A few pics of my yard!!

vargy49

we had a bad storm hit saturday and with bad ice and wind. Over 1 inch of ice with 30 to 40 mph winds.
Poles and lines and trees are down every where. I lost power yesterday morning. They are saying the power will be off over a week here and might be on by the middle of next week.
I have a gen running so i can have a little heater and one light and the puter running. I have a guy coming over after bit and going to wire it in the house so i can get my well and furnace going again.

Nancy was watching out the window and saw this one go down across my drive.

WTTGC-ice-12.JPG

ILLVF-ice-10.JPG

This is a fraction of what kind of mess that is here.

NBFFK-ice-4.JPG

This branch is hanging right over the top of my garage.

CJCUU-ice-6.JPG

This tree is cracked up the center about 7 ft long.
Its about 60 ft tall and if it comes apart will hit my house. We are going to try and drill the tree and run a long bolt through it and pin it back together. If it dont work i will have to hire a guy to take it down.
They are saying that there is 250,000 people with out powere here in iowa. Its going to be a long week.

Vargy

Man that's a mess and I don't envy you. I'm only about six hours south of you if you need someplace to stay till the power gets back up. I've got a big house and you and the family need heat before you all get sick as the cold weather isn't going to get better for a while.

OldTurtle
Thank You very much for the offer. This world needs more people like you!!! You can really tell who your friends are at bad times!!

Thanks again
Vargy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Sorry to see the mess, we had a bad ice storm here in 98 and were without power for two weeks. At least spring is pretty close. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Tough go there, Vargy. We had our service ripped from the side of our house, from iced tree limbs. I blame it all on coyotes. "They" once loosened up all of my truck lugnuts on one wheel, trying to dispatch me....Coyotes, no doubt.

I helped an electrician put on a new service to our house. We have relatives here now, they are worse off.

BTW, That forked limb over your garage. I see two coyote images[in the airspace, between the branch's] to the Left & Right of the center branch. Their muzzle's pointing skyward. Just more proof, if ya ask me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Never, leave your tire iron unattended-dogs

Last edited:
Sorry to see your mess. I was in your shoes last year. Tree just missed the house when it went down. Our tree grove around the yard is still not real safe to walk around in on a windy day. Lots of limbs hanging up there yet. Thank goodness for a generator. Don't forget you freezers if they are inside!!! We were out for 6 days last year. Gets awful quiet at night.I Did get caught up on lots of reading though. We do have 10-15 inches of new snow here in Minnesota so tommorrow the chase is on. Hang in ther Vargy, it can't get much worse and only better. At least so far everything missed your buildings and hounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thank You all!! I was one of the lucky ones and and got power on last night!! There are many and many people still with no power yet!!
On the way home tonight i seen 3 diff fleets of power company trucks driving down interstate 80. Looks like help is on the way!!
All i can say is these power companys really have thier hands full.
It takes a good person to do that kind of work!!
I was out of power omost 36 hours .People tend to take life for granted and really see some daylight when stuff like this happens!!

Vargy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Vargy I live just south of you about 25 miles. I lost power for about 8hrs on sat. Didn't have much to do so I got some reloading done via my new cat-eyes. I had some co-workers that are not going to have power until the end of the week. When I got into work today we had 25 line trucks parked in our lot ready to get fuel. Help is here and these guys are real troopers. I left work lastnight at 7:00pm and got to work this morning at 6:00am. They started to show up at 6:15 and were fueled up and gone by 6:30am. They are hard at it. If you want to get a hot shower and relax a while you and your family are more than welcome to come down to washington and get cleaned up. PM me if you want.

deaddogwalkin
Thank you for your offer!!
WE were one of the lucky ones and already got our power on. we were off over 30 hours.
I use to live in washington many years ago.
Do you know Kevin kelly down there? I know most of the martins to.

Vargy

Glad to hear you got you power back. We got ours last evening finally. Amazing how much damage a little ice and wind can do in no time. One of these days I'll get a generator, but might have to get the AR first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Running wires into your breaker box and mounting a plug out side the house. Shouldnt cost very much to do that !!
Then all you have to do is shut the main breaker off and plug in the gen.

Vargy

Back