Decoy Dog????

stormking

I ran across a pic last night on here somewhere of a guy I believe he was in MT that posted some pics of his decoy dog with some coyotes. The dog sure looked like a Choc. Lab.

Several of my friends have suggested I try my lab, but I kinda thought it wouldn't be the "right" thing to do. I have no doubts I could train him to work, but I'm a little concerned this type of work goes completely against a lab's nature as far as "mixin' it up with the yotes". (I'm not sure if this is common or not???)

He's a heck of a waterdog, but the coyote huntin out here's a LOT better than the waterfowling.

I definitely like to hear your thoughts.

I think your talking about Mike Granger and Bubba. Bubba is a Kemmer stock Mtn. Cur. But I think there are guys that use labs.

Mike,

I really wanted to hear your thoughts on using Labs for this purpose. Do you need a dog with some fight, or just smarts, or both????

I know all about Bubba and I've hunted coons back in KS over a Curdog as a kid (finest hound I ever trailed). The post I saw was another guy from MT and he was using a Choc Lab.

One guy out here uses a little Border collie.She runs out and barks at the yotes then is half scared and comes running back.The yotes follow ,and with alittle luck, get shot.If your lab has to much fight,he may run the coyotes off.Have you had him out calling with you before?

if it is the pic i am thinking of it is in the predator hunting forum, in the LETS SEE YOUR PICTURES sub forum. i am not sure if this is the one you are talking about but it sure looks like a choc lab to me.. hope this helps

Joe,
I think that's the guy. Thanks.

DuaneatSSU,

Never taken him, I was worried of exactly the opposite. I think my dog would try to "play" with them. I was concerned about him getting "streatched out". I guess I forget how tough labs are. Jack is 7 and 75# of lean lab, I have never ever seen an agressive side of this dog towards anything. I'm guessing a properly trained decoy dog doesn't get in direct physicaly contact with the coyotes.

I think the getting stretched out part really depends upon when you hunt. Bubba and I hunt during the winter and he's only been attacked once. As you get into spring and summer, the coyotes will get much more aggressive and I would be very concerned about taking a lab out. Two coyotes can stretch a dog real quick. Bubba hates coyotes and doesn't run upto one wanting to play. If you can teach the lab that it isn't a fetching game, maybe he would work. Bottom line, labs aren't coyote dogs. It's like taking a knife to a gun fight, you might get lucky now and again but you'll always wish you had a gun!

I have to agree,if your lab has little fight and just wants to play,he could get in big trouble with coyote around a den.Coyotes with pups can be real bad.

Back