NEF .223 owners, Best Load?

MPFD

I just bought a NEF handi in a .223, and would like to here from other .223 owners on what hand loads they have had the best accuracy with?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Because of the individuality of different rifles even from the same company a best load for one may not be a best load from your rifle. I'm always loathe to pass on my loads that I've worked up for a rifle, especially if it exceeds a manual's recommended loads.

You might go over to Beartooth Bullets forum and look under their loadswap section. They have some excellent loads for the 223.

Better yet go thru several manuals and do some experimenting starting well under published max loads and work up your own loads. Often a load for one 50 grain bullet will not be near as accurate as that same load for a 50 grain bullet from a different bullet maker.

I've seen two identical rifles that wouldn't shoot the same load and same bullet well. It's funny how individual rifles can be.

I shoot 40 gr. v-max in front of 27.5 grs. of Accurate 2460 with CCI small rifle primers. It shoots under an inch but I know it could be better.

MPFD

heres two to get you started
21gr imr 4198 40gr vmax cci400 primer 2.160 oal
26gr varget 50gr nosler bt cci400 primer 2.261 oal
this is my ultras favorite load .431 at 100 yds
best of luck

flitz

20 grains IMR 4198

Hornady 55gr SPSX Bullet

I seat the bullets out to touch the rifling. In mine...thats way out there too. Shoots good though.

Blackhills blue box 68gr heavy hollow point. They work great in about anything. Matter fact i think i have 1,000 rnds of it stashed...ha, glad i saw this post.

Welcome to the board BELTFEDMC! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Happiness is a belt fed weapon!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jack

24.5 grains of W748 behind a 52 grain sierra match bullet, with small rifle magnum primers does the trick in my rifle, always has ever since I worked up to it. No telling what may or may not work in your particular application...they all seem to like something different.

I went with 50 gr. Sierra Varminteer spitzer, with 26 gr. Varget. Haven't got a chance to shoot them yet but I did shoot some 50 v-max with 26 grains varget, before I reloaded my combo. Did OK, I only had 9 of them so I didn't really get to do alot of research.
I'm not a Sierra fan, I really wish I would have spent the money for the Hornady's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Last edited:
These can be very tricky rifles or you may get one that shoots good out of the box. Mine has been a pain, but it likes plain old 50 grain Hornady Spire Points in front of 27.5 grains of Varget for 3200 fps. It does fair with any flat-based bullet, but will not shoot the fancy boattails worth a damn and does not like the light bullets either. 50 and 55 grainers in Hornady and Sierra work well.

Try some VMax bullets, with H335. We shoot them in the 40 grain version, but have tried the 50 and 55 with very good accuracy. We use the Fed.205M primers and mostly Federal cases. The VMax bullets are very effective on varmints and normally quite accurate.

Out of our Savages, the little 40 grain bullet will group 3 shots under 1/3 inch at 100 yards, with neck sized fireformed cases. However, if the throat in your gun is long, you may have better accuracy with the longer 50 or 55 grain bullets.

hello...i would think varget is good for your powder...if your hunting coyote's the 50 grain sierra spitzer you have will probably do fine...i prefer 55 grain soft point's in both sierra & hornady..my guess would be a 55 grainer & 24-26 grains of varget will probably produce a minute of coyote round...

This is actually my PD rig, I'm gonna give it a try and if I can't make it work, It will go to the show. I really wanted a stevens savage, but I don't think the little thin barrel will hold up to the amount of shots I wanna put throught it in a day. I really want an AR, but I'm sure I'll be finishing up paying for college before my wife will let me spend that kinda jack.

Back