What would you guy's rate Black and tan's from a 1 to 10

Depends on the area ... Black and tans are great start dogs they have one hell of a cold nose, but the ones i have seen are slow they are a good start dog, (and july have a great nose,good cold trailers,good start dogs ... but in my experience the dog runs to catch whatever they are trained to hunt) ... So they burn out fast ... Now not all dogs are the same ... i am not saying that they are all like this, but we have two july for the start dogs and when we get the dog up and running we use Fox-Hounds Running Walkers they tend to set a pace and will run for hours ... i lean toward walkers ... it is a opinion more then anything ... Cuz i know guys that just use july only and do very well ...

Most black and tans I've seen and owned did not have good enough pads on their feet to take the long runs that a coyote can do. I'm not saying all of them will have this problem but the ones I've seen and owned couldn't stand up to real hard long runs without tearing pads. We have a black and tan cross right now, don't know what it was crossed with that looks great and has good hard pads. Who knows. All the other black and tans we owned burnt their pads off right away. Good for coon though, not a fast paced dog.

If you want to run coyotes I'd spend a couple hunderd bucks and get a good running dog. B&T's are not coyote dogs if you dont beleave me come to my place sometime and watch my buddys bear/coyote B&T's get blown out. The hounds just dont have the lung capacity like the running dogs do. That is not an opinion it is a fact. One of the guys we hunt with has Track Down bread B&T's some of the best bear dogs out there and he also has 4-6 running walkers the B&T's never leave the farm in the winter.
I don't want to ruffle any feathers but my point is if you want to drive a nail you use a hammer not a pipe wrench. There are certin tools for certin jobs if you use the right one the job is much easier.

If it was me i would spend the money on a running hound not a tree hound for coyotes. most tree hounds are way to slow. i started off with half treeing walker/plot and they didnot make it for coyote hounds. now i have croghan breed walkers. good luck. take your time.

Quote:
If you want to run coyotes I'd spend a couple hunderd bucks and get a good running dog. B&T's are not coyote dogs if you dont beleave me come to my place sometime and watch my buddys bear/coyote B&T's get blown out. The hounds just dont have the lung capacity like the running dogs do. That is not an opinion it is a fact. One of the guys we hunt with has Track Down bread B&T's some of the best bear dogs out there and he also has 4-6 running walkers the B&T's never leave the farm in the winter.
I don't want to ruffle any feathers but my point is if you want to drive a nail you use a hammer not a pipe wrench. There are certin tools for certin jobs if you use the right one the job is much easier.

For everyone has there opinion...

My black and tans blow the snot out of Red bones,walkers,plotts,july's,blue ticks well basically everyone out of the 30 dogs we hunt with Excellent cold nose, speed on the track and stamina for a long run only one complant is there feet are tender but on one of mine when it was a pup put boots on her and now she runs everytime with them on....not trying to start nothing but every dog is different just like the situation...

Just another thing to WICOYOTE

I have a male From That Line "track down"

Got him from a guy in Osseo-Fairchild Wi
It would be interseting to see that paperwork to see where everything falls in line

Thanks CCoyoterun

Dad, had one very large Black/Tan male [110 lbs]. I can't recall his name now. He was slow but consistant. Didn't have the nose of ole Pokey, Dad's male[Walker-hound]. Nor run a cold track like Pokey.

Regardless, both hounds were fearless & relentless on coyote & 1-wolf. They both fought that wolf, long & hard. Wolf whipped them bad. Wolf got away.

Black and Tan are great tree dogs but not so strong runners.My Walkers or Blue Ticks will run the legs off a BT ,but their noses are weak.I think if you could start a track with a BT,and run it with a Walker ,or other running dog you would have the best of both dogs.Just my opinion.

CC do you run with Running Walkers or Treeing Walkers? I have no doubt your B&T can keep up in a circle chase but 18-24 inches of snow and 4-5 sections later the hounds are usualy, but not always, in the rear with the gear. The nose and grit of a B&T is without a doubt an excelent quality. My buddy just lost his female walker so now he is pickin up a high tan which is running walker B&T cross good nose good grit good stamina. They wont win any pen races but their pretty nice outside hounds.
The guys name is Welsh from Highland WI
Where in Western WI are you?

BTW CC there is a seires hunt in Monroe this summer 35 dogs per cast with 24 months and under on Sat. and 24 and 1 day on up on Sun. $20 entry top 10 advance from each of 3 qualifiers. Finals are in Oct.
I have 2 pups entered just to see how they stack up against the others in the country. It should be a great time.
Sat eve after puppy race is a cook out. I can't rember but I think the second puppy race is a kids race with a prize for each kid. It's either the second or third weekend. If you want more info, or anyone for that matter, PM me and I can get you the contact info.

Back