Hunting Fort Sill/ Lawton OK.

Blaze

Got my return assignment from Korea to Fort Sill, OK. I was there once in 1990 and hoped I'd never have to go back (Boot Camp). As an adult it wouldn't have been my first choice either but I am pretty open minded and might just be headed for a diamond in the rough.

Does anyone call in this general area? My inital thought is there should be no reason not to have a healthy coyote/bobcat population and plenty of space to call on base at least.

Robert

Should be lots of critters in and around there, since I don't get down that way to much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Seriously, it should provide lots of targets for you.

I spent some time their 7 years ago and had a couple of friends who were really big hunters one of them had shot a 40lb Tom from a tree stand while deer hunting and had a full body mount done. So I can tell you there are cats there. In fact he is a retired LT Colenel(sp) and he might have even got it on post.

I was in FT. Sill at that same time Sept.-Dec. 1990 for basic training then back again from 92 to 93. Never did any hunting there though. I couldn't wait to leave the place, big difference from Idaho.

Are you kidding me??? That is where I hopefully will retire. There is a ton of critters in that area. The out skirts of the Wichita Mountains off of the Preserve has Elk, Hogs, Deer, Coyotes and a ton of BobCats. The Waterfowl hunting is AWESOME during the second season. Hackberry Flats Southwest of Lawton has some good hunting opputunities also and is public land..

Really, in my opinion you can't beat SW Oklahoma for a guy that likes to hunt it all. You can also hunt on the base which is a plus. By the way, the quail hunting has been unbelievable the last couple of years. I usually head that way to Duck/Goose hunt with a friend that lives in the area.

Good luck.

Hey thanks for the heads up! I always understood assignments are what you make of them but was a little down when this became my "Only option" according to my assignment branch. Now I am getting a little excited about it.

IdahoSawtooth, that's pretty funmy because I spent my entire youth growing up in the panhandle of Idaho (The real Idaho not that southern stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )and I felt the same way. Perhaps that accounts for my initial kneejerk reaction? My Dad who still lives in Orofino, Idaho had the same "Yuck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif reaction. He was Air Force and spent time just north in Kansas and Omaha. I got an email back from him about two hours after his initial response and the general theme was, "Now hold on a minute son this might be a lot better than we think".

Based on what you all have said I think I am going to like it. I hope I can find a dedicated partner there like the one I had in Arizona. That is if a deployment isn't in the close unknown future that lies ahead.

Thanks all the day is brighter now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Blaze

Well, not everyone can be an Okie. It takes smarts, the proper attitude, an enthusiam for life, and darn good looks.

We are always welcoming these types of people, and their husbands.

Seriously, it is the best state in the union for hunting, fishing, and whatever else you may want to do. Remember though, it is the buckle of the bible belt, but some of us don't wear no pants. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Blaze,
I grew up right outside the base near Lake Lawtonka and was a biologist on the base for almost 3 years.

It's a great place, I killed a ton of coyotes on there, but (your going to hate this) that was my job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I went to work for ODWC Comanche County was my first assignment. Ft. Sill will provide you with lots of hunting and fishing opportunities. You might be able to find some private land off base to predator hunt on especially south of Lawton. May be tough to find a place to hunt deer, elk or turkey on private land as most of the good stuff is leased up. However, you can hunt all of that on base. Good luck.

i was at ft. sill from october to november of this year. just from being out in the field i can tell you there is alot of wildlife there. i didn't hunt out there because i left my hunting gear back in PA (i am still kicking my own a** for not bringing anything with me) on post there are deer and elk. as well as hogs, coyotes, turkey, quail, dove, and bobcats. i was out on the land nav course and i saw real fresh hog, deer, and coyote tracks. saw one hog while driving along one of the roads leading out to the training areas. i saw a ton of deer right on the cantonment area as well as out on the training areas. the coyote seem to be everywhere. we were doing night ops and it sounded like they were trying to overrun us. all in all, it seemed like a pretty sweet spot to hunt most anything. a buddy of mine went out for deer outside of the wichita nature conservation area and said the deer were everywhere.

"Couldn't wait to get out of there"?

WoW! I guess it is how you look at things. Thanks

Soreloser, J, Holly, and MikeG.

Those guys were starting to make me feel bad. I grew up west of Ft. Still. Its has always been good hunting. All the SW tribes hunting there the Kiowa, Comanche, Cheynne among others. Just got to know when to stay out of the heat. Threewolves

that is where i was raised now just 110 miles east. the base offers some of the best hunting in the area i have saw some huge bull elk .there are some places left to go around there if you get tired of the base give me a shout take you to some private stuff.east my place or west buddies place.deer and turkey will be hard to come by all leased and all private.that is probaly the worst part about ok is it is mostly private, and leases are getting really expensive for the working man.and stay away from the golden dragon on ftsill blvd before i was a married man i blew alot of money there but the view was nice./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I grew up 20 miles from Ft Sill and hunted all over OK in my younger years. I have been away a while but keep my lifetime license to hunt there with my cousins. My folks still attend church service on post at Sill.

You may want to check out the area WMA's as many in Oklahoma are really good:

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/wmas.htm

Some of my favorite places:

Black Kettle quail hunting. Not real close since it is Northwest versus Southwest but awesome quail, deer and varmints.

Dove hunting around Walters and the Red River.

Crow hunting at Fort Cobb Lake.

Deer hunting near McCalister.

Back