9.3x62 scope recommendations

schloss

i just got my cz550 yesterday. it's a 9.3x62, and i'm trying to figure out what to scope it with.

i'm thinking of the leupold vx3 2.5-8, but i don't really want to spend that much on a scope right now. anybody used cabela's alaskan guide series? any other recommendations? i prefer 33mm objective (i'd go 40mm if i needed to), and want something in the 2-7 area.

As to a particular scope I don't know but I would want one with a reasonable amount of eye relief, the 9.3x62 is not a light weight as far as recoil is concerned. Joey S aka 308

The best scope for the money I own is one of the Simmons Compact AETEC 2.8 to 10's. It bright, clear and has a 44 foot field of view at low power.

I've two of them now and I've been a Leapold fan for a lot of years. There well under 200 bucks and absolutly a best buy for the money.

I have one on an 8mm Rem mag and on a Rem 280 Mountian rifle. No recoil related problems in two years and the optics are just excellent.

Your gonna really like that cz. I've got one set up with a Nikon Monarch 2-7 (11oz or so)(under 275$) On a set of Warne QR rings with a leupold 4 power as a back up. 286 grn nosler partitions are nice. Sightron makes one a --- I think its a blue sky or something like that in about 1.5 - 5 for about 350 that I'm thinking of putting on a 375. Good luck. oh by the way all of these have generous eye relief Denny

I have exactly that rifle, a CZ 550 FS, in 9.3x62.

It's no problem on recoil, about like a heavy loaded .30-06.

A fixed 4x makes PLENTY of sense to me, and that's what rides on mine currently; a 60s vintage El Paso Weaver K4 at that. It's in Talley QRs, and works beautifully.

I'd spend the extra $$$ on a QUALITY fixed 4x over a lesser quality variable for the CZ, easily. A FXII or Sightron SII, would be up there, as would a Nikon Monarch. If you have to have a variable, fret not about "extra eye relief" as it really isn't needed.

my reasoning for going with a variable is to deal with shorter, faster shooting. my main reason for buying this gun was for a brown bear hunt. so i wanted to be able to drop down to 2x or so in case i needed a fast shot. i thought about going fixed, but i thought 4x might be too much for the fast and close, and i'm not very comfortable shooting very long with a 2.5x.

May I suggest a Weaver Grand Slam in 1.5-5X? Took one to Africa and it worked great. A 5X magnification works very well on the 9.3X62 and you still have the low end for brush hunting.

schloss;

I've had zero problems with close/fast shots with 4x or even 6x scopes.

In fact, I've made shots at 200+, on small deer, with a 2.5x scope.

Pick your poison, but I prefer simplicity and avoidance of Murphy's Law as much as possible.

Either way, it's a great rifle, and a GREAT cartridge. So much so, that I'm downsizing the inventory, and the 9.3x62 is going to be the ONLY non-varmint/plinking caliber and rifle in-house. There's nothing in NA, and nothing in the world (depending on country) that the rifle and cartridge could not do, and it does it so easily. .375H&H ballistics with .30-06 recoil; what ain't to like?

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing pics of the bear.

Back