Radios

FDHoundman

Just wondering what you guys use for radios when you're running dogs.
We have been using some Motorola Distance DPS radios we got a few years ago, but they don't make them anymore.
Those small personal radio are no where near as powerful.

We use a radio that has two types of frequencies. The one is called the FRC family radio channels? The other is GRC or General radio channels. FRC can only use .5 watts of power. The GRC use up to 5 watts of power. The more power you have the farther you can transmit. Get the radio that offers the 2 types of channels. You are supposed to get a FCC license for the GRC type radios. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The extra power is well worth it.

We use fm radio's they work great but like above you are supposed to have a fcc license but we own our own private channel so we have never had any problems.

fwhoundman we use c.b.(civilian band) radios when we are
searching for a track in the a.m. in the trucks. They
can be good for 10+ miles if you have the right set up.
Once we find a track and start a chase we switch to the
F.R.S.(family radio servce) radios they seem to be good
for 1 maybe 2 concession blocks at the most.If you can
get your group together invest in the new style
G.M.R.S/F.R.S channels 1-14 FRS .5 watts, channels 15-22 about 2-watts depending on manufacturer. Use the FRS when
you guys are close together and the G.M.R.S. for up to
10-12 miles. With G.M.R.S.(government radio service)
you really shouldn't need the C.B's.

P.S. The F.R.S. will save battery life when your closer
together. Choose an FRS channel and a GMRS channel
together so everyone knows them. Hope this helps
alittle.

We have heard of guys using marine band radios. Do they reach out pretty good? Can you get one with a jack for an ear bud?

Hi
We use the hand held 2 way radios and CB's but there not very good. Where we hunt it's rough country and we like something that will talk a long ways but I don't know anything about radios. Any help would be appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

GMRS will work better than hand held CB's with rubber duck antennaes just because of the frequency...the CB's are 11 meter and need a large antennae to be efficient...if the CB has an old style telescoping antennae it will be far my effective than one with the rubber duck antennaes. The GMRS (requires a few $'s and filling out a form to the FCC for a license) operate at higher frequencies (70 CM, sort of) than CB and higher powers than FRS and work with small antennaes because their frequency is higher and the wavelength is short.

I have several models, but in a heads up for long range my Motorola SX 700 talks further and louder than my Midland GXT 600.

If you really want long range, then get a Ham Radio license....the first level, Technician is relatively easy...mainly wrote memorization of regulations. With the Ham you may be able to use repeaters and get up to 25 miles or so of range dependent upon conditions (you're never gonna "get out" if you are in the bottom of a deep ravine).

Also....neither the FRS or GMRS will work well inside the cab of a truck...maybe a mile at best. If you're talking truck to truck...then a mobile CB mounted in the truck is the best deal! But, man-to-man on a handheld I think the GMRS will do you best!

We talk to our boys on 4 wheelers here at home 2 miles or so away with the GMRS and we aren't direct line-of-sight...there is a bit of a rise between us. Futher than that, you need to be line-of-sight...I easily talk to the marina about 3-4 miles away that is a clear line-of-sight with plenty of power to spare.

Hope this helps.

We all use marine radios. Our truck radios can usally get out 15 to 20 miles easy. Just friday night heading down in Mo i was talking 30 miles on the money with my truck.
Most the time my hand helds get out 5 to 7 miles easy!! No skip at all like on cb radios.

Vargy

Like Vargy we use marine radios too. Normal range around here is 15-20 miles. I talked good from mobile to base, 38 miles one day, and another day I talked mobile to base 42 miles away, but then dropped back down the hill and couldn't talk anymore. Marines run about $100-160 depending on which model you get. They all are 25 watts so it doesn't really matter. You have to be careful what channel you use, several are for coast guard and emergency use only. But there are a few public use channels too.
Natalbany mentioned HAM radios. If you do want range the ham radio is the safest way to go after you get your license. Because I fear soon the FCC will crack down on the use of Marine radios, and we'll all be back to CB's. One other option is frequency called MURS channels. They run the 151 mhz and 154 mhz ranges. They are public use frequencies, there are about 6 of them. Multi-Use Radio Systems. But the deal is you have to use only 2 watts. But in FM mode those 2 watts will travel quite a ways in open country. So there are several options availible. Good luck. MOyotehunter

MO if you want more power look at the Yaesu radios they are a programable truck mount, with up to 50 watts or as low as 5 watts if you look hard you can get em for $140

we use the yeasu handhelds when we are out of the trucks or need to walk in. we use icom truck mounts. you can get ham band marine band and some others to.

when we're hunting we use the marine band radios. plenty of range and always clear. i have an older unit made my shakespear but it's on the fritz. can anyone suggest a good marine band for under $200?

Live trap the Yaesu is around 140 the uniden solara is around 120 most of our group has the solara and it works very well

Yeah I have an Icom ham radio programmed to use the marine frequencies. 65watt on high, but I just use the 25 watt setting instead. Only when I have to, do I bump it up on high. I don't have any trouble with range. With the marines what causes range reduction is placement of the antenna and type of antenna. Since it is VHF, so signal is line-of-sight, the higher your antenna on your truck the farther you'll reach out. I have a Wilson mag mounted antenna on top of my truck. I think they are the best I have seen. Kinda expensive, but worth the money. In quality and workmanship I don't think you can beat a Wilson antenna.

Uniden Solaras are your cheapest bet for marine radios, normally like WICoyote said around $120.
See ya, MOyotehunter

Yea MO is right the Wilson is the best IMO. Two of our group have the solara one with a Nexrad mag mount and one with the Wilson both on the top of a full size Chevy the Wilson blows all else away.

My Dad was just at the local Gander Mtn last weekend and grabed a Solara for 119.99 when he got to the check out it rang up 89.99 LUCKY SOB

Back