Going on my first hunt with hounds this weekend!!!

jaspa

After looking for the last 4 or 5 yrs. I finally found someone that would take me hunting for coyotes with hounds. I have to drive 4 hrs. to get there but I think it will be worth it. Can't wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

good luck and have fun!! You ever get near Iowa look me up. I have taken a few first timers and they seem to really like it!!

Vargy

Holy cow thanks for all the invites fellas, now if I could just talk my wife into letting me take a 2 month vacation I would take everyone of you up on it. I have tree dogs and love hunting anything with a dog so I know I'm gonna love the runnin' dogs. Beagler I'm not sure other than in the Erie area. I have to call the guy tommorrow to get all the particulars. I met him thru my brother they duck hunt together a couple times a year. He told me they took 3rd place at Mosquito Creek this year. I think he said they have a pack of ten hounds. I am taking my camera and I will definately post pics sometime Sunday. I just hope running coyotes isn't as addicting as coon and squirrel hunting, but just in case it is I just happen to have a couple empty kennels!

Quote:
I just hope running coyotes isn't as addicting as coon and squirrel hunting, but just in case it is I just happen to have a couple empty kennels

I'll bet you anything whats going to happen next.. you're going to have a great time, the forecast for the weekend looks good. I bet you get addicted, especially if you have tree hounds already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I started runnin coon hounds with my buddy then I was exposed to runnin hounds now the only time I have a light on my head is when I am pickin up dogs after a long day and I can sleep at night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Coon huntin is a blast But IMO coyote hounds is where its at.

Finally getting a chance to update. Well it was a terrible weekend to run hounds. We did kill two coyotes but they were by chance encounters. We dropped the dogs on 3 different coyotes and they couldn't run any of them because of the crust, they just couldn't get any scent. But I did have a good time and did get to see a little of what it's all about. For the guy's that say hunting coyotes with hounds is easy I challenge any of them to go do it in knee deep snow and then tell me the same. I being a rookie to it had no snowshoes and thought I was gonna die, even the ones with shoes had a rough go of it. I'll just say easy wasn't a word that came to mind at the end of the day. Man did I sleep Saturday night. Sunday morn woke at 4:30 am. to 6" of new snow and still pounding it down looked for tracks but was in vain. Finally at 10:00 I threw in the towel and started the 4 hr. trip home. I will go back next winter and try again. To you guys that have hounds and the type of country to run coyotes I am truly JEALOUS!!

Hear ya on the snow, my bro unleashedfury and his bud were out with the dogs Saturday and had the same problems.
The crusty snow with wind blowin' the light stuff around on top.

jspa I use to be one of the guys that said hound hunting was cheating, man was I wrong! I could call more in round here but it is to dang much fun runnin hounds. We had the same conditions last weekend 2 feet of snow and no snowshoes for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Although the tracking was good, we killed 2 and ran 4 over all. It was a good weekend. I just got home with my new shoes, I may only need them 1 or 2 more times this year but I'm gonna havem for good now.

wicoyote if I go back up there I will have shoes. The first coyote we spotted was out in a field about 200 yds off the road, so when the guys showed up with the dogs the guy I was with wanted his 13 year old boy to take the guys out with the dogs and show them the track. Well being the gung ho rookie that I am I said no I'll take them. Man what a mistake, by the time I got aout there and back to the truck I was ready to die. The knee deep snow with the 3/4" crust on top was just killer. I said to the guy as he was in tears laughing at me, I said you like me don't you? I mean you have only known me a couple hours but you do like me right? He started looking a little concerned and said yeah I like you why. I said don't ever let me do that again! I was wasted for about 2 hours after that. My lungs hurt my legs ached I thought I was gonna throw up, it was not a good experience. I had a great time the rest of the weekend though.

jaspa
Glad you had a good time.
You ever get near iowa look me up and you can try iowa style!! we done have near the snow as up north!! LOL
I run alot of bare ground!!

Vargy

Vargy now thats what I'm talking about, bare ground. How do you get one started on bare ground? Do you ride around looking for one, free cast, or howl to locate one? The guys up there quit when the snow leaves. I would think it would be better when you can navagate the woods.

i do all the above. summer time i blow a siren some. I try and spot one some times but i also free cast alot and let them jump thier own game!!

Vargy

Jaspa,
I am usually part of the crew you ran with . I coach wrestling and was at regionals all weekend. We are runnin again this weekend if you are able to go. And I have extra shoes.lol

cutch I heard them talking about you. Would have liked to met you. Everyone was super nice and I have to say Beercan has got to be one of the funniest people I have ever met. I think it was Chip's house we went to afterwards for the fish fry, but anyway he was there telling stories of stuff he has done and also some jokes, man is that guy hilarious. Get him to tell you about the "scent blocker underwear", funny stuff. That guy needs to be on stage somewhere. Thanks for the invite but I am probably done for this winter, but I am definately coming next winter.

Back