1000yd 25-06!!

S'ville sniper

Very proud Of my Sako Finnbear L61r in 25-06. I went to Badlands Tactical Range, Grandfield ,Ok.,and shot my first 1000yarder. Very effective results, matter of fact I was keeping up with all those other guys and there finely tuned .308s. Probably pissed them off. I'm using Seirra 100 gr. match kings, Hodgden H-1000 powder. I'm most proud of my scope, my bushnell elite 3200 10x40 mil dot is a heck of a buy and after using my friends 700.00 luepold m3 I'll keep the extra 500.oo and put in something else. If you like shooting Long Range, go to snipercountry.com, Badlands as a link there, if your close to Ok. it's a blast to go there and shoot.

It is fun on those 1000 yard ranges.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

The 25-06 makes a better long range rifle than the 308.

You should try to find some 120gr match bullets. They make 120 hunting bullets so somebody may be making a 120 match. If you can find some, you will find they will work better at 1000.

The place where the 308 has the 25-06 beat is in barrel life. A 308 barrel will last about 5 times as long as a 25-06.

Good Shooting!

Jack

just curios jack you were talking about barrel life how may round in your opinion would start wearing a 25-06 barrel. That is what I shoot and I shoot a good bit experimenting with different types of rounds.

------------------
Don't miss!

I was really hoping someone with lots of 25-06 experience would jump in here as I have very little. The best I can do is make a guess by comparing it to the 243. It should be similar. The case is slightly larger as is the bore.

Shooting a 243 in competition, I wore out 5 stainless steel barrels in 4 years. I kept meticulous records of every round fired. The worst barrel started blowing up bullets at 850 rounds. The best one at 1175.

A barrel used for hunting should double that. For 2 reasons: You will shoot slower and therefore the barrel temperature will stay lower. You will most likely be using a slower twist, which is less likely to blow up bullets.

In all the 243 barrels I wore out, there was no loss in accuracy, even after they started blowing up bullets. From a cold barrel, they would shoot as tight a group as when new.

There has to be somebody here who has worn out some 25-06 barrels. Let's hear about it.

Jack

Jack , I was told average barrel life would be in the 5000-6000 rounds in the .25-06; shooting competion. I'll find out for sure, I probably will only shoot a 1000 rounds a year. Depends on how hot you load them too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jack I was wondering about those barrels of yours. What was the twist in them? Also what bullet were you shooting and how fast were they going?

I was just talking to my dad about how long your barrels lasted and we were wondering what made them go so fast. Thanks

:Nil
They were Krieger cut rifling barrels. Very popular with High Power match shooters. The cut rifling lasts longer than button rifling, (we think.)

I used an 8.5" twist, which is the slowest that will stabilize the 105 and 107 VLD bullets. I used the 105 Bergers till the first blow up, then switched to the 107 Sierras. The thicker jacket on the Sierras was good for another 2-300 rounds.

As for lower pressure loads to extend barrel life: I tried using 40,000 psi loads for 2 and 300 yards but the barrels lasted no longer.

My experience with the 243 was the same as all other 243 shooters. That is why everybody is now shooting either the 6.5-08 or a shortened 243 for long range competition now.

No serious shooter takes a 243 to the National Championships now because it probably will not make it though the week. David Tubb, who has won 9 National Championships, lost at least one for that reason. This past year he shot a shortened 243, which is called a 6XX or something similar, and is now the current National Champion.

As I said before; In a hunting type situation, you will get 2 or 3 times the barrel life. And unless shooting PDs or ground squirrels, most hunting rifles will not be worn out by shooting.

Jack

Back