Fog?

Moe

Do you guys hunt in it? Say visibility is 100 yards or so. Also, do coyotes not move as much when there is an overcast?

I have heard that most animals don't move as much in the fog because it affects their sense of smell. I don't have enough experience yet to know if this is true or not, just what I have heard.

They move around in it but they are very hidden. they will circle around downwind just outside the range you can see and you will never see them. We have called them in several times but everytime they hung up right out of seeing them range and sat and barked at us for 10-15 minutes and then they boogied.

Not all predators go downwind like coyotes do and coyotes don't always go downwind. Of the ones I have taken in the fog, they were in the open and easy shots as I recall.

Yep songdogslayer, good point. I always set up where I'm looking crosswind or downwind. In the case of fog, upwind would not be a bad idea if you go set downwind say maybe 50 yards.

We've had excellent response from fox when it's foggy, but we hunt only at night as well. Those conditions make for some challenging shooting. I would think with that much moisture in the air, it would help a predator's sense of smell. Growing up we noticed our beagles would pick up a rabbits scent much easier when it was damp.

Back