Krieger vs Criterion Barrels

Jack Roberts

Moderator - Deceased
There has been some misinformation going around about Krieger and Criterion barrels. A recent article in the VHA magazine "Varmint Hunter" by Steve Timm is the source of some of it.

Now don't blame Steve as I am sure he was just quoting the specifications Weatherby gave him. Steves article "The 2002 VHA Jamboree Weatherby/Nosler Auction Rifle" says "The 26-inch Krieger Criterion stainless steel barrel is button rifled, hand lapped, and terminates with an 11-degree target crown." Steves other article, "The 2001 VHA Jamboree Weatherby/Nosler Auction Rifle" also refers to a "Krieger Criterion" barrel.

This is not correct because Krieger and Criterion are totally different companies. They have separate plants. Criterion makes button rifled barrels, Krieger makes only cut rifled barrels. The reason for the confusion is that the same person owns both companies. However they are two separate companies. To further confuse things, you can order a Weatherby from the custom shop with a Krieger cut rifled barrel. So the Weatherby custom shop is using both Krieger and Criterion barrels and both companies, although separate, are owned by the same person.

I had a long talk with Krieger on the phone today and this is how they explained it to me.

Jack

Sorry guys.

Sure, Kreiger builds the Criterion. I am also aware that the standard Kreiger is a cut-rifled barrel. Obviously, the Kreiger is the custom line, while the Criterion (I guess) is more of an OEM product.

With that said, the two Criterion barrels I shot were wonderful barrels. Both very much at peace, stacking groups with totally different loads practically on top of each other. Frankly, they shot on a par with any of the custom barrels I have ever used.

I was fighting the heavy Weatherby triggers the whole way (said this in the articles, too) and it is totally a credit to to the Criterion barrels that the rifles shot so well.

Anyway, I totally apologize for any confusion. I knew the difference, but apparently wasn't clear enough.

By the way, I was so happy with the Criterion barrels that my next rifle will have a Kreiger barrel. Gordy Gritters (Pella, Iowa accuracy gunsmith) will be building it. It will be a three-contour in a McMillan Classic stock.

I haven't decided on the cartridge yet and have both long and short actions on hand. Maybe .22-250 Ackley, .240 Weatherby, .25-06 Ackley.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Steve

Steve
You did not read my post very well.

As for your new rifle; I built a 22-250AI with a 9" twist Krieger 2 years ago. I have not shot it much but have been pleased with what I have shot. I was planning on shooting the 80gr JLK VLD bullets but the 77 Sierras shoot better. Every barrel has its favorite!

Jack

Jack,

I have the "Order Authentication" on both rifles on Weatherby's letterhead.

They both read identically and I'll type it exactly as received:

Barrel length/Contour: Kreiger 26", #4 contour, 11 degree concave target crown, .825 muzzle.

Barrel material/finish: 410 stainless, button rifling, cryogenic treated, hand-lapped, fluted w/black oxide in flutes.

Nowhere, absoutely nowhere, in my specs does Weatherby say Criterion. The Weatherby catalogue says that the Mark V Super Varmintmaster comes with a "Criterion by Kreiger."

The fact that the authentication identified the barrels as button-rifled told me that they were Criterion barrels. Frankly, if I had to go by the stuff Weatherby sent me I would have really screwed up. They sent me more info than most companies, granted, but the barrel information was a little crazy.

Anyway, I truly regret any confusion and I never, ever meant to mislead. I pride myself on total honesty and correctness in my writing and if I confused even one person, I've failed - at least a little.

Man, if the OEM Criterons are this good, I'm really looking forward to the full Kreiger.

Jason,

OK, buddy. One vote for .25-06 Ackley.

Any other opinions? Don't be shy.

Steve

Steve
I think Weatherby is trying to take advantage of the Krieger name for the Criterion barrels. Although from your reports the Criterions are great also.

The only connection between Krieger and Criterion is that they are owned by the same person. Maybe this guy knows how to buy quality barrel makers?

Weatherby is wrong to call any button rifled barrel a Krieger. Krieger, as of this afternoon, has never made a button rifled barrel, and again, as of this afternoon, has no plans to.

I know it is hard to remember, but the correct spelling for Krieger is -ie-. You did have it right in your articles Steve.

Jack

I don't mean to pick on anybody about the spelling, it is one of the hardest words to spell I have encountered. I have probably spelled it wrong more than right and I have been buying their barrels for over 15 years. But I double checked tonight and want to steer all to the proper spelling so you can correct me when I get it wrong tomorrow.

Again, Jack

Jack,
Your post are most informative, and we're not going to hang you on spelling. I've wanted to try a Krieger barrel, on a future project. Steve, as for caliber choice, how about a nice small walking varmint rig in the 250 Savage Improved. I've been thinking about this one myself. Only my application would be in a light weight rifle, for Whitetails here in Pa. I currently use a 25-06 Rem. I picked up a Remington Classic last year in 250 Savage. I love it to death. I had a model 99 in that caliber when I was a boy, and forgot how well it worked, after I sold it to buy my first 25-06. That is one rifle I wish I would have kept. Live and learn. I would imagine, you could duplicate or surpass .257 Roberts ballistics, with the .250AI, and I think it would make either a nice varmint rig, shooting 75 grainers, or with 1-10 twist, shoot 100gr spitzers for deer. Just a thought.

Steve ,

Go with the 25-06AI, it will truely bre interesting to see if a 75 gr. Sierra BTHP reach 4000 fps.
I shoot a standard 25-06 and with a 24" barrel can push the 75 gr.ers @ 3674 over 57.5 grs. of H-4350. they also group sub MOA.

Sean

Sorry about the spelling. My mistake.

Mr. Krieger (John?) gave a two-hour symposium at the Varmint Hunters Jamboree a couple of years ago. He is a very nice guy and really impressed of me with his knowledge of barrels, steels and rifling techniques. I was also able to spend some quality time with him after his presentation and it was very enlightening.

He truly believes in cryogenically treating the steel before it is worked and cryoing it after the barrel is finished. Hey, he IS the expert and his barrels shoot, so he is probably right.

I never heard of Criterion before Weatherby started using "Criterion by Krieger." I wonder if Krieger bought another barrel company or if he started the button-rifled plant on his own.

By the way, Mr Krieger was not the type to say that his was the only way. Yes, he liked cut-rifled barrels, but he freely admitted that a button-rifled barrel, if done with the same care, would also shoot very well.

I did a three-part article on building custom rifles a few years ago (like 24,000 words in total). One section was devoted almost entirely to barrels.

In researching for the article, I talked to every one of the major custom barrel makers (Hart, Schneider, Lilja, Krieger, Shilen, Douglas, Pac-Nor). All of them were very up front, saying that the quality of the deep-hole drilling and finish of the primary hole plays a key role in the making of a good barrel. Interesting.

To a man, they said that if they could figure out what happened when they made a "hummer" and what happened when they made a bad barrel, they would own the market. Sometimes, magic happens and that's why they are so fascinated with the barrel arena.

OK - 2 votes for .25-06 Ackley
1 vote for .250 Ackley

Any more votes for Steve's next feature article rifle? C'mon, don't be shy.

Steve

Quote "Any more votes for Steve's next feature article rifle? C'mon, don't be shy."

How about a classic rifle. We have left the glory days of custom rifle building and entered a world of synthetics and gaps. Lets see you build a good shooting, tight fitting, light weight rifle using actual blueing and wood and forgo the plastic, huge scoped mosters that are the rave of today?

Spelling, heck we all have problems every so often, my spelling at times is bad, my wife the teacher gets me all the time...

Steve, you have your hands full with Jack & DAA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Boy look out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Steve Timm,
I know that you have heard of the 6mm International, and how they formed the chamber by running a 6mm Remington reamer in there "Part way". The case was a .250 Savage necked down to 6mm. After fire forming, the case came out looking exactly like a 6mm Remington "short". Now here is MY idea. Begin with a Krieger "Criterion" barrel in .25 caliber. Now take a .257 Ackley reamer and form a chamber of .250 "Savage improved" length. You would simply run the .257 Ackley reamer in there "part way". The parent case would be a .250 Savage. After fire forming, you would have a case that looked exactly like a short .257 Ackley. I believe that this new cartrige would work, and I do not believe that anyone has tried it yet. I was going to build one once, but let it fall by the wayside. I was going to call the new cartrige the .257 CRONK. I am just joking about using a Krieger Criterion barrel, but completely serious about the new wildcat. I am not absolutely certain that a .250 Savage case would stretch enough to work without losing a few rounds which crack though. Anyway, you have my brainstorm in print now.

Steve, what kind of duty do have in mind for the new rifle? I'm a .22-250AI fan, but I know you are too, and suspect you already have one configured similarly (3 contour, Classic stock). Anyway, it would help me in casting my vote to know whatcha got in mind for this new rig.

- DAA

Steve
Of the three you mentioned, my vote goes to the 240 Weatherby, with a zero freebore.

BUT what might get me to the magazine stand a little faster is something on my new "favorites".
The little 17, 19, and 20 cals.

If I could "assign" your next article I would want you to write about the 20-223, 20-223AI.

Edit: Steve, if you already have written about these, please tell me for what mag/issue. The only gun mag I get [outside of the Am. Hunter], is "The Accurate Rifle"

Tack, you'd like The Varmint Hunter. It's a quarterly, couple hundred pages thick. Good mix of technical and hunting articles. You'll find articles from some of the TAR guys - only the format in VHM tends to allow longer works.

I think a .240 Wby with no freebore would be a fine setup to work with too, by the way. One of my hunting buddies has a custom .257 Wby with zero freebore, slow twist, 30" Hart. Somebody mentioned 75's at 4,000 earlier - this rig spits out 100's at 4,000! All he uses it for is rock chucks, and the way it performs on a chuck colony is just a beautiful thing!

- DAA

Guys,

Sorry for being so slow to respond. I'm putting the final polish on the .280 Ackley article and I've been putting in a lot of long hours.

Anyway, I'm back. Taking a break from the article, but I'm back.

Article rifle: Yes I want a great article, but I'm spending personal money on it and I want to be left with something I truly will use.

Basically, the funds I make on the article will pay for the building of a custom rifle.

I surely have enough prairie dog rifles in three .223 Ackleys. Also, I have a 6-250 (article last year), so something along the lines of the 6 International is out. I have a really great .25-06 and a lovely .250 Ackley (other articles).

The .250 Ackley is a switch-barrel and the other barrel is a .22-250 Ackley. It is a hassle to switch, so it might be nice to have a stand-alone .22-250 Ackley.

Antelope and deer are my passion, but there is a lot of crossover between predator cartridges and the smaller big game.

Actually, I'm seriously leaning toward the .240 Weatherby with a decent throat or the .25-06 Ackley. Does this make sense?

Seems to me the .240 would zap coyotes wonderfully and still have the horsepower to kill the huge Montana antelope we harvest every year. Also, used in a careful manner, it would be just fine for the deer we kill annually in the Missouri Breaks (Jordan, MT).

The .25-06 Ackley would be another avenue - and it may actually be the best choice. The ballistics would be a little better than the .240, so this may be the way to go. I also have about 1,500 pieces of superb WW unfired .25-06 brass (not a small issue).

The negative about the .25-06 Ackley is I would have the added expense of fitting a fireform barrel to my fireform rifle, while I could use .240 Weatherby brass as-is.

Decisions. Decisions.

Oh, somebody asked me for the Varmint Hunter issues that the "Building a Custom Varmint Rifle" series appeared in. I looked them up and they appear in issues #23, #24 and #25 (July 1997, October 1997 and January 1998).

Some might be interested in my "Load Development" series and as long as the file is open, I'll give the issues for that. For "Load Development," check out issues #31, #32 and #33 (July 1999, October 1999 and January 2000). Anyway, the information is here, just in case any want to look at it.

Better get back to bending words. Bye for now.

Steve

Since you already have a .25-06AI, and because I'd really be interested to see it wrung out in a properly chambered custom, and because Tack needs some backup, I'll vote for the .240Wby.

They are all good interesting choices though. .25-06AI would be "just as good".

- DAA

Steve, I have been reading your articles in VHA with great interest for the past few years, I look forward to them every issue. My vote for your new rifle would be a 257 WSM in a 24 inch tube, I would think it should come very close to the 257 weatherby. It should work great on antelope and whitetails!

DAA,

I have a superb .25-06 Rem, but I don't have a .25-06 Ackley. Might be enough reason. Or a 240 Weatherby. Ughhhhhhhhh, I hate decisions.

zcatter,

The .257 WSM would be fine, but I only have actions with .473" bolt faces and the magazine (read that, feeding) would present a great problem.

I have a friend that built a .264 WSM on a Rem 700 short action. Finally gave up on the feeding and eventually bought a new Win M-70 in .300 WSM and rebarreled it.

I have absolutely NO inside information, but i'd be willing to bet there will be a .257 WSM. And soon.

It's a natural.

Oh, by the way, I called Gordy Gritters this morning (he was working on the 4th). I asked him if he had a best-quality reamer for either .25-06 Ackley or .240 Weatherby.

Regrettably, he didn't have either. I was hoping he would have one of them as that would help me make my mind up.

Guess I'll have to add the price of the reamer (about $150) to the rifle. The good news is we are free to specify minimum specs, .003 neck clearance and a 1½° leade angle.

Best, Steve

Steve

Back