Bushnell, Simmons, scope for .223

TNTChunter

I'm looking for a scope to go on my M77 Target .223, this will be used for shooting and hunting out to 300 yrds. I'm looking for something like a 6-24x40mm with mildot. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on either brand, or any other brand. All of my current scopes are Nikons, and Leupolds but I just don't have the funds for that right now any suggestions?

At the bottom end of the price range the 6 by 24 BSA's do a pretty good job for under a hundred bucks. Got one with the mil dot illuminated reticle on a 243 and it's done just fine.

Of the Simmons I like the AETEC models the best, but a 4.5 by 14 is the biggest they make with the aspheric lens system. There are just over 200 bucks.

Here's the way my 243 is set up.

700vls.jpg

Got to say that more money does buy better optics, but there are some inexpensive scopes on the market that will keep you shooting til there's enough in the gun kitty to go with them.

I've always felt that it's better to be shooting than sitting til you can afford the best.

I have a Simmons AETEC which has been a great scope for the $ but the crosshairs are thick - It has taken hits, recoil, and rain. The new AETEC I know nothing about. My Bushnell 6-18 Trophy has worked ok and is now advertised for $180, I paid over $200 several yr ago. It always works but never impresses.

you might also want to take a look at the mueller line of scopes. I picked up a 4.5-14 for my 223 tikka and am pretty impressed with it for $115.00

Bob hit it on the noggin, for the money BSA are really nice. I have one on my Howa .1500 in .308 it is the 4X16X40 contender and I love it and have made some real great shots with it. I zeroed it for the first time 4 years ago and haven't touched it since it has been awesome. For 90$ you can't go wrong.

Back