New Tikka

Silverfox

Finally got the scope mount system I ordered from Millett. Kind of wish I would have waited a couple days more because someone eventually suggested I go with the Weaver 61 bases and the Burris Zee rings with the inserts. Yep, I was in a big hurry to get this thing put together. Don't get me wrong, the Millett system looks nice and will work fine until I buy a scope with a 30mm tube on it. Then I'll get the scope mount rings with the inserts.

The OAL of the loads will exceed the length of the magazine, so I might be in the market for a .243 type magazine if anyone knows where to get one on the inexpensive side. Otherwise I may have to get out the old cutting torch and welder and go to work on the clip that's in there.

Here are a few pictures of the new Tikka Master Sporter in 22-250.

Rifle without the scope.

View

Right side view from ImageStation.com picture hosting site:

feaa74be.jpg.orig.jpg

Left side view:

View

[This message has been edited by Silverfox (edited 04-16-2001).]

Lord that thing is ugly. Almost as ugly as mine. I have a 700 action, 26 in Douglas extra heavy varmint chambered in 22-250 AI set in a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock. Weighs 18 lbs. with a Leupold VariX III 6.5 X 20. I named it "Lurch" because it's such a big ole ugly green thing. But my goodness, how it shoots. Hope yours is a keeper too Silverfox.

SilverFox...

I heard them things don't shoot well at all...
biggrin.gif

To save you from wasting your time with that ulgy rifle, why don't you just send it down here to me?

On the serious side of things.... that's one nice looking rifle. I've heard that rifle is a good, very good in fact, shooter. Please post some photos of what it does with good loads when you have time.

Wish I had one....
wink.gif

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

Thanks to all for the nice comments on my "ugly" rifle. It won't win any beauty contests, that's for sure, but that's not why I bought it. I hope it lives up the meaning behind the Tikka symbol--

fea167d9.jpg.orig.jpg

The heads are those of a woodpecker which continues to hit the same hole over, and over, and over. Hope that's the way this rifle shoots.

AzWill--I'll be sure to post pictures of the targets after I get the barrel broken in and a few loads worked up. I'm anxious to get at it, but have to take a week-long business trip to Atlanta, GA, so I won't be doing any shooting until after Easter. It is going to be hard to wait that long, but it is so wet around here now after 6 inches of wet snow, that I couldn't get out to the rifle range if I had the time.

I also just got a Kodak DC4800 3.1 megapixel digital camera. Now there will be no excuse for not getting pictures of most of the events going on in my life.

[This message has been edited by Silverfox (edited 04-17-2001).]

Silverfox. . .

Have I got a deal for you!

Since you can't shoot it right now, if you'll send it my way... I'd be more that glad to break it in for you.

That's one of the many benefits of belonging to Predator Masters. We have a very good new rifle/barrel breaking in program and it's all free of charge...
wink.gif

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

AzWill, i already offered to "season" it for Silverfox down here over the summer, but he was gonna CHARGE me!!! Hahahaha, can you believe that?

Silverfox, i don't think that rifle is ugly at all. Looks to me like it means business -- shooting -- period.

[This message has been edited by Encore223 (edited 04-09-2001).]

Silverfox,
Ugly, I THINK NOT! I LOVE the looks of that thing! I am told that the tikka's are pretty reasonably priced, what was the price of that baby, if you dont mind my asking?
Also, can you get it in a heavy barrle with that stock? I am looking for a new prarie dog rifle for my upcoming hunt in June, and that JUST might fit the bill REAL nicely!
Let me know.

Az Will, unfortunately, as Encore223 said, he already offered to break in my Tikka for me. I respectfully delcined his fine offer and I'll have to do the same with your offer. No hard feelings I hope.

Yep, our weather is a little on the nasty side--I spent last week in Atlanta, GA where the temperatures got into the 70s and high 80s almost every day. When I got back into North Dakota on Easter Sunday afternoon, the wind was blowing a steady 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph. The temperature was a balmy 33 degrees at the time our plane touched down. An hour later it was down to 30 degrees and by the time I hit Williston it was 27 degrees.

I was tempted to rush right out to the shooting range, but thought I'd opt to stay inside where it was warm for a day or two. I may get a chance to test fire the rifle some time later this week.

Is anyone having problems with the photos I posted not loading? The three photos in the original post haven't appeared after about 5 minutes of waiting. I can't remember if I used PhotoPoint, Yahoo!Photo or what to post those photos

The Tikka patch is stored at Yahoo!Photo and it wouldn't load for me until I right clicked on it, copied the URL, pasted it into the Address location, hit Enter and got the picture to appear at Yahoo!Photo. Then it appeared in my post.

rhino99--My dealer charged me $740 plus sales tax. I have seen this same rifle listed on the Internet for $729 plus shipping. Then of course, there would be a fee to pay to your FFL dealer too. The rifle you are looking at in the photos IS a heavy barrel. The stock is really quite large on the forend and may make the barrel look smaller than it is. The barrel diameter is 0.800" at the muzzle. The barrel is listed at 23.375" in length and the weight without a scope, bipod, sling, etc. is listed at 9 pounds. This is not a walk-around gun for the feint of heart. I plan to use it for prairie dog hunting and may take it out for coyotes on rare occasions. When I go after prairie dogs I park my vehicle and spend the day walking around the dog town and shooting in the prone position from the top of PD mounds.

Although I haven't taken a shot with the Tikka yet, I am very impressed with the craftsmanship. I do wish they would take the blank out of the magazine because I cannot use the magazine as my bullets will be seated out too far. Extra .308 magazines, which I am told will work in the 22-250, cost around $62.00. Ouch!!! I may try to make the current magazine work with my loads.

Tikka makes a Continental model that is weighs 8.125 pounds and has the same barrel length with the heavy barrel. I think it is maybe $100 or so cheaper than the Master Sporter model I have. It doesn't have the adjustable cheek piece or adjustable butt pad either.

Here is a link where you can see the rifles and also look a a data table with specifications for each of the models Tikka makes. http://www.sako.fi/tikka/fr-tables.html

I don't think you'll be unhappy if you choose to buy a Tikka.

[This message has been edited by Silverfox (edited 04-16-2001).]

Back