Unbelievable run today

FDHoundman

Put 2 dogs on a coyote we saw this morning at 8. One dog broke off early for some reason. For 5 hours this big male coyote ran from one block to the next, and only stopped to circle once. Every time we saw him he was 5 minutes in front of the dog and really wheeling.
I can't believe that a big yote like that would be so scared of 1 old hound. She really screams at em so maybe that was it.
But usually with one dog on em they stick around a little better.
Never got ahead of him to get a crack at em. He won't go far tonight after that run, so I'll get on em again in the morning.
Sometimes that's the way it goes.

LOL ... sounds like a good run ... No shooting though ??? are you just running or did you not get the shot ... Well i really hope you get back on them tomarrow ... good luck

What no dead coyote??? Everybody says we have it so easy how can they possibly get away!! We ran 2 different ones yesterday and didn't fire a shot either. Today the wind came up and blew out all the tracks and can't find a thing. Big storm on the way again. Oh boy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I took 1 long 300+ shot with the 22-250. More in agrivation then anything!
There was only 2 of us with one truck. Pretty tough going with a coyote with that attitude.
I'm hoping to go find him in the morning near where I left him. I'd be suprised if he went far after that run. Probably curled up waiting for Ole Missy to show up again tomorrow!
Yup, people think it so easy......

It froze in that night. No tracks at all the next morning. Raining like crazy today.
We'll catch up to him another time.
Hounds could use the rest.

I am just curious, when a yote runs from block to block do you already have permission from the land owners just in case or is it more like who cares. I dont want this to sound bad but in MN the hound hunters just dont seem to care if permission is given or not, if they see a yote on your property the dogs come out. again i dont want to insult anyone i just want to know how it works?

roosterslayer
I aint from Mn but i know many that are!!! Not all hound hunters are that way!!! maybe a few but not all. I have spent many hours knocking on doors. I aint saying that my hounds dont get on land that i dont have permision but i do make a attempt to ask first. In Iowa if i run hounds on land that i have got permision on and the yote goes across your land and i dont shoot or carry a fire arm or my hounds are not bothering you or your live stock you can not shoot my hounds!!
Most the times the yote dont spend much time in one spot so they are not there very long any ways!!

Vargy

We start the hounds where we have permission. After that, you can't control where the yote goes. We have alot of permission around, but we do have to knock on a door or two.
I've never had the dogs bother livestock. They just watch em run by!

Some days keeping ahead of the dogs and coyote,to get permission,is a full time job. There are times when it just doesnt happen, but we do all we can to ask before we hunt. We never drop hounds without permission. I dont know why anyone wouldn't ask, most folks are elated to hear that you want to "kill those damn things." "Kill em all" is our most common response, and a lot of land owners will call the neihbors for us and clear a whole block.lol

I just wanted to make sure, i don't have anything against houndsman at all. it's just in the area that i hunt i guess a few bad apples are around. At the time of my first response i kept this farm up north virgin fro this weekend, and found out the someone put there dogs out there without permission and it just rubbed me the wrong way. I apoligize if i affended anyone it was not my intentions.

By the way vargy, I myself would never shoot any persons hounds. There are much better and mature ways of dealing with this. Another question? when you run yotes with hounds does the hunter shoot the animal when the opportunity presents itself or is it up to the hounds. I would enjoy watching this sometime and see how it all works.

roosterslayer
There are many that do shoot and many that just love to run hounds. My self i have not shot a yote in over 6 years. I love watching my hounds do the work.
If they catch it they kill it and i let them chew the heck out of it cause they have just run thier butts off and derserve it.
If they dont catch it then it will be there the next time.
When i was shooting in front of hounds i was killing over 60 yotes a year easy.a couple years like that and it was starting to get hard to find one to run. This year i have seen many yotes around where i hunt!!
Most the time my hounds catch apro 20 yotes a year!!

Vargy

Back