPBT .224 in the .223. Both loads have been pretty fur friendly on coyotes and pretty destructive on fox. Perhaps the edge goes to the .204, but it is close.

Pros of the .223 AR – mil sur ammo for those days that I really want to pore through the lead. Time tested and proven.

Pros of the .204 AR – trajectory and drift. Muzzle jump (do you think a compensator is even necessary with this round?)

Cons of the .223 AR – can’t really think of any.

Cons of the .204 AR – no “cheap” ammo available. My handloads are not expensive to produce until you factor in time. I enjoy the process, but it could get tedious feeding an AR all hand loads. I guess I would just shoot it less than a .223 AR.

Would you worry about burning out a .204 bbl in an AR. I believe this to be hype in my bolt guns, but an AR? Might just have to lay off the happy trigger.

I understand the differences between the two cartridges. Just trying to decide how it applies to an AR.

Thanks for helping me sort this out in my head. And before the first guy tells me "just buy them both," in due time my friend, in due time. But which one first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ask bloodhounder about his, he had one made by a guy on this board and he absolutely loves it. Because of how well his shoots I am now going to have an upper made for me in .204 also by the same guy.

Rus

What I really want is a whole bunch of experience with an AR in .204 to pass along! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Yah, I have been in contact with Mike. One of those Shilen .204 bbls has me salivating.

I know I should probably start with the .223, but I'm really starting to love the .204.

The .204 has become my go to rifle in a bolt, why wouldn't it be the same in an AR?

HI , Nimrod...my HDR is my fantasy gun . I hadn't been into the shooting for some time , mostly bowhunting . When the .204 came out , my ears perked up and I was very interested but waited for time to pass to see how it all shook out . At the same time I saw these interesting reviews of ARs that had incredable accracy . Well , when the money came to my hand ......I did reserch here and decided on a Dtech rifle . I have four shots of five at two hundred yards you can cover with a dime , three half lapping each other . This kind of platform was completely new to me , the first AR I shot was mine ....it is still a new feel and still getting used to it. ....but I wouldn't change to a .223 . The .223 is a great round and my son has one and the lower purchase price for ammo is attractive , but I am too satisfied to look for "greener grass" . My only other center fire was a .222 and when I sold it , I said it would take something simular and special for me to go back to high powers .....the .204 is it.. and like every one here , their favorite gun just "FEELS GOOD IN THEIR HANDS" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Well it's all over but the crying...

Just got off the phone with Mike and ordered my AR. Ended up going with the .204. I was still undecided when I called. Mike tells me he has built a lot of .204s now. Mine was the third this week. He SWAGS the bbl life at about 3000 rounds if I keep it around 3800-3900 fps and don't do anything stupid. The trade off is that I don't have an AR that I can pour through mil sur ammo with (yet) but I do have one bad A$$ coyote killin machine. It will be interesting to see if it likes the same loads that my CZ .204 does (BLC2 and 35gr Bergers). Anybody have any pet loads for a .204 AR? What are you using Spiderman?

Hopefully I can add a .223 upper before too long.

Man, I went all out on this thing. Translated - WAY over budget.

20" 1:12 Shilen bbl
Fluted
Norrell's moly-resin coating
Compensator
Tuned RR trigger (hey, at least I resisted adding the
Jewel. I was so proud of myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Hogue over molded hand guard
Sling swivel studs
Magpul trigger guard

It is now imperative I sell another rifle. Someone please buy the .22 lr I have posted on the classifieds and save me a brow beating from the wife!!)

Hello Guys
This is my first post and have much to learn about AR15 guns.
My interest in these guns have peaked just reading all of your post.I am and old bolt man and have plenty of them but would like to learn more about these autos.

Who is MIKE,does he have a web site??
Dtech is this a gun maker do they have a web site??

Thanks for helping with these newbie questions.
Griz

I've had one for over a year and my only problem is wondering how to reduce the weight for a normal carry rifle. Mine has a Douglas XX match bull barrel.. The barrel maker suggested that 22" is the minimum length for optimal accuracy.

After getting it, I realized that I would have to start reloading all winter to build up enough 'extra' ammo to go shoot PDs in the summer... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm still working up loads for it...

My best advice: Load it up, break in the barrel responsibly, and enjoy some fantastic shooting... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Mike is the owner of DTech. A maker of custom ARs. His work is highly regarded by most here.

I hope I don't need a 22" bbl, cuz that's not what I ordered. I would think a 20 would be fine. What are you using Spiderman?

Yah, I won't be using mine on the dog town. Yotes and the occassional crow or woodchuck. Not only would I have to spend the entire summer on the reloading bench, I'd probably burn my bbl out pretty fast on a dog town.

Nimrod.....I have yet to reload a round for my rifle but will start this weekend . I am going to start with some info from the .204ruger web site and some recomendations from others here....I am not going pass on info that is not first hand ( this is serious buisness and needs to be appoched with good resoning) all of the info I recieved is first hand and much appreciated....I would just feel better if some of the others with the data and more experience would give you the direction they gave to me . I reloaded many years ago and need to go back to school before I am confident with my own work and before recomendations to others.
My rifle is .204 , 23 inches of barrel ,comped (this added another 3/4 inch) I have only shot factory loads so far and have 35 gr bergers waiting with h322 to go for power. I am not interested for max loads at all but the most accurate and least pressure to get the speed needed for the best accuracy . The barrel is fluted , this infront of and behind the gas port , so a lot of the extra weight has been taken off . I have seen many with only the front portion fluted . My gun has shot very well with all of the loads so far but better with some.......it really likes the remmy vmax . So far I have tried Hornady's all weights , Remmys all weights ,Federals , HMS in 40 bergers . I have 35 and 40 bergers to load with as coyote hunting is going to be my main focus and I am just one of these people who likes to shoot the same load all of the time at targets ,varmints , and hunting.....no changes to think about when taking shots.....SM

Spiderman, I have been reloading for my .204 bolt gun for a couple years now. I am intimately familiar with the round. FWIW, H322, BLC2, and Varget gave me my best results with the 30gr Berger. You're on the right track.

I mostly wanted to know the length of your barrel. Old Turtle had me worried when he said that 22" was the min length for optimal accuracy.

So, I'm guessing that you have the 20" Shilen barrel with the compensator added. Is that right? If so, it would seem that 20 3/4 is just right for optimal accuracy - based on your groups. I hope this is the case, bc that is the exact same barrel I ordered. Did you go with a 1:12 twist?

Barrel length does not really effect accuracy but it will speed of bullet.Go to Bullberry webpage and read their info on barrel length with the .204 it will tell you what to expect. I went with the 22 inch barrel in my .20 Tactical that is on order from DTECH.

I'm not interested in eeking out the last bit of speed. In fact, I will be fine with 3800-3850. No sense in adding wear and tear to the bbl.

Accuracy is my primary concern.

Hopefully the 20" bbl will be a nice compromise between speed and fast handeling.

I hope anyway, gosh now I'm wondering if I should call Mike back and see if I can switch it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

You missed in my previous post........23 inches of barrel......and then the comp....I made my decision from the bullberry web page......and less noise . I like some weight in my non triger hand for steady holding. My son's gun has a 20 inch barrel,fluted , by Dtech and it is amazing the difference four iches of barrel makes in how it feels and points...his seems a lot faster to move and lighter in the hand . .. .. but I got mine to shoot off the shooting sticks and bench and not too much off hand . SM

Back