Coyote Dog

WyomingLawDog

Any help I can get is appreciated, I am looking to get a dog to use for coyote hunting. I was wondering if anyone has information on how to train dogs to coyote hunt. Are there only certain breeds that work for coyote hunting. I know several people here in Casper Wyoming that use dogs but will not drop any secrets on how to train a coyote dog, I guess they are scared I will take all there coyote if I figure out how to train a dog to coyote hunt. Or is it better to buy I trained dog already, but I don't know what a trained coyote dog would cost. All I know at this point is there are a lot of coyotes around me and the people that hunt with dogs are getting there fare share of coyotes, I would like to be in there position next and that is why I guess they will not give me any secrets. So I don't know what type of dogs to use, how to train the dog or if I should buy a trained one already, if the price is affordable. Thanks for any help anyone can give me. I seen that some Mountain Cure pups for $400, I don't have a problem paying that much from a good blood line, The problem for me is how to train them into the finished product (good coyote dog, I have no knowledge on how to train the dog.

Thanks for the past reply Mike, I will do some searching and if I have any questions, I will ask you.

lawdog here is a link to my site.

http://p104.ezboard.com/btesboard68150

There are many on there that run hounds. I would say you need to buy a good decent started hound with maybe a younger one. Dont buy from just any one cause there are alot of dog dealers out there. You also need a good tracker and a tracking collar for every hound. Do not get just one hound. Coyote hounds are pack hounds and most need another to run good plus that would help save your hound from aggrasive yotes!!

Let us know how you come out!!

Vargy

I got a litter on the way and I ain't charging even close to $400. However, we have already had this discussion once on this board. The farther one get's from the great state of Tennessee,(especially Cumberland County) the more expensive the Mountain Curs get that come from here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Both the Original Mountain Cur and Kemmer Cur were started right here in this town. Both come from the same line of dogs. All were originated out of Dewey Ledbetter's original stock.

BTW, I already have nine pups spoken for, so I do not have any for sale.

Last edited:
Are there any pens out there? We run dogs in enclosures during the off season, gives a real good idea on whether they are gonna jump, run, turn back or whatever. And, it is a better way to harden them down than trying to road run them.

Good luck...running hounds is a blast.

Quote:
Are there any pens out there? We run dogs in enclosures during the off season, gives a real good idea on whether they are gonna jump, run, turn back or whatever. And, it is a better way to harden them down than trying to road run them.

Good luck...running hounds is a blast.

I think it would be really hard to run yote with hounds here in the west it is a totally different game than you have back east. The dogs used here are either Decoy dogs which I think is what Law Dog is looking for or sight hounds. If you put a scent hound on a yote here you would be in for a long hike.

I live on OR high desert and you could run the legs off a scent hound.I use decoy dogs and calling with good results.I run cats with a Walker,and a Blue Tick hound,but we spot a track first, this is big country.

Back